Not a Hometown Hero

seekeroftruth

Matthew 13:53 When Jesus had finished these parables, he moved on from there. 54 Coming to his hometown, he began teaching the people in their synagogue, and they were amazed. “Where did this man get this wisdom and these miraculous powers?” they asked. 55 “Isn’t this the carpenter’s son? Isn’t his mother’s name Mary, and aren’t his brothers James, Joseph, Simon and Judas? 56 Aren’t all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all these things?” 57 And they took offense at him.
But Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his own town and in his own home.”
58 And he did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith.
When I was a kid, sitting up in Mr. Whipple's apple tree, talking about faith.... I had a ton of faith. My friends all thought miracles only happened in the times when the Bible was being written. They didn't believe in miracles. I did. As long as Jesus is alive.... there will be miracles. His Father, Our Father, will make sure of that.

Now I'm old. I know for fact miracles still take place. I wonder, do my old friends still think miracles don't happen anymore? Surely, they have seen their grandchildren and changed their minds.

Jesus talked about the weeds and the yeast getting into the wheat and the flour. Non-believers, CINOs, and dis-believers are warming the pews and gulping up the bread and wine in our churches. Can you tell the weeds from the wheat? Can you tell the CINO from the Christian? God can. Our Father knows His Own Son.... and all of us who came home to dinner with Him.

Jesus wasn't here to please the people. He was here to conquer death. Those people had seen Him grow up.... people who we grow up with... people who sit in the apple tree and discuss faith... do not go on to be Great Prophets. They just figured He had a wild imagination, or He was insane. Prophets just don't grow up in a town like the one He grew up in. The Messiah will sit on a throne.... not a block of unhewn wood. That's what they think!

The people who knew Him from His childhood, just could not accept the fact He is their Messiah. They shunned Him because they knew Him to be just like them. He took off His "Prophet, Son of God" hat when He was with them. They couldn't handle the truth.

Jesus was not a Hometown Hero.

:coffee: