Not again.....colic!

R

remaxrealtor

My baby boy coliced again last night. As always, it was horrible to see him going through that, but it's twice in a month now. Dr. Miller thinks it is tied to air pressure changes as there has been a front moving through both times.

He's better this morning. I hung with him till 1 am, and my WONDERFUL husband made a bed of horse blankets in his stall and stayed with him all night.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, we're off to Leesburg for tests before it happens again. It is heart wrenching so see him so unhappy :bawl: Has anyone had experience with Leesburg in a non-emergency situation? Am I gonna have to mortgage the house?

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Leesburg or Newbolton are great for that...diognostic...

I have had alot of people on the Paso board say their horses have been colicing because of weather change...alot...

He never was sick one day when I had him......you been blanketing and unblanketing? Just leave them off for now until it is really cold..

Good luck..if you need me...call

R

remaxrealtor

mingiz said:
So sorry to hear that ReMax. :huggy: If ya need help let us know.
You guys really are great!

I caught some sleep, and am getting ready to head back down....we still have no poop! :jameo: He's not as bad this time, but on the other hand, he rallied much more quickly last time.

Dr. Miller....WHO I MUST SAY IS JUST THE GREATEST............said the same thing as Paso, lots of colic due to the weather, but twice in a month?

My Amish nag is transforming into a hothouse flower :drama: .

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
:huggy: For you and Lou! We've had friends with good experiences at Woodside Equine Clinic in Ashland Va (right near Kings Dominion). For scheduled visits and surgeries they are at least half as expensive as Leesburg and have a very well qualified staff. Luckily we've never need their emergency services but I'm sure it would be less expensive for that than Leesburg. Their number is (804-798-3281). Hope Lou pulls through quickly!!!

barncat

HorseLady said:
:huggy: For you and Lou! We've had friends with good experiences at Woodside Equine Clinic in Ashland Va (right near Kings Dominion). For scheduled visits and surgeries they are at least half as expensive as Leesburg and have a very well qualified staff. Luckily we've never need their emergency services but I'm sure it would be less expensive for that than Leesburg. Their number is (804-798-3281). Hope Lou pulls through quickly!!!

I used Woodside for my guys athritis and they were wonderful to deal with each time. They have excellent facilities.

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
Our prayers are with you and Lou :huggy: We have had colics in the past here which were felt to be weather related. As strong as they want to act on the outside, they are so sensitive in the gut...it is amazing what can set a horse into internal distress...unfortunately we normally never know what is the cause of the gas colics.

After Lou gets thru this, I too, feel that the blanket needs to be used sparingly to let his cost come in fully. I feel the inmune system is stronger when they are under the stars and under natures blanket. (except for extreme cases, and with shelter available, ofcourse)

Katt

You might consider feeding Omegatin to a colicy horse. Once they colic, they can develop a tendancy to colic repeatedly. Some horses are very sensative to feed management changes or poor hay... or possibly questionable hay or grain that might be on the verge (but not obviously evident) spoiling. Plenty-o-water at all times helps aid digestion. But as I said, Omegatin, albeit pricey, is a very good choice for the horse that has a sensative GI tract. It's high in fats, and low in starch, which will help with a horse that's on the nervous side too, like my thoroughbred. I feed it to him as a dressing to our normal oats mix. Too much oats gives him too much energy, if you get my drift. (takes him back to his track days) You don't have to feed as much volume of Omegatin either, so it's overall, easier on their tummy. Just a suggestion.

Katt

Katt said:
You might consider feeding Omegatin to a colicy horse. Once they colic, they can develop a tendancy to colic repeatedly. Some horses are very sensative to feed management changes or poor hay... or possibly questionable hay or grain that might be on the verge (but not obviously evident) spoiling. Plenty-o-water at all times helps aid digestion. But as I said, Omegatin, albeit pricey, is a very good choice for the horse that has a sensative GI tract. It's high in fats, and low in starch, which will help with a horse that's on the nervous side too, like my thoroughbred. I feed it to him as a dressing to our normal oats mix. Too much oats gives him too much energy, if you get my drift. (takes him back to his track days) You don't have to feed as much volume of Omegatin either, so it's overall, easier on their tummy. Just a suggestion.
Another thing to consider, breaking up feeding times to smaller, more frequent meals. I feed our horses 3 meals a day... hay and grain each time. We have draft horses too, and since they eat alot, tend to have gastric issues too. Sometimes keeping a bottle of ACE around as a muscle relaxent helps too, if they are starting to tighten up. Gotta know how to inject it in the juggular, though, so if that's not something you are comfortable with, by all means, get them out and walk them around to loosen things up. I sure hope you find out it's nothing causing it medically. Good luck, Remax. Keep us updated. :huggy:

R

remaxrealtor

We had a rep from Blue Seal feed out to the farm yesterday. Really nice girl and very knowledgable. She suggested immediately getting him off the sweet feed, as sugar tends to ferment in the system. I guess this means cutting down on the sugary treats he so enjoys. Do natural sugars like apples and carrots count?

He was much better last night, didn't eat all the bran mash, which is VERY unusual for Pigasaurus Rex, but took a huge poop and then drank a good bit and munched hay.

Thanks to everyone for the warm thoughts, they're working. I know we all feel this way about our horses, but he's special....after the life he's had, I want his days with me to be healthy and happy. the prayers work so much better than meds! Love you guys.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I tried to call you before I saw this post...Wanted to know how he is...I have not used sweet feed in a long time...good luck..Glad he is better..

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Katt said:
Another thing to consider, breaking up feeding times to smaller, more frequent meals. I feed our horses 3 meals a day... hay and grain each time. We have draft horses too, and since they eat alot, tend to have gastric issues too. Sometimes keeping a bottle of ACE around as a muscle relaxent helps too, if they are starting to tighten up. Gotta know how to inject it in the juggular, though, so if that's not something you are comfortable with, by all means, get them out and walk them around to loosen things up. I sure hope you find out it's nothing causing it medically. Good luck, Remax. Keep us updated. :huggy:

Ace tends to slow down the digestive system NOT what you want...Use BANAMINE instead..not ACE to a colicy horse.

R

remaxrealtor

persimmoncf said:
I ALWAYS have banamine injections on hand. http://www.animalforum.com/hcolic.htm
Thanks for the read!

Julie keeps banamine on hand. She had given him an injection before I even got there. Again, I owe she and several others at FIF a debt of gratitude. The man who owns the tack shop there was GREAT, walking him, cleaning the stall and Bubby's nephew got him on his feet....HUGE hugs to all of them! :love:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I always have Banamine and many other drugs on hand..including xilocane and suture material in case I need to stitch someone up..

Remax...

Strongid daily wormer if purchased from a vet will give you free colic surgery if needed

Major medical will give you diognostic and colic surgery..runs about 3% mortality plus around $400 yr for major medical..$10K in mortality and diognostic and colic surgery runs about $700 yr.

There is another company that offers mortality for the 2.5-3% and 1/2 the value of the horse in colic surgery coverage..Vence has this one..So say a $8K horse would be $240 a year and you get $4K in colic surgery..

Something to look into if he keeps pulling this crap...

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
remaxrealtor said:
Dr. Miller thinks it is tied to air pressure changes as there has been a front moving through both times.

Wow, I didn't know horses were that fragile!

I don't know anything about horses. Is this something that affects domesticated animals only, or are wild horses jut as susceptible?

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Lugnut said:
Wow, I didn't know horses were that fragile!

I don't know anything about horses. Is this something that affects domesticated animals only, or are wild horses jut as susceptible?

I would say it is more prone in domesticated animals...the wild ones are much hardier...

We keep ours in in bad weather...We blanket them when cold and then take blankets off when warm...we leave the blankets on on warmer days then they sweat...We feed meals a couple times a day...Horses guts are designed to eat all the time as in the wild..I am sure wild horses get sick..but not near as often as the domesticated babied ones..

Cowgirl

remaxrealtor said:
Thanks for the read!

Julie keeps banamine on hand. She had given him an injection before I even got there. Again, I owe she and several others at FIF a debt of gratitude. The man who owns the tack shop there was GREAT, walking him, cleaning the stall and Bubby's nephew got him on his feet....HUGE hugs to all of them! :love:

Please just remember that banamine treats the signs (of pain), not the cause. I've seen too many times people just give banamine and think everything is ok. Y'all probably all know that, but I just wanted to give a little reminder! :howdy:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Cowgirl said:
Please just remember that banamine treats the signs (of pain), not the cause. I've seen too many times people just give banamine and think everything is ok. Y'all probably all know that, but I just wanted to give a little reminder! :howdy:

Yep but it sure helps until you find the real cause and alleviate it...It will also help bring a fever down..