Not again.....colic!

persimmoncf said:
I ALWAYS have banamine injections on hand.

We always had this on hand too :yay: We usually kept a tight lookout on the horses anytime the weather fluctuated. Oklahoma was horrible because we would have 60-70 degrees in the morning then drop to 30 before 3 PM. Of course, it can be gorgeous weather and a horse will colic. It's all in how early you catch it. I'm so glad that you have caught Lou early :huggy:

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
Pasofever said:
I would say it is more prone in domesticated animals...the wild ones are much hardier...

We keep ours in in bad weather...We blanket them when cold and then take blankets off when warm...we leave the blankets on on warmer days then they sweat...We feed meals a couple times a day...Horses guts are designed to eat all the time as in the wild..I am sure wild horses get sick..but not near as often as the domesticated babied ones..

Cool :yay: thanks for the info.

Can you give me an idea of what annual cost of ownership in St. Marys would be for a horse?

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
remaxrealtor said:
Thanks for the read!

Julie keeps banamine on hand. She had given him an injection before I even got there. Again, I owe she and several others at FIF a debt of gratitude. The man who owns the tack shop there was GREAT, walking him, cleaning the stall and Bubby's nephew got him on his feet....HUGE hugs to all of them! :love:
:huggy: Remax...So sorry to hear about Lou colicing again. How is he doing today? I wanted to share something with you that Dr Tacia told us when Eastwood colic'd and we didn't see any poop...She said put him on the trailer :doh: why didn't I think of that? We put him on the trailer and just like magic :lmao: plop...plop. So now if we see any signs of colic on the trailer they go :jameo:

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
remaxrealtor said:
We had a rep from Blue Seal feed out to the farm yesterday. Really nice girl and very knowledgable. She suggested immediately getting him off the sweet feed, as sugar tends to ferment in the system. I guess this means cutting down on the sugary treats he so enjoys. Do natural sugars like apples and carrots count?

He was much better last night, didn't eat all the bran mash, which is VERY unusual for Pigasaurus Rex, but took a huge poop and then drank a good bit and munched hay.

Thanks to everyone for the warm thoughts, they're working. I know we all feel this way about our horses, but he's special....after the life he's had, I want his days with me to be healthy and happy. the prayers work so much better than meds! Love you guys.

I have a spring time colic guy, no sweet feed for him ever. I have had great luck with Stradegy by I think Purina. I know Blue Seal has something similiar to that. I always keep a bottle of banamine around, just a shot right into the muscle. As soon as my guy starts to show signs he gets his shot and put in the stall with just water until he comes around. So far so good. Good luck with your guy.

SouthernMdRocks

mygoldnhorse said:
:huggy: Remax...So sorry to hear about Lou colicing again. How is he doing today? I wanted to share something with you that Dr Tacia told us when Eastwood colic'd and we didn't see any poop...She said put him on the trailer :doh: why didn't I think of that? We put him on the trailer and just like magic :lmao: plop...plop. So now if we see any signs of colic on the trailer they go :jameo:

Cool idea! Natural laxative..

Sparks

Pasofever said:
I always have Banamine and many other drugs on hand..including xilocane and suture material in case I need to stitch someone up..

Remax...

Strongid daily wormer if purchased from a vet will give you free colic surgery if needed

Major medical will give you diognostic and colic surgery..runs about 3% mortality plus around $400 yr for major medical..$10K in mortality and diognostic and colic surgery runs about $700 yr.

There is another company that offers mortality for the 2.5-3% and 1/2 the value of the horse in colic surgery coverage..Vence has this one..So say a $8K horse would be $240 a year and you get $4K in colic surgery..

Something to look into if he keeps pulling this crap...

I got stuck paying for colic surgery. It was about 7-8 yrs ago but I know I spent over $5,000. out of pocket. :jameo: I was slacking with my insurance.

If the horse has a colic history, I'm not so sure strongid would still cover a new episode.

Keeping a horse insured is so worth it just for the major medical. It's really tuff to have to make the choice between life and death in an emergency situation.

SerenitStables

remaxrealtor said:
My baby boy coliced again last night. As always, it was horrible to see him going through that, but it's twice in a month now. Dr. Miller thinks it is tied to air pressure changes as there has been a front moving through both times.

He's better this morning. I hung with him till 1 am, and my WONDERFUL husband made a bed of horse blankets in his stall and stayed with him all night.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, we're off to Leesburg for tests before it happens again. It is heart wrenching so see him so unhappy :bawl: Has anyone had experience with Leesburg in a non-emergency situation? Am I gonna have to mortgage the house?

Hi Remax,

How's your boy doing? Hopefully he is getting better!!!

~Jen~

R

remaxrealtor

happyappygirl said:
:tap: WELL??? How is he??
Spent all evening with him, he's his rotten/sweet/spoiled self again! :lmao:

We're trying the "no sugar" program, to see if that's the problem since it's gas colic.

Buffing up the insurance just in case and MORE EXERCISE.

Alvin is coming along as well! He is one sweet horse for sure!!!!!

SouthernMdRocks

remaxrealtor said:

We're trying the "no sugar" program, to see if that's the problem since it's gas colic.

The no sugar program is the way to go. Be extra careful in the springtime with the new grass, lots of sugar.

K

Katie

Poor Lou...

I am at home today. My hubby had 3 wisdom teeth taken out today, and I have to let him wake up more before I go to the barn.

GallopNTec

remaxrealtor said:

Glad to hear Lou is doing well- does he know he's on a no sugar program? LOL- no more jelly beans from me!
I'm gonna PM you with my #- K?
Hope to see you this weekend :howdy:

Seahorse3

Something to think about...grain is not a natural food for a horse. Best to give lots of hay, not much grain and fresh water. Temperature changes (cold to warm) will catch horses unaware, and they may not have enough water in their system for proper digestion. Put your ear right against your horse's belly (down low toward the rear) and you can hear gut sounds--the louder, the better. Most peeps feed way too much grain and not enough hay which is a colic waiting to happen.

R

remaxrealtor

Seahorse3 said:
Something to think about...grain is not a natural food for a horse. Best to give lots of hay, not much grain and fresh water. Temperature changes (cold to warm) will catch horses unaware, and they may not have enough water in their system for proper digestion. Put your ear right against your horse's belly (down low toward the rear) and you can hear gut sounds--the louder, the better. Most peeps feed way too much grain and not enough hay which is a colic waiting to happen.
Good info, thanks!

I've switched him up to Blue Seal pellets. Keeping my fingers crossed!