Not building a new house after all!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Christy said:
Where did you find the leather paneling? What's it look like?
I found it at Lowe's. It looks like dark leather but it's hard paneling, so the design is like painted on or however they do it. It looks realistic unless you actually inspect it up close. When I first saw it, my instinct was to reach out and feel it - was surprised that it wasn't soft to the touch.

Christy

b*tch rocket
vraiblonde said:
I found it at Lowe's. It looks like dark leather but it's hard paneling, so the design is like painted on or however they do it. It looks realistic unless you actually inspect it up close. When I first saw it, my instinct was to reach out and feel it - was surprised that it wasn't soft to the touch.
Cool. I need to check that out. We're still trying to figure out what to do with the walls in our big family room. It's currently that awful wood paneling. Wonder if you can put paneling over paneling. :confused:

I found a site that has real leather wall covering in every shape and style. http://www.interiorsurfaces.com/Main.shtml I can only imagine what the cost would be. :yikes:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Christy said:
Wonder if you can put paneling over paneling.
Paneling is easy (and fun!) to rip out. If you want to save it back for something, you can gently pry it out. Or you can do like we did and attack it with a claw hammer :lol:

I would think real leather would be a ##### to clean and keep up with.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Actually, I take that back. For large surfaces it would be a #####. But it would be really cool to accent walls or what-have-you.

Christy

b*tch rocket
vraiblonde said:
Paneling is easy (and fun!) to rip out. If you want to save it back for something, you can gently pry it out. Or you can do like we did and attack it with a claw hammer :lol:
Problem is, I'm afraid (very afraid) as to what I'll find behind the paneling. I believe it was a do it yourself job from the previous owner's, and I have to say, every project they tackled they did half assed.

K

Kizzy

Christy said:
Cool. I need to check that out. We're still trying to figure out what to do with the walls in our big family room. It's currently that awful wood paneling. Wonder if you can put paneling over paneling. :confused:

I found a site that has real leather wall covering in every shape and style. http://www.interiorsurfaces.com/Main.shtml I can only imagine what the cost would be. :yikes:

Have you considered painting it?

My hubby's mom is a fricken guro at decorating and she painted her paneling. It looks fantastic. :shrug:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Kizzy said:
Have you considered painting it?

My hubby's mom is a fricken guro at decorating and she painted her paneling. It looks fantastic. :shrug:
Yep, that's what I planned on doing until Vrai mentioned leather(ish) paneling. I'm waiting until we get our new furniture gets delivered before we do anything. Need to get a feel for what will look best with it. Heck, maybe once we have the new couch, it'll look good with the paneling. :shrug: I did get pillows with dark brown accents in them. Maybe the paneling won't look so countryish with the new couch. I'm going for the contemporary look. I guess we'll see.

Vrai, have you checked out quartz as an option for your counter tops? A friend of mine who's husband is a chef, insisted on quartz, it's pretty indestructible. I hope you stick with having two fridges in the kitchen, I would LOVE to have two in my kitchen.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Christy said:
Vrai, have you checked out quartz as an option for your counter tops?
We've looked at...it's like a stone type of material. It's not ceramic or granite - I can't think of what it's called. I'll have to look into quartz. I have a friend who is remodeling her kitchen and she's going with quartz countertops.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Christy said:
I hope you stick with having two fridges in the kitchen, I would LOVE to have two in my kitchen.
I think what I want is a beer cooler type of thing, like you'd see in a pizza joint or something. My BIL has one and it looks really cool. Regardless, the current #2 fridge has to go - either get gone or be replaced - because it is an eyesore and makes me grouchy to look at it.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I painted the paneling at my old house and it looked fantastic. But it's a bit of work. You need to prime it first with "Kilz" so there's no bleed through, let it dry thoroughly, and then paint it. The little grooves are a b!tch to get paint in too. :burning:

morganj614

Just saw this on HGTV

Quartz Counters
Okite claims its Marble Quartz is the world’s only veined quartz counter top. The solid surface has all the performance benefits of a manufactured surface but the beauty of marble. It looks so realistic, only an expert could tell the difference.
More Information
Seieffe Industries Italy
Toll-free: 866-Okite-97 (866-654-8397)
E-mail: info@okite.us

I have also painted paneling but it is not a contemporary look. It was in my country kitchen and has more of a wainscoting look.

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
vraiblonde said:
And I must say I'm very pleased with the decision. :yay:

Between the lot and the house, we were looking at $1,000,000 (yes, you read that right - a million dollars :holychit:). So rather than be a slave to our mortgage, Larry and I have decided to just renovate the house we have. We're gutting and redoing the kitchen, ditching our crappy cat-infested carpeting for hardwood floors, replacing the vinyl flooring with granite tile, refacing the fireplace and expanding my laundry room to get rid of the PITA pantry and replace it with a folding table.

I found a very cool leather-look paneling that is surprisingly cheap and will go on the wall that houses my fireplace.

And we're doing the wall behind the stove in brick paving stones to give it that rustic look and feel.

Along the big diningroom wall will be built-in bookshelves, glass casing for my dolls and a dry bar.

We'll redo our master bath in something more interesting than the crappy white marble sink tops and ugly fixtures that are currently there.

All for significantly less - like about 1/20th of the cost- than that other figure above that I can't bear to mention again. And I will have my dream home! :clap:

The very coolest thing in the world that I found while picking through Lowes for ideas was this dishwasher, which has two separate and independent drawers so the problem of stuff on the top rack of the dishwasher not getting clean is eliminated.

I'm so happy! I feel like I've just been released from prison! :dance:
Vrai
Are you putting a trash compactor in the kitchen? We've had one for years now and love it! Just something to consider!!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
cattitude said:
Screen in that deck. :yay:
We were actually thinking about that - make the half where the awning is a screened porch and leave the other half open for sunbathing, grilling, etc. I think we're going to patio that walkout below the deck. That would be a cheap, easy improvement.

R

remaxrealtor

Another great idea for wall covering, especially covering paneling, is venetian plaster. The basic premise is to take drywall mud and thin it (w/ water I think) and mix in tint or paint color to the depth you'd like. Do what's called a knock-down of the drywall mud all over the walls, then once it dries, you rub on a wax that gives it a shine. If anyone has been to the Coffee Quarter in San Souci, they've done it there in yellow and it's BEAUTIFUL! I bet you could get good step-by-steps on the DIY website.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
There are some great suggestions here, Vrai. These ideas, along with what you already have planned, will have you living is a magnificent house. Good luck with everything!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
We were actually thinking about that - make the half where the awning is a screened porch and leave the other half open for sunbathing, grilling, etc. I think we're going to patio that walkout below the deck. That would be a cheap, easy improvement.
Do it. I am so glad I screened-in the back porch on my house. The front porch is open and the insects are so bad. It's nice to have a refuge from them and to be able to dine al fresco in peace. :yay:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
SmallTown said:
When I visit my parents, my dog is always slipping and sliding on the hardwood floors. Funny to watch, but can't be good for his legs and joints!
Maybe you should teach him that it's not appropriate to run in the house. :duh:

:biggrin: