Not even the grave offers relief from crushing student loan debt

herb749

Here's a bit from the article.

Are you friken insane? 200K for learning to be a teacher? Unless you are teaching people ho eto make millions, no teaching job in the history of teaching is going to ever pay that off. Here's what I mean about a sanity check. How the hell do you lend 200K to someone who's only ever destined to make 70-90K tops on average?. And yes, I'm being very generous with teaching salaries there. Who takes a a loan outside a mortgage that big?

That is crazy high for wanting to be a teacher.

herb749

Scholarships to help with the first year.

Job to pay room and board for 2 years.

And... it was STILL a $200K debt?? What school was this? Harvard??

It might depend on how long she was in school. She may have kept changing her major. Still $200. K is a bit too much.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My daughter got her AA from CSM in Cyber Security while working full time, landed a decent paying job with one of the most respected contractors in the area, and is now pursuing her BS on the company's dime. Plus, she made the dean's list every semester.

Nobody has to go $200k into debt for a damned 4 year degree. They choose to take the easy route, not thinking far enough ahead to realize that loans have to be repaid.

My daughter started out studying for early childhood education until she realized that most people today are raising brats with no manners. Now she's decided she doesn't even want kids of her own because of the actions of the demon spawn some people are raising these days.
:ohwell:

WingsOfGold

Never co-sign for a loan you don't expect to pay off.

~ Wisdom From Vrai
Yup, I was asked or should I say told to co sign, not just NO but HELL no!
Two step daughters did it on their own, grant for U of Ga on one, outrageous bill for other from Emery U but she is making huge bucks. Mine got free academic merit ride to Towson then another at St Johns for masters. Youngest owes for her teaching degree at Salisbury.
If I would have played Bank Of Dad I would probably be in a rented trailer right now.... sorry bout that!

officeguy

Are you friken insane? 200K for learning to be a teacher? Unless you are teaching people ho eto make millions, no teaching job in the history of teaching is going to ever pay that off. Here's what I mean about a sanity check. How the hell do you lend 200K to someone who's only ever destined to make 70-90K tops on average?. And yes, I'm being very generous with teaching salaries there. Who takes a a loan outside a mortgage that big?

Buttigiegs boyfriend managed to rack up 130k for a teaching degree.

Sallie Mae is at 5.49% for private student loans. Lets assume a worst case that the 200k is ALL private debt and financed out to 20 years, that's a monthly payment of $1375. Lots of rice&beans.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Buttigiegs boyfriend managed to rack up 130k for a teaching degree.

Sallie Mae is at 5.49% for private student loans. Lets assume a worst case that the 200k is ALL private debt and financed out to 20 years, that's a monthly payment of $1375. Lots of rice&beans.

Just to point out that Buttigieg’s SO is the husband. God bless the USA.

officeguy

That's what I did 20 years ago. Harder to do now.

If I am not mistaken, teacher pensions in MD go through the state and are transferable. While you may not be able to start out at some chi-chi school in Montgomery county where all the children are above average, I doubt Baltimore schools would turn you away if you show up with a bachelor's and a teaching certificate.

transporter

Students, families struggle to repay billions in crushing loan debts

Steve and Darnelle Mason made national headlines back in 2014, through their campaign to reform a student loan system that left them with six-figure debt following the death of their 27-year-old daughter, Lisa.

Four years later, the Masons say that despite their best efforts, they're now even worse off, thanks to private student loans that add up to more than $10 billion of financial stress for students and their families across the country.

These private loans make up just 11 percent of an estimated $106 billion in student loans across the country, according to StudentDebtRelief.com . But unlike federal student loans, which tend to cancel debt in the case of the borrower’s death, many of these private loans are far less forgiving of personal or financial hardships.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/0...to-repay-billions-in-crushing-loan-debts.html

Just to point out the stunningly obvious:

1. No one forced them to spend stupidly on an education...people who only get a Bachelors and end up with 6 figure college loan debt are just stupid.

2. Go to community college....finish at a public university. It's not rocket science.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member

1. No one forced them to spend stupidly on an education...people who only get a Bachelors and end up with 6 figure college loan debt are just stupid.

2. Go to community college....finish at a public university. It's not rocket science.
Just to point out the stunningly obious:

1. No one gives a crap what you have to say.

2. If you think someone gives a crap, see number 1.

:jet:

glhs837

Power with Control

Another stunner is that just maybe college needn't cost so damn much.