NRA endorses Bush

B

Bruzilla

Tonio said:
Bru and 2nd, your discussion about guns makes a good point that gun-control advocates seem to miss. In their minds, most "gun nuts" are right-wing terrorists holed up in the Idaho panhandle plotting to wage war on blacks and Jews. That's not it at all. You guys sound no different than gearheads talking about their classic hot rods, or techheads contrasting Pentium versus AMD. I can relate, since I love tech gadgets (except for cell phones). It's probably a guy thing. A man and his gun--it's a beautiful thing.

Thank you Tonio. Isn't it amazing how whenever the media wants a pro-gun view they always look for some inbred dude with three teeth and wearing cammies?

I collect military weapons the way people collect anything. Most all of my guns go from the seller to my gun rack and never get fired. I have a few that I take to the range for target practice, but most of them are there because I like them.

I agree 100% with you on cell phones. I don't understand why anyone feels that they need to be that "in touch" with anyone.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And in other shocking news, the New York Times has endorsed John Kerry for President! :jet:

I'll give you a minute to collect yourselves, then I'll make a prediction:

The Washington Post will endorse Kerry, too.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Bruzilla said:
I fired a USAF AR-15 (and yes... the lower was marked AR-15) in the Azores back in 1983 or so, and it was selective fire.

But again, the 8,000 or so AR-15s that LeMay bought were not U.S. Govie approved weapons, but they were not prototypes either. They were production pieces made to fill the order.
Don't doubt that you did. I got my information from http://geocities.com/thearactivist/Ammunition.htm . Here is a quote from the article.
Stoner invited General Curtis LeMay, USAF, Commanding General, Strategic Air Command (SAC) to a BBQ in Pennsylvania. After all, Stoner was an aircraft engineer and who better to understand his design than an aircraft General.

Once the meal was over, Stoner set up a demonstration by placing water melons, on saw horses, at varying distances. He then handed General LeMay his AR-15 and asked him to give it a try. The General was so impressed he placed an order right on the spot. The order was sufficient to outfit the entire Air Force's police force with the new rifle. This was the break Stoner, and the fledgling Armalite, had been hoping for. "It should be mentioned at this point that the rifle Stoner gave LeMay was indeed called an AR-15 but was, however, capable of full-automatic fire. Only during this "prototype" phase of development was the AR-15 a select fire weapon. Subsequent mentioning of the AR-15, here and elsewhere on this website, refers to the final production model which is the semi-automatic, civilian version.

Apparently, even though not marked such, the weapon you fired was considered a prototype by Armalite since you say it was capable of full auto.

Have a nice collection? I have some nice pieces too. I even have some very early cap and ball pistols and an original Ely Whitney cap and ball revolver.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Bruzilla said:
Sorry to be such a stickler for correct terminology, but the incorrect use of terms leads to a lot of misunderstandings.

A semi-auto weapon is one that fires and chambers a single round, without any manual operation of the action, for each time the trigger is pulled. This includes civilian AR-15s, M-1As, AKMs, M-1 Carbines, M-1 Garands, etc. A selective-fire weapon is one that can be fired in a semi-automatic, automatic, or burst mode. This includes USAF AR-15s, M-16s, M-14s, AK-47/74, M-2s, etc. Automatic weapons (there really is no "fully" automatic term, except from gun control types) fire until the trigger is released. These weapons have been out of vogue since WWII, and are primarily limited to heavy automatic weapons (M1934, M2, MG-42 etc.) and submachine guns (more correctly termed as machine pistols, as they were designed to fire pistol ammunition at a high rate and large numbers, such as the M-3, MP-38/40, Sten guns, etc.)

Also, assault weapons are properly defined as selective-fire weapons that fire sub-munitions. This would be any selective-fire weapon that fires a 5.56 NATO/.223, 7.62X39, 7.92X33K, etc., round. Main Battle Rifles (MBRs) are weapons that are designed to fire, manually, semi-automatically, or selective fire, a full-size round such as an 8MM, 30.06, .308/7.62X54, .303, etc., and includes the M-1 Garand, M-14, Springfield 1903, Mauser 98, FN/FAL, etc.
VERY good.. except your M2 Heavy Auto, the Ma- Deuce .50 Cal, is a select fire, you have to "set it" to fire Automatic, and was originally intended to be a single fire sniper rifle, to reach out and touch someone at ranges exceeding a 1/2 mile. If I remember correctly (it's been a LONG time), there's a large "knob" on the backplate that has a catch on it.. You pull down the auto selct switch, and turn the catch to hold it into place, turning your single fire M2 into an Auto M2.