Nra hq

E

EmptyTimCup

Exercised a little 2A Freedom, and the NRA Shooting Range ......... took my 24 yr old son out for a little male bonding / father - son day 1st time shooting something besides a 12g when he was 19 ....

had a great time, had to take a little competence test - passed 100%

Put about 300 rnds of 7.62 x 54R down range [I got the sore shoulder to prove it]

and for the record I had the loudest weapon on the range, even beat the guy with the Fulton Armory M1A in the lane next to me - although the guy to the right startled me with his AR clone ... [which has an FA or 3 rnd burst position so I am guessing he was a LEO] when he fired while I was setting up.

and the early 70's AK Patterned Muzzle Brakes work great for neutralizing muzzle climb on a Mosin Rifle

I have nothing on my M39 and got the typical climb after a shot, the shorter T53 Carbine, just pushed have into my shoulder

put a smile on my face when the guy with the $ 3000 M1A commented positively about the MB, after the range officer came over and asked if I had a GL on the front - he said guys spend $ 500 bucks on these 'fancy' MB's and the simple $ 20 AK Brake works better ........ :yahoo:

..... then we went over to Blue Ridge Arsenal in Chantilly and rented a couple of Glock's -- G17 and a G21 and put another 150 Rnds down range

1st time shooting a Glock, it wasn't hateful, I might consider getting a 21

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.Steed

I bet you had the biggest di*k, too?! Practicin' for Armageddon, are ya? How's that survivalist shelter comin' along?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I bet you had the biggest di*k, too?! Practicin' for Armageddon, are ya? How's that survivalist shelter comin' along?

Wow...

You got all that about a father and son spending a day together?

If they make it you should ask your doc for some prescription strength Pamprin.

dustin

UAIOE
Exercised a little 2A Freedom,

Did you go to the museum too?

I took the boy to the museum a while back and he enjoyed it... might have to go again this year.

How did you install that muzzle brake on a 91/30? Looks like it needs a pin.

E

EmptyTimCup

How did you install that muzzle brake on a 91/30? Looks like it needs a pin.

we did not go to the Museum, I would like to go back for that ...... also the Smithsonian has a nice collection ....

I slides up over the muzzle, then there is a piece that goes behind the sight, held on with 2 allen head screws

I saw several at Show Place yesterday...

dustin

UAIOE
we did not go to the Museum, I would like to go back for that ...... also the Smithsonian has a nice collection ....

I slides up over the muzzle, then there is a piece that goes behind the sight, held on with 2 allen head screws

I saw several at Show Place yesterday...
I use a gel buttstock pad that velcros around the steel skull-basher.

The only other change is a small white dot I painted on the top of the front site post... helps me pick it up easier...

is your brake like this one? it seems like the one you described:

Amazon.com: NcStar Mosin Nagant M44 Muzzle Brake/Bolt-On (AM44): Sports & Outdoors

meddauna

I might have to find one of those gel pads. The steel butt really kills my shoulder, but that thing is a real nail driver. I put a round through 1/2" steel and it still buried itself 6" into a cherry tree. Do you guys have a problem with the bolt sticking closed after you fire a round too?

Chris0nllyn

I hear that NRA range is really nice.

The Nation's Gun Show is coming to Chantilly at the end of the month.

I just bought my girlfriend a little .22LR at the gun show this past weekend. Hoping to get out this weekend and sight it in.

I can't wait to get a Mosin!

E

EmptyTimCup

Do you guys have a problem with the bolt sticking closed after you fire a round too?

is your head space correct ..... the only thing I can think, is the case is stretching ?

my T53 has a very crude / sticky action ....... well compared to my buddies Ruger .30-06

Chris0nllyn

is your head space correct ..... the only thing I can think, is the case is stretching ?

my T53 has a very crude / sticky action ....... well compared to my buddies Ruger .30-06

Make sure you get all that cosmoline off. Even a little bit will harden after a few rounds (getting hot), making the bolt action stiff.

Strip the bolt and use some Simple Green and hot water to scrub the cosmoline off.

there were several at show place - or were they over prices as well

Cheapest I saw was $149, and one guy had a crate full @$169 each.

Way too much IMO. Especially since they can be found for $90 online.

dustin

UAIOE
I might have to find one of those gel pads. The steel butt really kills my shoulder, but that thing is a real nail driver. I put a round through 1/2" steel and it still buried itself 6" into a cherry tree. Do you guys have a problem with the bolt sticking closed after you fire a round too?
are you using laquer coated or copper washed surplus ammo? I've found that the lacquer coated stuff makes the bolt a little "sticky"...

Pushrod

Patriot
I am a di*k!

Damn, what a jack@ss to come onto a thread like this and post sh!t. You're a real piece of work.

ETC, I wonder if that MB would do anything for a full size 91/30? For $10.00 I might have to try one, even though the 91/30 doesn't get much muzzle rise on that long of a barrel.

E

EmptyTimCup

ETC, I wonder if that MB would do anything for a full size 91/30? For $10.00 I might have to try one, even though the 91/30 doesn't get much muzzle rise on that long of a barrel.

well my M 39 does get a little muzzle rise, which I noticed switching between the 2 and the T 53 had none

I am going to get 2 for my SKS on payday ..... they don't have much climb either

meddauna

Not sure. the casing will split vertical on the shoulder once in a while, but it's not often and probably because i'm using wolf ammo. I'm not entirely sure what the issue is. If i take a spend casing and insert it like i would a normal round, it goes in fine, but it will still stick the bolt closed. It's possible there's a burr somewhere that i'm not seeing. I'll have to find a field headspace gauge and double check that.

edit: i should add that the rifle has matching serial numbers, so it should have come from factory (in 1944) with mostly (those silly russians) correct headspacing.

I'm not sure i would bother getting a MB on the SKS. There's very little rise, it kicks like a kitten. Though i suppose mine is a little different, I keep the heavy wood stock on mine and have a bipod on the end that contributes to the weight enough that it would keep the muzzle down.

Last edited:

nutz

Not sure. the casing will split vertical on the shoulder once in a while, but it's not often and probably because i'm using wolf ammo. I'm not entirely sure what the issue is. If i take a spend casing and insert it like i would a normal round, it goes in fine, but it will still stick the bolt closed. It's possible there's a burr somewhere that i'm not seeing. I'll have to find a field headspace gauge and double check that.

edit: i should add that the rifle has matching serial numbers, so it should have come from factory (in 1944) with mostly (those silly russians) correct headspacing.

Something sounds not so good. Case splitting, IMO, sounds like excessive head spacing which is allowing the gases to escape through the bolt area. Is the bolt face dirtier than you would expect? Tried anything besides Wolf ammo? Do the guys at Keepshooting have any guages to use?

GO Gauge - A "GO" gauge is designed to test that the rifle's headspace
meets (at least) the minimum amount required to successfully / safely chamber a round. This gauge is normally used during the manufacturing process, or during a re-barreling, when the chamber is reamed. A rifle must close completely on the "GO" gauge to pass a headspace test.

NO-GO Gauge - The "NO-GO" Gauge is designed to imitate the maximum amount of headspace allowed when using reloaded or used cartridge cases. A rifle must NOT close on the NO-GO gauge to pass this test. If a rifle closes on a NO-GO gauge but not on a FIELD gauge (below) the rifle is considered safe to fire using factory new ammunition, but not safe to fire using reloaded or used cartridge cases. This is the most frequently failed headspace check,
especially amongst used or surplus military rifles with a mismatched bolts.

FIELD Gauge - (AKA "Field Reject Gauge") The FIELD gauge is designed to
imitate the absolute maximum amount of headspace allowable for the firearm.
If a firearm closes on a FIELD gauge it is unsafe to fire. Again, by
definition, if a rifle closes on a NO-GO gauge but not on a FIELD gauge the
rifle is considered safe to fire using factory new ammunition, but not safe
to fire using reloaded or used cartridge cases.

Last edited:
E

EmptyTimCup

I'm not sure i would bother getting a MB on the SKS. There's very little rise, it kicks like a kitten. Though i suppose mine is a little different, I keep the heavy wood stock on mine and have a bipod on the end that contributes to the weight enough that it would keep the muzzle down.

One SKS has a standard length bbl, the other is shorter and uses AK Mags [yes I have one of THOSE SKS' ]:evil:

MC really is not a huge deal ...... but this would minimize it completely

dustin

UAIOE

I have a field gauge specifically for the Mosin you can borrow. It is magnetic and sits into the bolt with a cut out for the extractor. PM me if interested. I'll have to dig it out.

It was made by these guys:
Okie Headspace Gauges