Nuclear power plant at Elms?!?!

J

JWB_CWB

refugee44 said:
The only place in SoMD that another nuclear reactor will be built is at Calvert Cliffs. The Nuclear Regulatory Commission is only looking at 6 sites that currently have nuclear reactors, and not new sites. Calvert Cliffs has over 2300 acres of land and they are using about 700 acres. Do the math.

Furthermore, power generated at that plant and any new plant is not solely for use by its "neighbors". Constellation Energy or any energy company for that matter is in the business of creating electricity. That electricity goes out into the grid, and isn't necessarily used only by the people who live nearby.
:yeahthat:

Exactly

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Cletus_Vandam said:
What's underhanded about using a piece of property for it's intended use? The Elms was purchased decades ago for the purchase of building a nuc power plant.
True. I'm not talking about the original approval. As I see it, it would be underhanded if the state did not keep citizens informed at every step of the process. That was part of the problem when the EPA launched its cleanup of the Southern Maryland Wood Treatment Plant a decade ago--the public notification process suited the EPA bureaucrats' needs rather than the public's needs.

Midnightrider

Fred Hoeck said:
For those of you new to the area, the Elms Property was bought and set aside for a nuclear power plant back before Three Mile Island.

From what i understand it was actually bought by the state as an alternative to the Calvert Cliffs site, and just wasn't choosen. Calvert county offered a better package to BGE and therefore the plant was built at Calvert Cliffs. I found this info a few years back when i was checking out public hunting areas. The DNR had a pretty thorough description of the property and its original intended use on one of its sites.

As for a new plant being built there, its pretty unlikely. I have heard that Calvert cliffs is trying to get approval for an additional reactor. But its unlikely as their permits for their current reactors have been extended. Besides i believe the Nuclear Nonproliferation act still prohibits the building of new reactors- thanks Carter!!!

Fred Hoeck

The power generated is sent via the PJM interconnection throughout the Middle Atlantic States Area wherever it is needed. It does not need to be used locally. That is the beauty of AC power.

J

JWB_CWB

Midnightrider said:
As for a new plant being built there, its pretty unlikely. I have heard that Calvert cliffs is trying to get approval for an additional reactor. But its unlikely as their permits for their current reactors have been extended. Besides i believe the Nuclear Nonproliferation act still prohibits the building of new reactors- thanks Carter!!!

Well there have been 6 current nuclear producing power sites selected for condsideration for 4 new nuke reactors that are supposedly going to built. Calvert Cliffs is one of the sites on this short list.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/20/AR2005052001557.html

What do the new reactors have to do with the extension of the the permits of the old ones. The plan would be to have 4 reactors running at the same time, not put the old ones out of service.