Numbers seem to be down at Horse Events

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Do you think it is due to the economy?

The gas prices going back up?

Are there to many horse show circuits to choose from?

Other horses events to choose from that are scheduled on the same weekend?

Shows scheduled on Holiday weekends or weather issues?

Have the horse events or shows out priced themselves?
* To many extra fees?
* Classes to expensive?
* The day is to long?

What would make you choose to do one event over another?
* Less expensive to participate in?
* Good rings and good judges?
* Prize money?
* Nice series end awards?

Even at some of the Big AA shows they've been combining some divisions that have always been big in the past.

devinej

LOL

i want prize money. that would be awesome. why are there so many western events with prize money...but very few english?

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
This circuit in Howard County is have a big year in entries. Class List I haven't seen classes for $6 in a very long time. :faint:

Devine I'd love the chance to get some of my entries fees back in the form of prize money. Like gambling on yourself. :killingme

devinej

that's why i like jumpers. but....it doesn't work if you are the only one entered in the class!!

kmbetit

K Betit
Do you think it is due to the economy?

The gas prices going back up?

Are there to many horse show circuits to choose from?

Other horses events to choose from that are scheduled on the same weekend?

Shows scheduled on Holiday weekends or weather issues?

Have the horse events or shows out priced themselves?
* To many extra fees?
* Classes to expensive?
* The day is to long?

What would make you choose to do one event over another?
* Less expensive to participate in?
* Good rings and good judges?
* Prize money?
* Nice series end awards?

Even at some of the Big AA shows they've been combining some divisions that have always been big in the past.

I really wish we had more "low key" schooling shows around. I really don't like to ride in all my nice show attire, etc. in the mud & wet sand. I try to save my nice stuff for my bigger shows. Additionally, the shows at the Equestrian Center have just become too expensive with all the extra fees they've added the past few years. Especially now, I can't afford a $200 day at PGEC for schooling, and then turn around and show the bigger shows. So i've had to cut back on the number of schooling shows I can attend.

Sparks

I really wish we had more "low key" schooling shows around. I really don't like to ride in all my nice show attire, etc. in the mud & wet sand. I try to save my nice stuff for my bigger shows. Additionally, the shows at the Equestrian Center have just become too expensive with all the extra fees they've added the past few years. Especially now, I can't afford a $200 day at PGEC for schooling, and then turn around and show the bigger shows. So i've had to cut back on the number of schooling shows I can attend.

Wow. How do the local shows at PG cost you $200?

kmbetit

K Betit
Sounds like Stall Fees and trailering must be part of the cost.

Yup- that is part of the cost. And it's $50 to sign up for the show, before adding classes. Which would be only slightly lessened if I was a member. That's just my opinion, and horses in general are wicked expensive. I wish I could go to a show for under $100 besides AMIT.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
Do you pre-enter? If you pre-enter there is a small discount.

They do nickel and dime you to death with the admin fees(25.00), EMT Fee and so on. The show management does have to pay the office staff, jump crew and ring crew on the show days. They are not volunteers at those shows. Which surprised me because all the shows I got volunteered for or worked at was completely unpaid.

Sparks

Yup- that is part of the cost. And it's $50 to sign up for the show, before adding classes. Which would be only slightly lessened if I was a member. That's just my opinion, and horses in general are wicked expensive. I wish I could go to a show for under $100 besides AMIT.

Oh, got it. I'm cheap, I work out of my trailer.

SugarNSpikes

It just seems like the prices for the classes are expensive. I don't attend any of the bigger horse shows - just MW and Freestate and occasionally a SMHA show, but I have such a hard time limiting classes, so by the time they charge me 8-10$ a class, I've got a huge bill just in classes.

Also, I don't have my own truck, so trying to get my grandfather's truck for the weekend is like pulling teeth.

Oh, and don't forget - for a few months there, I had a horse that wouldn't even get on the trailer! :doh: