Numbers seem to be down at Horse Events

kmbetit

K Betit
Do you pre-enter? If you pre-enter there is a small discount.

I only pre-enter at shows that will refund your entry/wont cash the check if you don't show. I've lost a lot of money in the past few years pre-entering, every time I do my horse seems to find a way to make sure we can't go. Or it rains. haha. I will check out the other show series mentioned though. I've heard MW is low key.

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Do you pre-enter? If you pre-enter there is a small discount.

I only pre-enter at shows that will refund your entry/wont cash the check if you don't show. I've lost a lot of money in the past few years pre-entering, every time I do my horse seems to find a way to make sure we can't go. Or it rains. haha. I will check out the other show series mentioned though. I've heard MW is low key.

I can understand scratching a horse for injury, illness, or lameness reason, but the refund should only be given with proof by a Vet or Farrier on their letterhead state what is wrong. Checks shouldn't be cashed prior to the show. If an exhibitor does scratch they would need to notify the show office prior or the day of the show. I wouldn't refund money if the exhibitor wait till the day after the show or later. Time is of the essence in this situation.

I've had a horse spring a shoe. The farrier comes the day before the show to put the shoe back on, drives a hot nail, and then the horse is lame. I didn't pre-enter for that show, but I would hope that I would be able to get my money back if I had pre-enter.

Now if the show is held in wet conditions and someone that pre-entered decides not to show I would say they don't get a refund.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
Honestly when I pre-enter I do not send a check for the classes. I will send a check for the fees that are associated with the show. That way if I decide not to go at the last minute I only lose out 50.00. They still get some money but not my entire show fee.

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
Oh the days of $10 classes would be nice to have again. My AQHA show this weekend was $191 with stall, 2 days of drug test fee @$6 each. Classes at $16 each. and whatever else they charged me

appaholic

Oh the days of $10 classes would be nice to have again. My AQHA show this weekend was $191 with stall, 2 days of drug test fee @$6 each. Classes at $16 each. and whatever else they charged me
Horses and showing is definately an expensive hobby!... But compared to open shows I still think AQHA/Breed shows are not that bad financially, considering the points you earn are not just current year points but lifetime points for you and horse, so they have more records to keep. However, that being said I also think MW does a WONDERFUL job, the year end awards are great and I am amazed at the work they do to make it so nice for everyone!

duchess1

They need to have more Saturday shows. I know there are a lot of parents who don't want to go to a show all day in the heat, etc. only to have to get up early the next morning and go to work. Shows can be very tiresome. If they had them on Saturdays then people would have Sunday to relax and feel like they had a day off. JMO

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
They need to have more Saturday shows. I know there are a lot of parents who don't want to go to a show all day in the heat, etc. only to have to get up early the next morning and go to work. Shows can be very tiresome. If they had them on Saturdays then people would have Sunday to relax and feel like they had a day off. JMO

I completely agree. There is one show series that I won't go to because none of my classes are until later and I don't want to get up early the next day. It isn't my parents that have to get up it is ME that has to get up for work.

BlissfulJumper

Saturday shows are nice and alot easier. I always hated getting up for school the monday after a show. I do like the AQHA set up though. You arrive on Wednesday.Show Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and then leave Sunday afternoon. This past weekend everydays classes were over no later then 3:30 which was nice. Maybe some hunter shows should try that. Especially MSA

appaholic

Saturday shows are nice and alot easier. I always hated getting up for school the monday after a show. I do like the AQHA set up though. You arrive on Wednesday.Show Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and then leave Sunday afternoon. This past weekend everydays classes were over no later then 3:30 which was nice. Maybe some hunter shows should try that. Especially MSA

I guess I grew up going to horse shows so I always thought lack of sleep was part of the horse show package! One of the reasons I thought hard about getting into horses as an adult, I saw what my dad and his friends did in the name of FUN!::shrug: Before show day up early to pack, drive hours to show, prep stall, exercise horse on grounds, feed, bathe and band into the wee hours to be back to barn no later than 5 am to start show day! Then when the week-end was all over pack up and being the talking kid I was I rode shotgun for my dad keeping him awake and the coffee coming.
Now most of the time it goes like you said and we are done most days by 3 to 5pm, but I went to NJ in April and we did am feed at the usual 5am for the 7:30 am start time, but when I went to bed a 1am the next morn they were still doing youth trail and they did not finish up until almost 3 am to begin again in a few hours! Those were some dedicated but very tired kids! Could not blame it on any poor aspects of show or judges only took 2 short breaks just a lot of classes with a lot of entries!

BlissfulJumper

I guess I grew up going to horse shows so I always thought lack of sleep was part of the horse show package! One of the reasons I thought hard about getting into horses as an adult, I saw what my dad and his friends did in the name of FUN!::shrug: Before show day up early to pack, drive hours to show, prep stall, exercise horse on grounds, feed, bathe and band into the wee hours to be back to barn no later than 5 am to start show day! Then when the week-end was all over pack up and being the talking kid I was I rode shotgun for my dad keeping him awake and the coffee coming.
Now most of the time it goes like you said and we are done most days by 3 to 5pm, but I went to NJ in April and we did am feed at the usual 5am for the 7:30 am start time, but when I went to bed a 1am the next morn they were still doing youth trail and they did not finish up until almost 3 am to begin again in a few hours! Those were some dedicated but very tired kids! Could not blame it on any poor aspects of show or judges only took 2 short breaks just a lot of classes with a lot of entries!

T saw some nice prospects for you at the show. Very nice ones. I would buy them. Go to...

Miller Quarter Horses - News

Then to sale page and look at the first( Lady Packin Iron), Second( Skys Blue Star), and Third( Hez good Company).
All of them were picking up ribbons left and right. Trainer Keith was a very good rider and very patient. I like the grey the most but you know me!

Also try,
Welcome to Gary Weeks Quarter Horses

He was up there and had some nice horses, can't remember the names of them. But the Bettin on Me horse on the sale page was there and was really good. Gary never had to get on it once.

Been trying to find time to call you but keep forgetting. Everything went alright. Kahlua went into major heat the day we got there and was a complete and total idiot when i showed on Thurs but on saturday she was much better. Thursday in HUS we got a 8th with one judge, np with other then Sat in HUS we got 6th with one judge and 9th with the other but kahlua was still a little marish then in HSE we got 3rd and 4th so not to terrible. But we are going to Dr. A on Wednesday so we will be getting some meds!

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
I know that when I got to the big hunter shows next year it will be long weeks. I probably will hold off on the big ones until after Graduate school. September 2010 I will have a MS degree.

appaholic

I know that when I got to the big hunter shows next year it will be long weeks. I probably will hold off on the big ones until after Graduate school. September 2010 I will have a MS degree.

I know sometimes it seems just too much for me, I don't have the killer drive!
I still do not know how my dad did it so long, BUT he did always have a support team and he had no problem giving everyone a job...wife, kids(even when I was very young and you better do the task well!) I think that my problem is I can not turn hubby and children into slaves when its not their hobby. I am the only one in the family who still loves animals, sisters, mother, cousins do not even want a FISH, no pets of any kind, and certainly not horses or horse showing. They even hate if I mention anything about my dogs and horses, they think I have lost my mind!