O Tax-em Malley at it again

msqtech

Citizen
Fines as revenue

I think we should just put speed cameras and light cameras at every intersection. Don't increase the fines just get more of them. It also has the benefit of not increasing personnel costs of Police officers just probably those who accept the checks and process them. We could also learn from DC and close major roads and force traffic through choke points with mobile cameras to collect even more revenue from those exiting arenas and large events. Wow, Then we could put unrealistic restrictions on parking and fine even more. We would never have to raise fees or taxes again!

glhs837

Power with Control
I think we should just put speed cameras and light cameras at every intersection. Don't increase the fines just get more of them. It also has the benefit of not increasing personnel costs of Police officers just probably those who accept the checks and process them. We could also learn from DC and close major roads and force traffic through choke points with mobile cameras to collect even more revenue from those exiting arenas and large events. Wow, Then we could put unrealistic restrictions on parking and fine even more. We would never have to raise fees or taxes again!

If this is not in jest, here's why the bolded is a bad idea.

1. Speed cameras, depending on the system deployed, can have much worse accuracy (and no judgment at all) compared to a police officer. \

2. Officers will tell you a lot of their bad guys finds come from traffic stops. Seems the guys who break other laws are more prone to break traffic laws also:) take them off traffic patrol, and they will catch fewer bad guys.

3. MD legislators have just recently introduced legislation to remove the requirement for police review (which is really a rubber stamp, as shown by a deceased Baltimore officer reviewing 2,000 tickets. But in any case, those salaries are normally paid for by the contractor

4. Red light cameras have no net safety gain. and around here, I believe the low incidence of red light runners will lead to setting them for stop line violations and right turn on red violations.