Obama - Man of the People

PsyOps

Pixelated
Instead Obama was attacked for earning money in a capitalist free market which under any other circumstances Conservatives would cheer.

Therefore it is hypocritical.

That's not what I am criticizing Obama for - making too much money. I don't care how much he makes. I'm all for anyone earning as much money as they can, as long as they do it honestly.

What I disparage Obama for is being so adamantly against certain wealthy people, and disparaging them for their wealth, while becoming very wealthy himself - as if there were two classes of wealthy in this country. Does Obama really believe there are certain people that shouldn't be wealthy?

Last I could find, Obama's net worth is about $12 million. I'm waiting for him to start spreading some of that wealth around like he said should happen.

littlelady

God bless the USA
You've said more than enough to show your ignorance and racist proclivities.

Please show me when I did that? My post wasn't racist, in the least. I was raised in the south, NOLA to be exact, and was taught not to be racist. Obama ran the first time always talking about his white heritage. Once he was elected, nothing; as in crickets. Obama showed his ignorance and racist proclivities. Not me. Find one racist post I have ever made on this forum. This was not one. Good luck. And, Obama will go down as one of the worst presidents ever; if not the worst. You're welcome.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Obama made another $400,000 on Thursday when he appeared at the A&E Networks advertising upfront at The Pierre Hotel. He was interviewed over 90 minutes at the Midtown Manhattan event by presidential historian Doris Kearns Goodwin in front of the cable network’s advertisers.

Out of office just 98 days, Obama caught some flack earlier this week when it was learned that he had agreed to speak in September at a health care event sponsored by Wall Street bank Cantor Fitzgerald.

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) said she was “troubled” by the big-ticket talk.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/27/obama-scores-another-400k-speaking-fee-amid-criticism/

awpitt

Main Streeter
Obama made another $400,000 on Thursday when he appeared at the A&E Networks advertising upfront at The Pierre Hotel. He was interviewed over 90 minutes at the Midtown Manhattan event by presidential historian Doris Kearns Goodwin in front of the cable network’s advertisers.

Out of office just 98 days, Obama caught some flack earlier this week when it was learned that he had agreed to speak in September at a health care event sponsored by Wall Street bank Cantor Fitzgerald.

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) said she was “troubled” by the big-ticket talk.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/27/obama-scores-another-400k-speaking-fee-amid-criticism/

...and in other news, in the last 98 days the initiation and membership fees at Mar a Lago have doubled.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Zach Carter, a senior political economy reporter at the left-wing Obama-loving Huffington Post blasted Obama, saying that his "Wall Street payday will confirm for many what they have long suspected: that the Democratic Party is managed by out-of-touch elites who do not understand or care about the concerns of ordinary Americans. It's hard to fault those who come to this conclusion."

Carter went on to say "Obama isn't running for office again, but his sellout sends even uglier signals to the electorate."

Ouch.

[clip]

Worse still, Obama has spent a lifetime self-righteously sneering at those who made their wealth by producing actual products and services that people want and need. It was Obama, after all, who once lectured the country that "at a certain point you've made enough money."

And just a few days ago, Obama lectured the country about how "because of money in politics, special interests dominate the debates in Washington in ways that don't match up with the way the broad majority of Americans feel."

Why shouldn't Obama be judged by his own standards? And why is it that all those spread-the-wealth Democrats get so greedy once they're out of office?

http://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/obama-turns-out-to-be-a-greedy-one-percenter/

.... that last part

Last edited:

This_person

Wrong. You are inferring that from your bias against Obama. None of the words that you use are mentioned in the original post that started the discussion nor did any other poster in a subsequent post say anything about income inequality, spread it around or people should only make so much money.

Instead Obama was attacked for earning money in a capitalist free market which under any other circumstances Conservatives would cheer.

Therefore it is hypocritical.

You never acknowledged, but I assume you now realize you were wrong?

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Good to see my tax dollars aren't being wasted on unlimited internet access that further a political agenda...

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
HYPOCRITE: Obama Raking It In From Wall Street

Do you remember when former president Barack Obama railed against Wall Street not too long ago, accusing them of making too much money?

[clip]

Strange, but now Obama is using Wall Street to add to the millions he has accumulated, including the book deal he and his wife Michelle signed with Penguin Random House after an auction that went above $60 million, according to the Financial Times.

As Bloomberg notes of recent events, “Barack Obama spoke in New York to clients of Northern Trust Corp. for about $400,000, a person familiar with his appearance said. Last week, he reminisced about the White House for Carlyle Group LP, one of the world’s biggest private equity firms, according to two people who were there. Next week, he’ll give a keynote speech at investment bank Cantor Fitzgerald LP’s health-care conference.” That speech for Cantor Fitzgerald will net Obama roughly $400,000.

Whew. Suddenly Obama’s disdain for Wall Street seems to have dissipated just a tad.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
But that's not a one-off. "Last week, he reminisced about the White House for Carlyle Group LP, one of the world’s biggest private equity firms, according to two people who were there. Next week, he’ll give a keynote speech at investment bank Cantor Fitzgerald LP’s health-care conference." You can bet that'll bring a hefty chunk of change.

Obama will also pop by the brokerage and investment bank Cantor Fitzgerald next week during a three-day conference for current and prospective clients. "Obama will be paid about $400,000, according to a person familiar with the arrangement," Bloomberg wrote.

And not every paid appearance by Obama is even known.

Obama’s appearance at the Carlyle conference in Washington was previously unreported. The private equity giant has enjoyed some of the best political connections in the world, with executives and advisers who have included former presidents, prime ministers and cabinet secretaries. Obama discussed his life and the decisions he made in the White House, the people who heard him said. A spokesman for the firm wouldn’t comment.

Obama has woven a complicated web of financial advisors with his foundation.

His foundation is raising money for a library in Chicago, and he and his wife signed a book deal with Penguin Random House after an auction that went above $60 million, according to the Financial Times. He spoke about food in Milan, democracy in Jakarta and himself at an A&E Television Networks event in New York. He vacationed in California and Hawaii and on Richard Branson’s Necker Island with its billionaire owner.

Obama has picked private equity, hedge fund, venture capital and banking veterans to oversee his foundation, and an alumnus of Goldman Sachs Group Inc. to advise him on investments.

Northern Trust is a bank that specializes in wealth management for rich families and services for big funds. The event had gone unreported, but a program accessible on the firm’s website lists Obama alongside executives from Microsoft Corp., IBM and Michael Bloomberg, majority owner of Bloomberg LP.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/21208/ka-ching-obama-cashes-400000-speech-one-those-joseph-curl

philibusters

It is certainly true that Obama is cashing in. I can understand why people are turned off by that. It is what it is. He is not the first and likely won't be the last President to cash in once they leave office.

In terms of was Obama a "man of the people", I think there are a lot angles to look at that question for. He was never a populist like Bernie Sanders or Donald Trump. He was an establishment President. And while like all politicians he tried to portray himself as just another average joe he never hid that he was an establishment guy at his heart.

Long story short, I wouldn't describe Obama as a "man of the people" though he came from fairly average origins.

This_person

I wouldn't describe Obama as a "man of the people" though he came from fairly average origins.

I presume this to mean that he was not born into wealth. Certainly a biracial kid from HI who was abandoned by his father and lived in Indonesia during his formative years would not be "fairly average", but he certainly came from less means than some of our presidents (though significantly higher than others, making him financially "average").

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Not many average kids going to private high school. If you are looking for average kids, try looking at the local public schools.

Hijinx

It is certainly true that Obama is cashing in. I can understand why people are turned off by that. It is what it is. He is not the first and likely won't be the last President to cash in once they leave office.

In terms of was Obama a "man of the people", I think there are a lot angles to look at that question for. He was never a populist like Bernie Sanders or Donald Trump. He was an establishment President. And while like all politicians he tried to portray himself as just another average joe he never hid that he was an establishment guy at his heart.

Long story short, I wouldn't describe Obama as a "man of the people" though he came from fairly average origins.

Yes Many Presidents have cashed in after their terms. But I cannot remember one doing it that was worth a pint of sour Owl Piss.

I remember Truman, who drove back to Missoirri in his own car and paid for his own stamps to answer his mail,
Eisenhower retired to his home in Gettysburg. Ni9xon, We nver heard he got rich after his term.
Kennedy of course didn't survive his Presidency.
Johnson was already rich from his wifes money
Gerald Ford, but he was never elected., but he didn't get rich either.
Jimmy Carter . Lousy president , but did a lot of charity work
Ronald Reagan retired to his ranch an Alzheimers.
The two Bush's basically retired and kept their noses out of the Presidents business.
Bubba Clinton ---Yes he started getting richer from speeches, his tax shelter Foundation and speeches by the dozen plus books.
Barrack Obama came to the White House not so rich , but is doing really well on the speech circuit and a 60 million dollar book contract.

Like I said those of worth retired and lived their lives out without using the office of the President to get rich

Two con artists are milking the sh1t out of the office,

littlelady

God bless the USA
:shrug:

called him aKenyon

I never called him a Kenyan, just a non-patriot. That's all.

Oh, and, yeah, I did call him a joke. I was right on that, and the joke was on US. No one will ever convince me that he is a natural citizen of the US; which is one of the criteria. We were hood winked big time. Hopefully, we learn from our mistakes.

Add. I have always believed that Johnson had Kennedy assasinated. After watching Ken Burn's new doc on Vietnam; there is no question. Johnson was chomping at the bit to become prez. Talk about a racist. I have been wrong before, but I don't think so on this one.

Last edited: