Ocean City VS. Virginia Beach

Jerrycat

Okay, all this talk about the 275,000 people on the bridge got me thinking that there could be some real heavy delays involved with going to OC.
Having never been to either one, OC or VB, I am wanting to hear from you guys on which location you think is best and why. It seems like VB may be the same distance or pretty close in time when you factor in the potentially long delay on the bride. So which to you think would be the most crowded and which would be more accomadating for 4th of july weekend? By the way we originally thought it was crazy to go this holiday weekend of all weekends, but we have an out of towner coming to visit from Kansas, and he is just dying to go the the beach.

T.Rally

Personnally like OC better. If you time it right, the drive should take no more than 3 hours. We go every July leaving from Indian Head at like 0500 and make it to the beach between 0730-0800.

T.Rally

Originally posted by SxyPrincess
No! I don't consider trash all over the streets and beach, and bums 'good.'

You must have stayed around the boardwalk. North Ocean City is not like that at all.

SmallTown

Football season!
VB has gotten a lot better in recent years. The in-laws live there, so we like going because it is a free place to stay!

But, traffic getting there will be awful as well. Coming from SoMd, you'll have the typical holiday weekend backups at the 301 bridge, then you have a choice of taking 17 or 95. Both will have traffic, but of course more so on 95. 64 is a pain, especially when you get close to the hampton roads bridge/tunnel. Expect delays there.

Really, it is a toss up of where you want to go... traffic everywhere.

If you don't have reservations for a hotel, you're probably screwed either place you go... Not only is it a holiday weekend, but the first sun filled weekend in a LONG time so the beaches will be packed.

K

Kizzy

I'll hang out with the ghey people and the cleaner beach in R.B. in DE than O.C. At least you can find place to lay your towel.

SxyPrincess

Originally posted by T.Rally
You must have stayed around the boardwalk. North Ocean City is not like that at all.
Actually, I try to stay as far away from the boardwalk as possible when I go. Unfortunately, if you want to hit the games/rides/attractions, you have to venture to the boardwalk, or somewhat close to it.

SeaRide

I rather go to my beachhouse on Chincoteague Island, drive on the beach using my 4x4 truck on Assateague Island on the VA side .. pick a remote spot on the beach right by the ocean. Full easy access to my truck to get whatever I need.. chair, umbrella, cooler, toys, jug of water,camera, shovel, tools, anything really.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I vote for VA Beach. I was down there on travel 4 times last year and it was much nicer then OC in my opinion.

Elle

Happy Camper!
Virginia beach all the way. I haven't been to OC in 7 years though, it's def. a dirty beach compared to VA. In virginia beach all the shops are a street or more back so not a lot of congestion on the boardwalk and I think the sand/beach itself is cleaner in VA beach. North Myrtle beach was the cleanest by far but I like the boardwalk at VA beach the best!

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by http
I agree with the nicer, especially on the restaurant side, they have a much classier set of restaurants; and they are cleaner in general. But OC has EVERYTHING else to me:

Carnival and rides,
More gift shops,
More shoreline,
More bars,
Cheap dives,
More hotels with pools,
Nice stretches of condos,
The bayside... etc. etc.

If you're looking for a place to eat at fancy restaurants, walk through the streets barefoot, and as Sxy said, no beach bums, try Martha's Vineyard. If you want unadulterated fun, go OC. I suppose VA is in between, and RHB and DEW and also in between backed with satin kimonos.

The lower end of VB has rides.
VB has TONS of gift shops...
The beach is HUGE now at VB because they just brought in a ton of sand... amazing how wide it is now.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by http
I agree with the nicer, especially on the restaurant side, they have a much classier set of restaurants; and they are cleaner in general.

I was going to let you Va Beach folks have your say about the beach and boardwalk, because that's a matter to preference. But classier restaurants? If you're not going to classy restaurants in OC, you going to the wrong places.

Reflections, The Hobbit, Ristorante' Antipasti, Salvatore's, and Tutti Gusti come to mind for first-class OC restaurants. No surprise that 3 are italian... That's just what comes to mind as classy places I regularly patronize. But there are many more where those came from, and then plenty of nice family type restaurants like Harpoon Hannah's. The best places are the ones open year-round.

Snow Shovel

Was stationed in Norfolk for many years and VB sucks. It is owned by Pat Robertson and it has many, many stupid laws. Go to the beach in you bathing suit and pull on a wet suit before you go surfing and get a ticket for "changing in public". Wear a bathing suit without a shirt on the wrong side of the street and get a ticket for "indecent exposure".

That big festival part on General Booth BLVD, pay to park, pay to go in the water park, pay a separate fee to play putt-putt. Just too set on separating you from your money.

OC is much more fun; a little tacky, a little bawdy. VB restaurants don't come close. Not so tied up with slamming people for having a little fun.

willie

I liked the evening entertainment at VB. It seemed like a different style band every few blocks. The skateboarders and bikes have their own separate boardwalk. It is a far cry from what it used to be. It is a true family beach now. I always hit OC and VB on weekdays so the Bay Bridge is no problem but the last 50 miles to VB is he!! It usually ends up a 4 hour trip. VB is worth the trip.