off road diesel fuel

Katt

If you have a tank that would be dedicated to off rd. diesel, you can call any oil company and start an account and they will keep you supplied. Just don't ever use it in your road vehicles. It's dyed and carries a big fine if caught.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
What is the difference between off road and on road diesel fuel?
Help this dullard out and I need the simple terms.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Other than the amount if taxes there is no difference.

My landlord in Germany had me fill up a tank in his basement with AAFES/NEX diesel to use to heat my apartment and he'd fill up his car with it. In Germany the difference was HUGE between on road and off road diesel.. like more than half.

TPD

the poor dad
I was thinking it would/should be close to $1..

The federal highway tax on diesel fuel is 27.8 cents per gallon which you should not have to pay at the pump on off road diesel. I think the state tax is 31 cents which you apply for the refund on your state tax return I believe.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
other than the amount if taxes there is no difference.

My landlord in germany had me fill up a tank in his basement with aafes/nex diesel to use to heat my apartment and he'd fill up his car with it. In germany the difference was huge between on road and off road diesel.. Like more than half.

jp 5?

black dog

Free America

Off Road / #2 heating oil has been dyed Red and has no road tax paid on it.
It has a higher content of Sulphur than taxed road diesel.
If I remember correctly on road diesel has less than 12 parts per million of sulphur.
Off road is the same as #2 home heating oil and it has more than 12 PPM of sulphur.

TPD

the poor dad
Who and how would they ever know?
How would they ever know what you have in your tank on an on road vehicle?

DOT can and will stop you and dip your tank to determine whether you have the correct fuel. Mainly they do this with truckers.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
DOT can and will stop you and dip your tank to determine whether you have the correct fuel. Mainly they do this with truckers.

I didn't know that.
Thanks.

I am actually thinking about retiring soon.
I want to buy a dump truck and just drive around dumping stuff.
And I am serious.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Big difference.. JP5 looks like water.. and is lot more "corrosive"(don't think that's the right term). We used JP5 in our generators and it ate the seals around the fuel pump and injector.. made one hell of a mess but the generator continued to run.

A diesel engine CAN run on JP5 but I think you'd run into a lot of costly issues..