Off the Beaten Path

BOP

Songs you may not have heard or remembered from groups you have heard of. Let's start off with the one made famous by the Beatles, "Help!" as sung by Deep Purple:

BOP

This one is also from Deep Purple; their second album, with their original lineup. It includes Rod Evans as lead singer.

The song "Anthem," from The Book of Taliesyn

BOP

Small Faces, "Tin Soldier." Formed in part by Steve Marriott, who later formed (or fronted, I'm not sure) Humble Pie, with Peter Frampton. Which is, by the way, the last time I liked Peter Frampton. Small Faces is best remembered for Itchycoo Park, but I remember and liked this one as well. I'm not sure who the singer is on this. Been trying to find out, but can't quite come up with it. Steve Marriott normally was the lead singer.

Speaking of Humble Pie, all I can say is: one of the very best! Here is the same song "Tin Soldier," though they're probably better known for "30 Days in the Hole," "I don't Need no Doctor," and others.

mitzi

Small Faces, "Tin Soldier." Formed in part by Steve Marriott, who later formed (or fronted, I'm not sure) Humble Pie, with Peter Frampton. Which is, by the way, the last time I liked Peter Frampton. Small Faces is best remembered for Itchycoo Park, but I remember and liked this one as well. I'm not sure who the singer is on this. Been trying to find out, but can't quite come up with it. Steve Marriott normally was the lead singer.

Speaking of Humble Pie, all I can say is: one of the very best! Here is the same song "Tin Soldier," though they're probably better known for "30 Days in the Hole," "I don't Need no Doctor," and others.

Loved Humble Pie.

BOP

The late, great, gone-too-soon Duane Allman. I'll be honest, I thought I'd heard all of Duane, Greg, and the Allman Brothers, in all their iterations. Hadn't heard, or if I had, don't remember this one. It's kind of a "One Piece at a Time" song.

BOP

"John Barleycorn Must Die," from the album of the same name, is one of the more well-known Traffic songs. Here is a version by Jethro Tull:

Speaking of John Barleycorn, this one is by Joe Walsh, who does a pretty good job with it.

Last edited:

BOP

You can see I'm all over the musical map. Summertime Blues has been covered by just about everybody. This one is from the Beach Boys:

Alan Jackson (and why not? It's a pretty good version. Only problem is that the goat-ropers will believe he was the original artist):

This is a band a lot of people may not have heard of, Blue Cheer.

BOP

Couple of bands that I'm surprised a lot of people have never heard of. Gov't Mule has been around a while, and they put on a great concert:

The late, great Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown:

BOP

Haven't heard this guy in a month of Sundays (or longer), but he's in my Pandora selections :yahoo:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

I was on a road trip with my mom back in the day, I guess I was 14 or so, and she let me play MY music. This comes on, she starts singing to it and I'm like...

WTF??????? :lol:

BOP

:dude:

Long time fan of Judas Priest. Just happened to find this:

And this, which you as a metal head will probably like the best:

PS: turn it up loud!

BOP

Surf Music unplugged

Okay, technically, they're amplified, but using acoustic guitars, vice electric. They do electric music as well.

BOP

I was on a doo-wop, rock n roll kick tonight, listening to Bill Haley on youtube when I came across this one. Who knew Bill Haley was once one of the top cowboy yodellers...even though he was originally from Michigan and Pennsylvania!

Another one:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
When is metal not metal? Or isn't it?

Totally metal. Fantastic singing and I love the concept. Not for me, personally, however, 'metal' is many, many things. Metal, to me, is the feel, the power, something 'heavy'. Something that evoke images of...metal. Steel. Iron.

A volcano erupting is 'metal'. A dragster making a near perfect pass is metal. I dragster blowing up, spectacularly, is metal.

This is metal;

Much of classical is.

If anyone, this is the godfather of metal;

The Beatles are never metal nor is the blues.

My dog is metal because she returns plastic water bottles back to their base elements.

This is metal;

:buddies:

Last edited:

BOP

One of my Pandora stations is totally classical. Classic classical, if you will. They are constantly placing death metal songs in amongst the violins and what-not, which says a lot about the similarity between the 2 genres. More related than a lot of people might like to admit.

here's someone who gets it:

BOP

Always great together, the late, greats, Chet Atkins and Jerry Reed covering the Beatles.

BOP

CCR isn't the first group you think of when it comes to "Mary Lou," but it's a pretty good version: