Offering Amount

Normal Guy

UrbanPancake said:
My guess is the tithe was added to the Bible a long time ago by a corrupt Pope's Administration. Why would God care so much about money? If money is the root of all things evil why would God want it in his house? When giving money to your local church it should be because you want to give, not because your buying your way into Heaven. If you can give a lot that's great, but if you can't then that's all right too. I think the tithe could be subsituted with good deeds. If your the person who helps with church fundraiser's and your the person volunteering all the time that should count towards your tithe.

A tithe is considered the "King's Share" of the spoils. In Genesis 14:20, Abram, fresh from kicking some butt in battle, gave a tenth of everything to Melchizedek, king of Salem, who was a "priest of God Most High."

Does the Creator of the universe really need your money? No. God is the same now as He has always been and always will be. Whether you give Him nothing, or a million bucks, it's not going to affect Him one bit. However, it says a lot about your relationship with Him.

Your offering should be an act of worship, freely and cheerfully given. Jesus talked about the widow giving her last mite. It was a paltry sum, but she gave it freely with an honest heart, a heart that loved God, and her offering was therefore a tremendous act of worship, love, and respect. It pleased God.

If you are giving out of a sense of obligation, or with some idea that you are buying salvation, then you are doing it for the wrong reason. There is nothing that a person can do to either buy God's love, or salvation, it's an act of grace on His part - freely given, bought with the blood of His son, Jesus, at Calvary.

If you approach your offering as an act of worship, a way of saying thanks to God for giving you life and blessing you with His love, grace, and all of your earthly possessions, then you will naturally determine how much you wish to offer back as a way of worshiping your King. If you choose to give 10% great. If you feel you can't afford that, that's fine too. Some people actually give more than 10%. It's a personal decision between you and your Maker.

BTW - I have worked on church stewardship campaigns before. I feel it's safe to say that there are very few churches that can claim all of their members give 10%. In most churches it's actually a very small percentage of the members that give at that level.

And yes, God doesn't just want our money as an act of worship. He would like your time and talents as well. Volunteering to serve in some capacity at your church is often more valuable and useful than a monetary offering.

Too many people approach tithes and offerings from a formulaic, or legalistic perspective. This, IMO, is wrong, and following in the footsteps of the pharisees. Give out of love and worship, not out of obligation.

Andy

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Normal Guy said:
Does the Creator of the universe really need your money? No. God is the same now as He has always been and always will be. Whether you give Him nothing, or a million bucks, it's not going to affect Him one bit. However, it says a lot about your relationship with Him.

Your offering should be an act of worship, freely and cheerfully given. ...

If you are giving out of a sense of obligation, or with some idea that you are buying salvation, then you are doing it for the wrong reason. There is nothing that a person can do to either buy God's love, or salvation, it's an act of grace on His part - freely given, bought with the blood of His son, Jesus, at Calvary.

If you approach your offering as an act of worship, a way of saying thanks to God for giving you life and blessing you with His love, grace, and all of your earthly possessions, then you will naturally determine how much you wish to offer back as a way of worshiping your King.
Well said.

UrbanPancake

Right=Wrong/Left=Right
If your pastor is driving a luxury car, and you ain't......I would start donating less to your church, or start looking for another church.:)

There are some Priest out there who drive BMW's while their congregation takes the bus or drives a car that has been out of production since the 70's. That's messed up.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Alright, I'm going to go and see if I have any sticky-fly paper under the sink; maybe I can trap that tiny little gnat that is flitting away in my forum monitor;

He's been flitting here, flitting there, not much to say, just drops a load of BS and leaves. It's not significant, how much can you expect from a gnat?

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
JabbaJawz said:
Not to get too personal, but how does one determine the amount of a weekly offering? We have a specific amount we give weekly, but husband thinks it seems high considering we're not rolling in the dough. Is there some sort of baseline, or what? I don't want to be cheap, and I do appreciate all of the activities, especially for kids, that the church puts on. I don't want to be a cheap b@stard...how do the rest of you determine an appropriate amount?
If you're worried about looking like a "cheap b@stard" I would put money in an envelope before you go to church, but only what you can afford and are comfortable with. When it comes time for offering, people will see you donate, but won't actually know how much is in the envelope.

I believe you can claim up to 10% on taxes w/out showing receipt(s) for such donations.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Chasey_Lane said:
I believe you can claim up to 10% on taxes w/out showing receipt(s) for such donations.
Yeah, God would really think that was great; claim more on your taxes than what you actually gave. - NOT

Besides, that is bad advise. Most churches have offering envelopes that are numbered. They keep track of the exact amount each person gives through the envelope or through checks and also cash contributions for their own records. Most provide annual (some quarterly) reports on what you have given. My advise is don't claim what you did not give and cannot prove. The IRS can be very nasty about income tax evasion or fraud. Besides, the limit on charitable contributions without a receipt or contribution record or checks to back up your claim is $250.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
2ndAmendment said:
Yeah, God would really think that was great; claim more on your taxes than what you actually gave. - NOT

Besides, that is bad advise. Most churches have offering envelopes that are numbered. They keep track of the exact amount each person gives through the envelope or through checks and also cash contributions for their own records. Most provide annual (some quarterly) reports on what you have given. My advise is don't claim what you did not give and cannot prove. The IRS can be very nasty about income tax evasion or fraud. Besides, the limit on charitable contributions without a receipt or contribution record or checks to back up your claim is $250.
Wow! Thank goodness my church doesn't do that; number the offering envelops, etc.(St Pauls' Methodist Church, Lusby)
Neither do they keep track of what you individually give.
Chaseys' idea seems fine, put money into an envelope before hand, and drop it into the plate as it is passed before you.
'Course it wouldn't be right to declare in taxes more than you gave, that's common sense.

Normal Guy

I think most churches that use numbered envelopes do so in order to assist members with their income tax filing. Each year we receive a letter in January that details what we gave that year via the envelopes. That way we have the documentation necessary for the IRS. I've been a member of quite a few churchs around the country (military) and all of them have done this - not saying all do, just the ones I've attended so far. They also have strict guidance that the only one tracking individual giving is the financial secretary. I've never seen it used as a way to make someone feel guilty.

BTW - if you are concerned about your pastor driving a BMW you should get a copy of the church budget, which should be a public document. See what his salary really is. Of course he might also be earning money from another job, teaching, publishing books/articles, military retirement salary, reserve duty, inheritence, wife's job, etc.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Normal Guy said:
I think most churches that use numbered envelopes do so in order to assist members with their income tax filing. Each year we receive a letter in January that details what we gave that year via the envelopes. That way we have the documentation necessary for the IRS. I've been a member of quite a few churchs around the country (military) and all of them have done this - not saying all do, just the ones I've attended so far. They also have strict guidance that the only one tracking individual giving is the financial secretary. I've never seen it used as a way to make someone feel guilty.

BTW - if you are concerned about your pastor driving a BMW you should get a copy of the church budget, which should be a public document. See what his salary really is. Of course he might also be earning money from another job, teaching, publishing books/articles, military retirement salary, reserve duty, inheritence, wife's job, etc.
I stand corrected. My church does send envelopes out to members who have signed up on a list, and pay by check.
They are also sent a statement for tax purposes at the end of the yea, so they know what/how much to declare.
Honestly, I give what I can afford and what is comfortable for me, put it in the envelope and place it in the plate when it comes around.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
2ndAmendment said:

Our church definitely has offering envelopes w/numbers. We use those weekly.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
crabcake said:
What exactly does the tithe go to support? I understand the basics -- pastor salary, an admin person salary, power bill, church maintenance, and some community benefit/assistance programs ... but dayum! :shocking: If a church has 150 members who tithe weekly and the average household salary is $45000 (which I'm thinking is pretty conservative), that's $675K a year!

Is there something I'm missing? :confused: Where does this money go?
Lawyers are EXPENSIVE!! But a tithe is 10%... so figure out what that would be for a church the size of the Catholic faith.. and they are claiming they're broke to get out from under all the lawsuits.. go figure. Gotta love honesty in religion..