Offering Amount

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
carolinagirl said:
My pastor in NC says a 10% of your salary before taxes. He also stated that most cannot do this, so you should decide on an amount and stick to that, say $50 a month.
Bible says a tithe of all your increase. I believe my increase is what I actually receive. I tithe after taxes but I also tithe the tax refund. I will tithe my retirement income Lord willing that I have one. I would suggest to those that don't tithe to do as your pastor stated and start with a comfortable amount and increase it as you can until you are tithing. Then give additionally as you feel God's direction; see a need and fill it.

I heard a person on the radio that was saying he and his wife used to have a hard time making ends meet. They made a decision to tithe. He was saying that the Lord has blessed his decision so incredibly that he and his wife now live on less than 10% of their income and give the rest to God's work; a reverse tithe if you will where they only keep 10%. I hope I can get there. Imagine the people you could help in the name of the Lord. Fantastic.

carolinagirl

What's it 2 U
2ndAmendment said:
Bible says a tithe of all your increase. I believe my increase is what I actually receive. I tithe after taxes but I also tithe the tax refund. I will tithe my retirement income Lord willing that I have one. I would suggest to those that don't tithe to do as your pastor stated and start with a comfortable amount and increase it as you can until you are tithing. Then give additionally as you feel God's direction; see a need and fill it.

I heard a person on the radio that was saying he and his wife used to have a hard time making ends meet. They made a decision to tithe. He was saying that the Lord has blessed his decision so incredibly that he and his wife now live on less than 10% of their income and give the rest to God's work; a reverse tithe if you will where they only keep 10%. I hope I can get there. Imagine the people you could help in the name of the Lord. Fantastic.

:yay: Well said.

dustin

UAIOE
2ndAmendment said:
The Bible says "tithe".

Main Entry: 1tithe
Pronunciation: 'tI[th]
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): tithed; tith·ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English teogothian, from teogotha tenth
transitive senses
1 : to pay or give a tenth part of especially for the support of the church
2 : to levy a tithe on
intransitive senses : to give a tenth of one's income as a tithe

See previous post in this thread for some verses.

Who created that definition of tithe? And at what time was it defined?

I'm trying to understand what defines a tithe equaling 10%. Because obviously the Bible doesnt come out and say "10%".

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Check this out:

http://www.truthortradition.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=161

Some interesting thinking here. One paragraph near the top of the document suggests that tithing does not apply to Christians, however, giving to the church most assuredly is relevant!

"The question must be: “What does the Bible say TO CHRISTIANS about financial giving?” Why? Because what God says to Christians about financial giving is different than what He said to the Jews of the Old Testament about it. The sad news is that today very few Christians understand the difference, and, as a result, many are unnecessarily living under emotional and financial stress. For a more detailed exposition of this subject than we can set forth in this FAQ, I recommend our 90 minute tape titled The Joy of Giving, as well as a book we carry titled The Tithing Dilemma, by Ernest L. Martin."
"There are also some pertinent verses in other Epistles, and the message of Scripture to Christians is that because of the finished work of Jesus Christ, we do not live under the Mosaic Law, during which tithing was instituted and commanded as part of the Law. Therefore, tithing as a commandment of God has no relevance to believers today. "

Holy Offering Plate!

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
dustin said:
Who created that definition of tithe? And at what time was it defined?

I'm trying to understand what defines a tithe equaling 10%. Because obviously the Bible doesnt come out and say "10%".
Not true. Tithe is an English word. It is a translation of the Hebrew transliterated word Ma`aser meaning tenth.

Here is the actual Hebrew http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0327.htm Look at verse 30.

dustin

UAIOE
2ndAmendment said:
Not true. Tithe is an English word. It is a translation of the Hebrew transliterated word Ma`aser meaning tenth.

Here is the actual Hebrew http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0327.htm Look at verse 30.

understood. good link too!
But who says the word Ma'aser means tenth?

Hebrew dictionary?

Also, Leviticus is old testament. for the Jews. So if Christians want to abide by the old testament according to the Jewish law that is ok.

How about the New Testament?

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
dustin said:
understood. good link too!
But who says the word Ma'aser means tenth?

Hebrew dictionary?

Also, Leviticus is old testament. for the Jews. So if Christians want to abide by the old testament according to the Jewish law that is ok.

How about the New Testament?
Hebrew dictionary - yes. True - Leviticus is Old Testament. Jesus (New Testament) said I came not to abolish the law but to fulfill it. The passage from Mark I quoted earlier is in the New Testament. The Bible is the Old Testament and the New Testament. Just because the instruction about tithing is in the Old Testament does not mean we should not pay any attention to it. As a Christian, we should study and learn from both. The system of sacrifices of the Old Testament has been overcome and completely fulfilled by Jesus on the cross, came not to abolish the law but to fulfill it. The tithe is not to be given out of obligation or grudgingly. The tithe is to be given as a sign of obedience in all things (money is the hardest thing to give up for many people), a sign of trust in God for our needs, and is to be given joyfully. It is not for buying and does not buy our way into Heaven.

UrbanPancake

Right=Wrong/Left=Right
My guess is the tithe was added to the Bible a long time ago by a corrupt Pope's Administration. Why would God care so much about money? If money is the root of all things evil why would God want it in his house? When giving money to your local church it should be because you want to give, not because your buying your way into Heaven. If you can give a lot that's great, but if you can't then that's all right too. I think the tithe could be subsituted with good deeds. If your the person who helps with church fundraiser's and your the person volunteering all the time that should count towards your tithe.

dustin

UAIOE
UrbanPancake said:
My guess is the tithe was added to the Bible a long time ago by a corrupt Pope's Administration. Why would God care so much about money? If money is the root of all things evil why would God want it in his house? When giving money to your local church it should be because you want to give, not because your buying your way into Heaven. If you can give a lot that's great, but if you can't then that's all right too. I think the tithe could be subsituted with good deeds. If your the person who helps with church fundraiser's and your the person volunteering all the time that should count towards your tithe.

God cares about his institution..the church...the church needs money to sustain itself.

Money is not the root of all evil as american media would have you believe. You did know that Jesus was a carpenter. I'm sure he sold his goods for some sort of money.

You are correct. A tithe should be from the heart and not as payment to get through the pearly gates.

i don't know about the substitution of good deeds...youre on your own on that one...

fttrsbeerwench

I had always thought it was 10% of what you bring home too.(I was raised by a Southern Babtist and a Catholic) Unfortunately, I watched that nearly break my mother, and I know how my Bf feels when he talks about how his mother would cry that she couldn't afford to give her 10%, feeling that she was failing her church and God. That is a horrible thought, that one wouldn't be a good Christian because he/she did not have the funds to fund the church. I don't think you should have to pay to pray. God will have saved the poor and hungry first. It's a matter of faith and I don't think your $$ has anything to do with your faith. Nor does four walls or a man in robes.You can not buy redemption. If you have a relationship with your parrish and can help finacially , it should be no more than you can reasonably offer. I think putting in your time would be a much better investment. Sunday school, retreat volunteers, cooking for functions. That is what biulds a place of worship,the closeness of it's members, not nessecarily the $$ that funds the church.

I know I will most likely catch crap for posting, because I am not what you would consider a Christian, but I feel strongly about faith and religion. I have a bible and I read it. I pray a Saint. And I felt it was a little relevent.

CowGirlUp

Yeee hawww
JabbaJawz said:
Read one of my previous posts. I suppose we're going straight to hell in a handbasket for not giving 10% of our incomes to the church. :lol:
:lol: oh gotcha! I am sure God will understand!

UrbanPancake

Right=Wrong/Left=Right
Well I don't donate anything, considering I don't go to church. Sometimes I donate to St. Mathews Cathedral in DC though. The money goes towards helping the homeless.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
JabbaJawz said:
Read one of my previous posts. I suppose we're going straight to hell in a handbasket for not giving 10% of our incomes to the church. :lol:
I don't think anyone, including me, ever said or even implied that in this thread. You asked a question. You got an answer. :huggy:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
2ndAmendment said:
I don't think anyone, including me, ever said or even implied that in this thread. You asked a question. You got an answer. :huggy:
Hey Jabba, there ain't a one of us here on earth that can consider themselves a god or a saint, and tell you what $$ to offer on Sunday morning.
I would advise you if you are willing, give what you can; it's noone elses' business what that is. If you can spend time helping your church out during it's fellowship activities, all well and fine too.
The Lord above sees what you do, and I'm of the opinion he will accept whatever you feel is right for you and your family. JMHO