Oil falls to 3 year low.

Cowgirl

....you make the incorrect assumption that high oil prices caused the global downturn, yes?

Housing killed the US, people stopping paying $2,000 a month mortgages, not an extra $200 a month for gas. Everything else crashed from there; construction, appliances, consumables, imports, etc.

Oil producers merely took the drunks money as they ordered another round for the house. The suffering they could have alleviated is marginal, so, why not take the cash?

I would think that the rising gas, fuel, food, etc prices made it next to impossible for people to pay those mortgages. Combine rising commodity prices with increased layoffs, and people start going into foreclosure.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

I'm hoping that as the world's economies shrink and fail, OPEC's ability to manipulate markets will shrivel. They've already cut production once since the downturn, and it had no effect. With consumption down in the U.S. and China, they might find that cutting production might bite them in the ass in the long run. They'll push up prices but get beat in volume and sales by competitors.

...it's happening now. Every time there was a huge spike in oil prices, it is followed by a CRASH. It happened in the 80's and the 90's. March of, I think '98, I was paying $.35 a gallon for heating oil. Right now, it's just under $2. That still SUCKS major azz but it is a damn sight better than $4.

NOW is the time to build in the capacity to manipulate oil prices by being able to modulate our own supply in order to allow for global events in order to keep a steady, consistent price. Open ANWR. Add new wells. Oil as national security.

The petrifying reality for the greens is that by doing more exploration we WILL find vast new oil fields.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

I would think that the rising gas, fuel, food, etc prices made it next to impossible for people to pay those mortgages. Combine rising commodity prices with increased layoffs, and people start going into foreclosure.

...it all contributes, but, if your mortgage jumped $1,000 a month when your trial period or 'balloon' was over, what's a bigger problem, the mortgage or getting to work every day?

The housing bubble bursting is, by far, the primary problem. Oil made it a good bit worse.

Look at it this way; we've spent something like $2 trillion too much since 2004on over priced oil. That would put us in a MUCH better position now had those dollars stayed at home, but, we've made something like $7 trillion in commitments to 'fix' the economy of late. So, there's a comparison; oil can be said to be 2/7ths of the problem.

Cowgirl

...it all contributes, but, if your mortgage jumped $1,000 a month when your trial period or 'balloon' was over, what's a bigger problem, the mortgage or getting to work every day?

The housing bubble bursting is, by far, the primary problem. Oil made it a good bit worse.

Yeah, I forgot about those pesky ARMs. :lol:

Toxick

Splat
Can someone please explain why OPEC would want to cut production to raise prices? Seems to me that the low prices can only HELP these failing economies.

What makes you think that have the slightest interest in helping failing economies?

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
Can someone please explain why OPEC would want to cut production to raise prices? Seems to me that the low prices can only HELP these failing economies.

Because doing less and making more is all they care about!!!

Look at it this way; we've spent something like $2 trillion too much since 2004on over priced oil. That would put us in a MUCH better position now had those dollars stayed at home, but, we've made something like $7 trillion in commitments to 'fix' the economy of late. So, there's a comparison; oil can be said to be 2/7ths of the problem.

Not a thing to do with Greenspan continuously raising interest rates?

R

RadioPatrol

...OPEC doesn't want to cut production right now for the very reason you cite; they NEED world economies to be doing OK. Besides, they're still making 'windfall' profits at anything over $30.

Yeah but @ $130 you make really obscene profits to further fund Jihadists .... excuse me Madras :whistle:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Not a thing to do with Greenspan continuously raising interest rates?

...man, I love lower interest rates.

As I say, what does a lower interest rate have to do with a no doc loan for someone who doesn't meet traditional loan quals in the first place even if it is ZERO interest?

Toxick

Splat
Goose and the golden egg?

What we got here... is a failure to c'mmunicate.

I wasn't asking for reasonable, logical, and rational well-thought-out reasons that they might have, or should have, for bolstering failing economies.

I was asking if there was any tangible evidence that indicates that they actually do give a tiny rat's ass about helping wounded economies. From what I can see, that's not their job, their problem, nor their inclination.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

What we got here... is a failure to c'mmunicate.

I wasn't asking for reasonable, logical, and rational well-thought-out reasons that they might have, or should have, for bolstering failing economies.

I was asking if there was any tangible evidence that indicates that they actually do give a tiny rat's ass about helping wounded economies. From what I can see, that's not their job, their problem, nor their inclination.

PRODUCTION levels. Damn right, they care. They may be crazy. Stupid they ain't.