OK so how many of you are ready for Hunting Season

D

DaMadman

Well I am very much a meat hunter, I normally cut up my own. I debone almost everything and wrap and freeze it.

I only have a hand grinder as of right now so I do not grind much burger but I take all the trimmings and pieces that just don't amount to a good steak and take them over to Chucks Butchershop in IndianHead.

They make the Best DeerSticks you have ever tasted, Kind of like a combo between a Summer Sausage and a SlimJim.

You take them the deboned meat frozen or thawed and for $2-2.50 a pound he grinds it, seasons it puts it in the casings and heat smokes it, You have to keep them frozen until you are ready to eat them but they thaw out in the microwave in about 10 seconds or so. I go through about 30 - 40 pounds a year.

Also learned how to make a "Country Cured" Ham out of the hind Quarter last year. It is time consuming and takes up space in the fridge but it is well woth the time and trouble.

Chucks also sells a kit to make "Old Fashion" (lebanon) bologna.
It is sort of like a mild salami. However you have to have a "COLD" Smoker and a low temp oven to make it properly. I made 20 pounds of that last year too and it was gone in about a month.

Well anyway I ran my mouth long enough you all take it from here :razz2:

D

DaMadman

The ham is on the back of Mortons Tender Quick and or Mortons Sugar Cure. I think most grocery stores carry both product now a days. If not you can buy it online or if you feel like taking a ride the little store on the corner of 236 and 234 (Stones I believe it is) carries both and I believe Mckays on the county line sell the smoke flavored sugar cure, and most Foodlions sell the Tender Quick.

http://www.mortonsalt.com/consumer/products/meatcuring/index.htm

I use a compination of the two to do my ham.

Anyway I did the dry cure method wich can take up to 3 - 4 weeks.

You simply rub the amount of cure that the recipe calls for on the meat and put in in the fridge for a week or so and then reapply the rub when the alotted amount of time is up. For a fully cured Hind quarter I think I had to reapply 3-4 times and it took about 4 weeks or so.

The first piece of meat I did was a small boneless roast wich take a lot less time. The smaller the meat the less cure time is required.

I think it was about a pound and a half, I did it with a combo of Tender Quick and Sugar Cure and it took about 4 days until the cure reache the middle of the meat.

I sliced that up really thin and cooked it like bacon and it was really good.

Word of caution If you do a large peice of meat (over 5 pounds) dry cure style with the Tender Quick you are probably going to have to boil the heck out of it to get enough saltiness out to make it edible.

SxyPrincess

Wow! A month of preparation for a pound of meat? :eek:

Thanks for the info., Madman! :cheers: If I'm brave enough to try it, I'll let you know how it turned out.

D

DaMadman

another recipe that I really like to do with Venison is, take a boneless roast with all the fat trimmed off, thaw it out so that it is just thawed enough to get a sharp buther knife threw it.

Slice it as paper thin as possible and drop it in a marinate of Soy Sauce, Garlic(or Garlic powder), onion powder, and depending on how salty you Soy Sauce is, a little Seasoned Salty.

Cut the whole roast up in paper thin slices and plop it in the marinate.

While that is going on cut up a sweet onion into slice 1/4 inch.

Get your skillet ( I use cast Iron) hot with jusy a little olive oil in it.
I mean hot enough that the olive oil just starts to smoke.

Take the thinly sliced meat out of the marinate and sqeeze out as much moisture as possible and start throwing it in the hopt skillet with the onions. Fry all of the meat like that, with the onions, add some mushrooms, and then throw in your favorite Cheese, I like provolone and put on sub rolls like steakums.

If you get the slices thin enough and marinate them in good soy sauce It will be the best most enjoyable steak and cheese you ever eat.

D

DaMadman

really good use for a Venison neck roast.

thaw and par boil the neck roast in water with lots of seasonings. I normally use lots of seasoned Salt, garlic and onion pwder.

Par boil till the water turn a browninsh color and then put fresh water in a crockpot and reseason and cook overnight or all day while at work.

The Neck Roast should fall apat off the bone into strips or chunks that you can pull into strips.

Roughly chop the strips and put them in a large skillet or pot coated with olive oil.

Either make your favorite BBQ sauce recipe and add to the meat, or use your favorite bottle BBQsauce, most the time I use kraft and doctor it up with seasonings and brown sugar and such then cook until the sauce thoroughly soaks through the meat.

Makes great BBQ, can be done with other parts other than the nec roast, I just like the way it falls apart into strips, like pulled pork BBQ.

D

DaMadman

Originally posted by SxyPrincess
Wow! A month of preparation for a pound of meat? :eek:

Thanks for the info., Madman! :cheers: If I'm brave enough to try it, I'll let you know how it turned out.

Well actually per pound I think it is only a couple days. When I did the whole hind quarter which was about 20-25 pound that took 3-4 weeks

the little pound and a half boneless roast that I cut up and cooked like bacon took less that 5 days.

It also speeds the time if you brine cure instead of dry cure.

Brine curing is probably the way to go for most people and situations, I chose the dry cure because I had planned on cold smoking mine so that it did not have to be refridgerated, much like the "Virginia Cured" hams you see hanging in the bags without any refridgeration.

D

DaMadman

Originally posted by SxyPrincess
:yum: Never thought of that before. I've always just eaten steaks and jerky.

My Dad and I both hunt and Mom won't cook it for Dad anymore so it all winds up at my house in my freezer, so between him and I we normally have 3-5 deer a year.

Gotta be creative when you got that much meat. Steak and Jerky just don't cut it :biggrin:

I also like to take a pound of the ground venison add "OLD PLANTATION" sausage seasoning and about 1/8th to 1/4 pound of elcheapo pork sausage (to add a little fat) and make sausage patties for breakfast.

Basically if you know how to marinate and do not mind par boiling (to get out the gaminess) you can do anything with Venison you can with beef and or pork.

As a general rule. If it is paper sliced thin up to 1/2 - 3/4 inch I marinate it for anywhere from 10 minutes to overnight.

If it is a large piece (roast) I parboil it to get out the blood and gamey taste.

It doesn't even hurt to rinse the ground venison and drain it in a sive or colander.