Okay, help me out!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Estoy aprendiendo a hablar espanol.

Monello is quizzing me and giving me words to learn - words that I may never have an occasion to say. So what are some common phrases I can put in my toolbox?

Por favor
Gracias
De nada
Como estas?
Bien, gracias
Buena suerte!
Salud
No lo se
Necesito ayuda
Hola
Encantada de conocerte
Adios
Cuidate
Cuanto cuesta esa camisa?
De donde eres tu?
Dos cervezas por favor.
Donde esta el bano?
La cuenta por favor

What are some others I should know?

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Having spent quite a bit of time in South America, and being able to barely speak English, let alone Spanish or Portuguese, I found it best to just ask if they speak English. If they don't then try your broken Spanish on them. Most of the people I met always wanted to speak English with me so they could practice. English was very important for them to be successful in their businesses.

However, the locals do seem to appreciate it when you take the time to learn the basic salutations in their language. They seem to be formal with their greetings. So, instead of just Hi or Hello, they tend to like a time-specific greeting like: Good morning, Good afternoon and Good evening. And of course Please and Thank you. If you're going shopping, How much is this? Which means you need to learn your numbers too.

Other than that, your list above is a good start. I would just use Cuanto cuesta and then point. :lol:

I do remember that your French was pretty good (much better than mine). So, maybe you're better at mastering other languages than am I. The thing that made it most difficult for me was that everything is masculine and feminine in the romance languages.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I do remember that your French was pretty good

This becomes my problem when trying to say something in Spanish - I get French in my brain. "Hola! Comment vas-tu?....wait....that's not right...."

Not sure why this happens because when we were in Montreal and I had the opportunity to whip it out my mind went blank.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member

Monello is quizzing me and giving me words to learn - words that I may never have an occasion to say. So what are some common phrases I can put in my toolbox?
Bésame el culo, perra.

TheRadargod

Agree with David. Extensive travels in Central America and Caribbean nations we try to use Spanish exclusively and meet many locals that while appreciative of our effort also want to speak English. A few years ago somewhere in Mexico I was able to conquer a deli style market and got an appropriate amount of lunch meat and condiments in the local dialect. If you immerse yourself and commit to their language it can be fun and a good learning experience.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Por favor
Gracias
De nada
Como estas?
Bien, gracias
Buena suerte!
Salud
No lo se
Necesito ayuda
Hola
Encantada de conocerte
Adios
Cuidate
De donde eres tu?
Dos cervezas por favor.
Donde esta el bano?
La cuenta por favor

I see that you are taking Obama's advise to heart. You know, when he chided for all to learn Spanish? Good for you.

littlelady

God bless the USA

It is a good thing I took four years of Spanish, or I couldn’t have convos with some Hispanics that haven’t bothered to learn English, even though they live in the USA. The local library in Olney offers English classes every Monday night. And, there are special lines at some fast foods that offer translation to English speakers because the employees only speak Spanish. God bless the USA.

Last edited:

Auntie Biache'

Por favor
Gracias
De nada
Como estas?
Bien, gracias
Buena suerte!
Salud
No lo se
Necesito ayuda
Hola
Encantada de conocerte
Adios
Cuidate
De donde eres tu?
Dos cervezas por favor.
Donde esta el bano?
La cuenta por favor

Bano=bath. If you want to pee, you'll want a "servicio".

Auntie Biache'

This is a pretty good page of basics https://www.iwillteachyoualanguage.com/learn/spanish/spanish-tips/common-spanish-phrases. Keep in mind, though, that dialects can vary a great deal, even in the same country. I lived in Andalucia for 3 yrs, and the dialect is very different from Castilian, and European Spanish is very different than South American Spanish. While they are all capable of communicating, they do have some very different words and phrases, that may be totally alien to each other. Another good idea, if you're serious about communicating, is picking up an elementary Spanish reader from the book store. It's a great starting point, and very helpful. Any country you visit will always appreciate the effort, and they will be more inclined to be hospitable and helpful. Except France, of course. They just always have their panties in a twist.

Auntie Biache'

The Texicans are pretty good about giving me the correct word/phrase when I'm mangling. After they stop laughing, that is.
I don't recall ever being laughed at in Spain, but they'd kind of grin, and correct me. I had a wonderful mentor. She took me under her wing from day one. I was able to carry on a conversation with anyone (except the gypsies) within a few months. Sadly, I've forgotten almost everything I've learned. If I'm reading it, I know what it is, but if I need to say it, forget it. It's gone.