Attachments

• georges corvette.jpg
    georges corvette.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 97
  • ken dixon camaro.jpg
    ken dixon camaro.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 94

greyhound

The webpage below has some great history on the track as well as some photos from the air.

Aquasco Speedway

My dad has some pics from the 60's at the track. I'll scan them and post when I stop by his house this week.

Claff

Where can this (what's left of) track be found?

I'm trying to figure out how/who to seek permission from to legally explore the remains of Marlboro Motor Speedway. From what I understand, it's pretty much all still there, just terribly overgrown.

I'm trying to figure out how/who to seek permission from to legally explore the remains of Marlboro Motor Speedway. From what I understand, it's pretty much all still there, just terribly overgrown.

In Aquasco, at the end of Neck Rd. But you can't see it from the road and there are locked gates at the entrance.

B

Beaver-Cleaver

In Aquasco, at the end of Neck Rd. But you can't see it from the road and there are locked gates at the entrance.

Claff, do yourself a favor and DON'T GO.

I sought permission before I went (I know quite a few people out in Aquasco) and explained it was for a news article. Unfortunately, I lost the dude's email address it was on my PDA somewhere before I put Windows Mobile 6 on it. :cds:

They don't take kindly to strangers just running up there.

As far as getting permission to go to Marlboro, don't bet on it.

onel0126

Bead mumbler
Calvert County?

Why do the newspaper articles on the website refer to Aquasco being in Calvert County?

Lee Martin

I'm pretty sure I'm right about Old Dominion though. Aquasco has always been known as the first quarter-mile dragstrip on the East Coast. :shrug:

I used to think Old Dominion started as a 1/5 mile, but it was a 1/4 in 1953. Got cut to 1/5 around 1960 and a few years later went to an 1/8. As such, Aquasco wasn't the first quarter mile on the east coast. Westhampton Dragstrip on Long Island also opened as a 1/4 dirt dragway in '53, so there were two prior to Aquasco in '55.

-Lee
Atomic Pin-Up

smokey20678

I think PG Co Gov owns the site of the track now in Upper Marlboro. Might be WSSC also..not completely sure. Could still be a private owner for all i know.

B

Beaver-Cleaver

I think PG Co Gov owns the site of the track now in Upper Marlboro. Might be WSSC also..not completely sure. Could still be a private owner for all i know.

Private owner.

And he doesn't want you people there. :smack:

willie

I used to think Old Dominion started as a 1/5 mile, but it was a 1/4 in 1953. Got cut to 1/5 around 1960 and a few years later went to an 1/8. As such, Aquasco wasn't the first quarter mile on the east coast. Westhampton Dragstrip on Long Island also opened as a 1/4 dirt dragway in '53, so there were two prior to Aquasco in '55.

-Lee
Atomic Pin-Up
This is correct about Old Dominion being ¼ mile originally. I had to give up racing there since hydraulic brakes weren't in my skimpy budget.

B

Beaver-Cleaver

-Lee
Atomic Pin-Up

Unfortunately, I think ODS is also going to become a thing of the past very soon. :ohwell:

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
Some follow ups in the years I've spent on this.

Old Dominion has never been a quarter mile, Aquasco was the first on the East Coast. I ran an article about the history of MIR earlier this year.

As for Aquasco, Marlboro and Beltsville, I'm waiting on publishing everything I have. Years away from anything.

Last edited: