Old Great Mills Rd & RT 5

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Like I said.. Im not gonna sign up but, from the snippets above, it sounds like OLD GMR and Rt 5.

If that's the case... and that is their PRIMARY initiative... then they are indeed IDIOTS!

So you are in favor of closing access from the "new" Great Mills Rd to Rt. 5. Frankly..so am I, but....

TPD

the poor dad
At this point, Rt5 should be dualized from Great Mills to Leonardtown. But no - it is more important to widen the road in Scotland so we don’t have a line of illegals on Memorial Day and July 4th weekends waiting to get into a state park to play all day and then leave their truckloads of trash behind.

stgislander

PREMO Member
From an earlier post.

There's also some discussion of long-term plans, including: "That money would widen Route 5 to an undivided four-lane section of roadway, and would add 11-foot-wide outside travel lanes, with 5-foot bicycle lanes along both sides of Route 5." It will also replace the bridge over St. Mary’s River.
Is that widening only to Flat Iron?

Tech

What design changes? Just make it one way from Point Lookout to Great Mills and hang up a couple of signs.

glhs837

Power with Control
The whole Great Mills area is a CF. The Pegg Road extension to Rt 5 was supposed to eliminate some of traffic snarl at Great Mills. If I remember correctly MDOT decided that widening the bridge over the St Mary's River, was a better idea.

Way I hear it is that the Chancellors Run properties that would need to be aquired for the ROW for that extension would require a serious eminent domain case as the older members of those familes will NOT sell unless forced. Cold be the thinking is that it's faster to let them die off and then buy from the kids than start a 20 year legal batttle.

TPD

the poor dad
Do explain.... What exactly does that particular intersection do that attributes to the congestion problems?

Apparently you don’t travel those parts so no need for an explanation. Those that travel it everyday see the problem, unless they are part of the problem, then those will be disappointed in the fix.

What's phase 2?

MiddleGround

Well, people in cars..you know..they drive through it...and chit...
Apparently you don’t travel those parts so no need for an explanation. Those that travel it everyday see the problem, unless they are part of the problem, then those will be disappointed in the fix.

Sounds good. I'll just wait until they close that right turn from Old GMR onto Rt.5 and watch the congestion in that area just melt away and traffic flow freely as you are both suggesting! Because, I suppose... according to both of you, that is THEE problem in that area :yay: