Old Great Mills Rd & RT 5

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
METCOM is already moving the pumping station at the bridge, too behind the gym (bike) place where the chubby chicks are always walking into.

stgislander

PREMO Member
METCOM is already moving the pumping station at the bridge, too behind the gym (bike) place where the chubby chicks are always walking into.
So that is what that is? Thanks. I've heard more than a few people wondering what was going in there.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
:diva::biggrin:

Clem72

Not going to subscribe however,

What about the people that live in those complexes off of Old GMR? Are they going to have to merge onto GMR, turn right, then another right at the intersection to get onto NB Rt 5?

I don't think most of them have cars. Don't need them to walk to sheetz or the liquor store (I kid, kind of).

MiddleGround

If there is a plan to make that whole area better for traffic, I sure wish they would release the plan publicly. After some of the choice decisions at some of the other areas around here (the median disaster by Sonic to name one) I can only imagine it will only make a small impact or make it worse.

Clem72

Do explain.... What exactly does that particular intersection do that attributes to the congestion problems?

Merges traffic from three points directly into another stoplight. Remove Old Great Mills access and turn Indian Bridge into a traffick circle and that intersection will be MUCH better.

Reactions: Erk

MiddleGround

Remove Old Great Mills access and turn Indian Bridge into a traffick circle and that intersection will be MUCH better.

People driving through that intersection currently cannot properly obey and navigate the traffic signal! Why do you think a circle will be any more effective?? I would only see more accidents at that intersection.

Plus... the base traffic would dominate the circle. Any traffic from Indian Bridge and Flat Iron would NEVER be allowed to enter.

Clem72

Plus... the base traffic would dominate the circle. Any traffic from Indian Bridge and Flat Iron would NEVER be allowed to enter.

Guess you edited your post while I was replying. The minimal traffic from Flat Iron would be unaffected or improved (again assuming people can figure out how traffic circles work and give way appropriately), and given how many of the Indian Bridge folks cut behind the business on the corner to avoid the light I am sure they are aggressive enough that they won't be waiting all that long (plus plenty of timid people entering the circle will give them the chance to jump in). The IB folks probably wouldn't be waiting as long as they currently do for the light, and even if it were a couple more minutes it would pale in comparison to the amount of time saved for the people going the other way.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Bottom line, it is all political pandering. Closing the intersection will make it look like they are going to make "improvements".
But as we all are aware, MDOT and the state government move slow. Plus they probably don;t have the funds to actually start construction.
The problem is the bridge, with a traffic light on both sides. For some reason they think taking two lanes and jamming them into one, in a short distance is an improvement. It's cheap.

By the way Vria, almost every intersection has a state induced "WTF?"

Ever notice they have a lane marked LEFT TURN (only), STRAIGHT and LEFT), but then don't mark the third lane. Is it right turn and straight or right turn only, or is open to make a left? Trust me, since it's not marked, someone will do it.

Goldenhawk

Bottom line, it is all political pandering. Closing the intersection will make it look like they are going to make "improvements".
While plenty of that does go on around here, I really don't get that impression from what I read. It sounds like they are starting on necessary tasks that will end up fitting the overall work plan, as a show of good faith. Putting necessary curbs in place, and realigning traffic patterns in keeping with the eventual expected flow, is not just pandering; it's smart use of existing dollars.

BernieP

Resident PIA
While plenty of that does go on around here, I really don't get that impression from what I read. It sounds like they are starting on necessary tasks that will end up fitting the overall work plan, as a show of good faith. Putting necessary curbs in place, and realigning traffic patterns in keeping with the eventual expected flow, is not just pandering; it's smart use of existing dollars.
all they are going to do is make the situation worse, you can't put one part in and leave the bottleneck in place.
IF the bridge in in the MDOT plans, it will be a minimum of ten years. In the mean time, traffic will take the impact of construction and confusion.

Sometimes leaving a bad situation in place is better than a half ass change.

BernieP

Resident PIA
For a half ass change, see 235. You don;t make a commuter route your business and residential district. That's exactly what "smart growth did with 235. All the development added light, cut troughs and driveways which slows down traffic.

Goldenhawk

all they are going to do is make the situation worse, you can't put one part in and leave the bottleneck in place.
IF the bridge in in the MDOT plans, it will be a minimum of ten years. In the mean time, traffic will take the impact of construction and confusion.

Sometimes leaving a bad situation in place is better than a half ass change.
Sorry, but I don't see that. I travel that intersection daily, and the change they're making WILL improve afternoon traffic instantly.

Reactions: TPD