Olympic Aire prices unfair! Beware!

SoMdDude

Now you can call them to come back and find out where the freon leak is...., freon doesn't get used up and if they had to add some either there is a leak on your 2 yr old system or they didn't install it right the first time or the the guy who came out didn't know what the heck is was talking about and now you have a system that has too much freon in it, take your pick.

It was slightly low, and it wasnt FREON it was Puron. Freon and Puron evaporate over time, if i had a leak it would of been missing a lot more dont you think?

C

czygvtwkr

It was slightly low, and it wasnt FREON it was Puron. Freon and Puron evaporate over time, if i had a leak it would of been missing a lot more dont you think?

Its a closed system, there is no where for it to evaporate to. If it has less than it use to then there is a slight leak, like a helium balloon.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
Olympic Aire out of White Plains?

Funny they have been nothing but professional and courteous to us, we had this company install a new blower, and heat pump 2 springs ago.

Well come this spring, our heat pumps fan outside stops working... we had a 2 year service agreement that came with the new system. If anything happened they would come out the SAME day and check things out and fix it at no charge. So anyway.... the tech gets here.. and checks it all out.. said it was maybe 1lb low on preon and filled it up, got the fan working fine again. Comes back about 10 minutes later and says unfortunately your service agreement ran out 4 days ago.. this would normally cost you $129 w/o an agreement ... "BUT I WENT AHEAD AND HONORED IF FOR YOU.. NO CHARGE TODAY."
Pretty stand up company if you ask me (from my experience with them) I am going to renew the service agreement here very soon for a year which is like $200
So, it went well for you and it's ok for you to speak highly about them but NOT OK for me to speak against them if I'm not satisfied with their rates???
You sound like my Dad. He, too, couldn't see that they were just doing this so that he would renew his service contract, which he did until he died.
I told him to let it go for about 10 years before looking into a service contract but he wouldn't listen. They serviced his unit for 10 years and then convinced him that he needed an entirely new system!!! It was only 11 years old and did NOT need replacing!!! He almost paid for the new unit in service contract fees alone and they still charged him $3,500 for the new unit!!! A sucker's born every day....nice to meet another one...
Think about how much of a rip off a service plan is in MOST cases.
Why pay $200 a year when the unit RARELY needs anything? Let's see: over 10 years you would pay $2,000 or more for unnecessary services HOPING that something is wrong now & then, right? I paid $189 once in 10 years for unnecessary services. You should be the one to complain!
So you're just a cheap bastard that probably expects to get paid for your worth and experience, but refuses to pay others the same..
Actually, my parents were married when I was born........

C

citizen_fear

No I dont, Freon and Puron are the same as Puron is a brand name(Carrier) but it is all R410A or R22 for residential split systems. The only time you would have to add some is if the level falls or there was not enough in it to begin with, it does not get used. It recycles itself in the system and does not escape to the atmosphere unless it has access to the enviroment.It DOES evaporate in the system when it changes from a liquid to a gas......that's when it feels cold.

Either it has a leak, wasn't charged correctly to begin with or now is overcharged, There are no if, ands or buts about it. Hopefully it has the correct level now.

Last edited by a moderator:

dn0121

No I dont, Freon and Puron are the same as Puron is a brand name(Carrier) but it is all R410A or R22 for residential split systems. The only time you would have to add some is if the level falls or there was not enough in it to begin with, it does not get used. It recycles itself in the system and does not escape to the atmosphere unless it has access to the enviroment.It DOES evaporate in the system when it changes from a liquid to a gas......that's when it feels cold.

Either it has a leak, wasn't charged correctly to begin with or now is overcharged, There are no if, ands or buts about it. Hopefully it has the correct level now.

:yeahthat:

SoMdDude

Where did i EVER state it was NOT ok for you to voice your displeasure with them? Oh yea, i didn't :smack: .... I was just stating I have not had any problems with them is all.

And our old system was the original one that was put in the house, the old owners got a new heat pump like 4-5 years before we bought the house. The old system just literally died on us, the house I live in is over 20 years old.

To you all responding about the possible leak....the tech had wrote on the receipt that a "cap" was loose and he re tightened it, and that could of caused the leakage of the puron.

So, it went well for you and it's ok for you to speak highly about them but NOT OK for me to speak against them if I'm not satisfied with their rates???
You sound like my Dad. He, too, couldn't see that they were just doing this so that he would renew his service contract, which he did until he died.
I told him to let it go for about 10 years before looking into a service contract but he wouldn't listen. They serviced his unit for 10 years and then convinced him that he needed an entirely new system!!! It was only 11 years old and did NOT need replacing!!! He almost paid for the new unit in service contract fees alone and they still charged him $3,500 for the new unit!!! A sucker's born every day....nice to meet another one...
Why pay $200 a year when the unit RARELY needs anything? Let's see: over 10 years you would pay $2,000 or more for unnecessary services HOPING that something is wrong now & then, right? I paid $189 once in 10 years for unnecessary services. You should be the one to complain!

Last edited:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

Speak up all you want, it kind of makes you look stupid, but what the hell go for it.

bcp

In My Opinion
Now me on the other hand would have wanted to know exactly what was involved for that amount. New filters? cleaning? something, give me something, I can pretty much look at the furnace myself and tell you what condition its in.
The only reason I would think about getting a service check is because its almost impossible to find someone that will come out and fix a problem if you are not one of their "service customers"

I do it all myself, the complete job cost me around 30 bucks, including all filters. I even replace the nozzle and clean and set the gap in the igniters.

SoMDGirl42

Be thankful he was honest and didn't spend an hour tinkering around in there while he was really texting his girlfriend setting up a hot lunch date, and then come out and say you needed a thousand dollars in parts which you really didn't need.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
Speak up all you want, it kind of makes you look stupid, but what the hell go for it.
If you think I look stupid, then I MUST be a genius.
Now me on the other hand would have wanted to know exactly what was involved for that amount. New filters? cleaning? something, give me something, I can pretty much look at the furnace myself and tell you what condition its in.
The only reason I would think about getting a service check is because its almost impossible to find someone that will come out and fix a problem if you are not one of their "service customers"
I do it all myself, the complete job cost me around 30 bucks, including all filters. I even replace the nozzle and clean and set the gap in the igniters.
Thank God! One person sees what I'm getting at!
I was led to believe that it would take over an hour for the service. They lied to me! Had I been told it takes 30 minutes, I would have laughed and said no thanks. She told me what the 15 points were that the tech performs on the unit and said it takes 1-2 hours! Ok? Are you all really that back woods that you can't see this?
I also do most of my own maintenance too. I check connections, clean the fins of the inside coil, change my filter and remove and lubricate the fan motor. I was just curious if my freon level was ok so I called them for a check up. I just thought I would help you ungratefuls by telling you what happened!

Mojo

If you think I look stupid, then I MUST be a genius.

Thank God! One person sees what I'm getting at!
I was led to believe that it would take over an hour for the service. They lied to me! Had I been told it takes 30 minutes, I would have laughed and said no thanks. She told me what the 15 points were that the tech performs on the unit and said it takes 1-2 hours! Ok? Are you all really that back woods that you can't see this?
I also do most of my own maintenance too. I check connections, clean the fins of the inside coil, change my filter and remove and lubricate the fan motor. I was just curious if my freon level was ok so I called them for a check up. I just thought I would help you ungratefuls by telling you what happened!

You were told exactly what he was going to do and you were charged the price you were quoted :shrug: Maybe that time is based on the 80 year old guy that normally comes out and does it.

tagryn

He could have signed up for their yearly plan for only $132 and saved some $$$; that includes the annual checkup it sounds like they did.

And that's a pretty good recommendation in my mind, that even when complaining he still said their technician "did a good job" and "was respectful of (his) carpet." Sounds like the tech was efficient as well, if he did the job in less time than was anticipated. I fail to see the problem here. :coffee:

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider

He could have signed up for their yearly plan for only $132 and saved some $$$; that includes the annual checkup it sounds like they did.
And that's a pretty good recommendation in my mind, that even when complaining he still said their technician "did a good job" and "was respectful of (his) carpet." Sounds like the tech was efficient as well, if he did the job in less time than was anticipated. I fail to see the problem here. :coffee:
THAT'S THE PROBLEM with most of you here!
How can anyone be dumb enough to think that a service plan benefits YOU?
Let's see: "Oh geee, I saved so much by buying a service plan. See? I only pay $132 a year for it. After 15 years of bi-annual service calls (which I don't need), I've paid for a new unit. When I need one, of course they charge me a lot for it but I have a service plan"...:dork:
Ever read about how MOST service plans are a ripoff? Car warranties, extended service plans on electronic equipment or whatever, most of them are ripoffs.
I quoted myself for the benefit of those of you dumb enough to buy service plans which is EASY money for them.:jameo: :jameo:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
THAT'S THE PROBLEM with most of you here!
How can anyone be dumb enough to think that a service plan benefits YOU?
Let's see: "Oh geee, I saved so much by buying a service plan. See? I only pay $132 a year for it. After 15 years of bi-annual service calls (which I don't need), I've paid for a new unit. When I need one, of course they charge me a lot for it but I have a service plan"...:dork:
Ever read about how MOST service plans are a ripoff? Car warranties, extended service plans on electronic equipment or whatever, most of them are ripoffs.
I quoted myself for the benefit of those of you dumb enough to buy service plans which is EASY money for them.:jameo: :jameo:
The question really is, how does someone know the price upfront and is still dumb enough to wants to ##### about it.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
The question really is, how does someone know the price upfront and is still dumb enough to wants to ##### about it.
I heard that a young friend of mine worked for this company so I thought I'd help her out by using their services OK?
Do you think $189 is a fair price for a Spring check up? I didn't until I was told that it can take up to 2 hours, so I figured that was ok knowing that the going rate is @ $95-99 per hour, times 2 hours, it seemed ok. She said they usually spend a lot of time cleaning the coils and adding coolant.
She said even if it takes longer, the charge is the same. What she didn't say is that it rarely takes that long and that their prices are not adjusted even if it takes 10 minutes. It's a ripoff and it's wrong! I was in the service business for decades and I only charged customers for the time the job took. We didn't have a "one price fits all" because not all jobs are the same. Their yellow pages ad sounded so honest and fair but it wasn't to be. Rick is a ripoff artist. A wolf in sheeps clothing.
When it took 30 minutes I knew they were crooked. They then tried to appease me by saying they'd do a Fall service for me without the $99 service fee. Like there would be a second time.....

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I heard that a young friend of mine worked for this company so I thought I'd help her out by using their services OK?
Do you think $189 is a fair price for a Spring check up? I didn't until I was told that it can take up to 2 hours, so I figured that was ok knowing that the going rate is @ $95-99 per hour, times 2 hours, it seemed ok. She said they usually spend a lot of time cleaning the coils and adding coolant.
She said even if it takes longer, the charge is the same. What she didn't say is that it rarely takes that long and that their prices are not adjusted even if it takes 10 minutes. It's a ripoff and it's wrong! I was in the service business for decades and I only charged customers for the time the job took. We didn't have a "one price fits all" because not all jobs are the same. Their yellow pages ad sounded so honest and fair but it wasn't to be. Rick is a ripoff artist. A wolf in sheeps clothing.
When it took 30 minutes I knew they were crooked. They then tried to appease me by saying they'd do a Fall service for me without the $99 service fee. Like there would be a second time.....
You have buyers remorse. Get over it. No one duped you.

I had my ducts cleaned today. I was quoted $395.00 for the 1st 10 vents and $20.00 per vent there after. Girl said he'd be here most of the day. I had 7 additional vents. The total came to $535.00. he told me mine were already quite clean and was one of the easiest he'd ever done. Everything was very accessible. He was done in about 3 hours. I'm happy with the job he did and price I paid.

C

czygvtwkr

So you are saying your young friend is a liar?

slaphappynmd

I had my ducts cleaned today. I was quoted $395.00 for the 1st 10 vents and $20.00 per vent there after. Girl said he'd be here most of the day. I had 7 additional vents. The total came to $535.00. he told me mine were already quite clean and was one of the easiest he'd ever done. Everything was very accessible. He was done in about 3 hours. I'm happy with the job he did and price I paid.

Damn. You are beyond stupid. Duct cleaning is just a scam. Next time you want to throw away $535 give it to Andy to get laid.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider

You sound dumber than you think I am....
I've been in this house for 24 years and my ducts are as clean as the day they were installed.