On Senator Murphy: Because that sounds like to me a violation of the Logan Act."

Barabbas

Of course, Congressional Representatives and Senators are exempt from many laws, including the Logan Act.

Hijinx

Of course, Congressional Representatives and Senators are exempt from many laws, including the Logan Act.
It certainly appears that way.
At least John Kerry does ----and now Murphy.

The really insane thing is that while these folks sneak around and have talks with America's enemies, they accuse Trump of collusion.
I know Barr has a difficult job, but why is it that we cannot get an Attorney General that nails these people?

Barabbas

It certainly appears that way.
At least John Kerry does ----and now Murphy.

The really insane thing is that while these folks sneak around and have talks with America's enemies, they accuse Trump of collusion.
I know Barr has a difficult job, but why is it that we cannot get an Attorney General that nails these people?
Kerry, at the time he violated it, did not have immunity from it, but Murphy does.

I believe the reason AG's don't prosecute folks like Clinton, McCabe, Comey, Brennan, etc., is that the number of people taken down with them would be catastrophic to the functioning of government. Who is not guilty?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

It's so broad and open to interpretation as to be worthless.

Any citizen of the United States, wherever he may be, who, without authority of the United States, directly or indirectly commences or carries on any correspondence or intercourse with any foreign government or any officer or agent thereof, with intent to influence the measures or conduct of any foreign government or of any officer or agent thereof, in relation to any disputes or controversies with the United States, or to defeat the measures of the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

This section shall not abridge the right of a citizen to apply himself, or his agent, to any foreign government, or the agents thereof, for redress of any injury which he may have sustained from such government or any of its agents or subjects.

Does a US Senator have the authority of the United States? One would say s/he does. But:

It seems like there is nothing and everything that violates the Logan Act, depending on who's goring whose ox.

Barabbas

It's so broad and open to interpretation as to be worthless.

Any citizen of the United States, wherever he may be, who, without authority of the United States, directly or indirectly commences or carries on any correspondence or intercourse with any foreign government or any officer or agent thereof, with intent to influence the measures or conduct of any foreign government or of any officer or agent thereof, in relation to any disputes or controversies with the United States, or to defeat the measures of the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

This section shall not abridge the right of a citizen to apply himself, or his agent, to any foreign government, or the agents thereof, for redress of any injury which he may have sustained from such government or any of its agents or subjects.

Does a US Senator have the authority of the United States? One would say s/he does. But:

It seems like there is nothing and everything that violates the Logan Act, depending on who's goring whose ox.
I stand corrected - based on the SCOTUS ruling that the president is the sole person able to authorize someone to discuss with "authority of the United States", Murphy could easily be prosecuted.

He won't be, but that's an interesting twist.