On the gay marriage debate

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka

Attachments

• Obama Newsweeks's first gay president.jpg
    Obama Newsweeks's first gay president.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 19

nomoney

Ok, so you wanted the 3 reasons...who cares. those are my 3 & i'll stand by them regardless. nobody says you have to, but to call me a name like that?? just goes to show why lettin ya'll outta the kitchen & laundry room was the biggest mistake man ever made...if you have an opinion, tell your husband...most other men could care less TYVM!!

Oh, so you're one of THOSE :duh:

After you're done beating your wife, you should give us three more reasons - try ones that don't relate back to religion since this is a government issue.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Gay marriage should not be a thing for Government, particularly the Federal Government, to deal with. As a Christian Conservative I have very strong feelings on whether gay marriage is right or wrong, but the judgment is up to God, not the Federal Government. But this in my mind applies equally in both directions - the President and no other Government official should endorse or reject gay marriage. It's not a "law" issue, it's a moral issue.

libby

I am categorically against gay marriage, but because our society has become so saturated with sex as purely recreational, and not sacred at all, there is not one leg to stand on from a "what God intended" perspective.
God did not intend for divorce, co-habitation, and multiple hetero-sexual partners, either, but it's done and pretty much celebrated all over the world.

The "slippery slope" that we (and I include myself here) claim will happen if gay marriage is legalized, it did not begin with gay marriage. It begins with every single one of us who does not live up to our vows, to stay together, to forsake all others, etc., whether taken before God, or Mother Earth, or whatever.

Multiple partners would have been deviant behavior generations ago. Gay sex just 30 years ago, and today pedophilia. That will change, but not because of gays, but because of us.

It's pathetic how all of us (once again, I include myself) have so much to say about others' sins, or misbehavior, but can find any and all justifications for our own.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I am categorically against gay marriage, but because our society has become so saturated with sex as purely recreational, and not sacred at all, there is not one leg to stand on from a "what God intended" perspective.
God did not intend for divorce, co-habitation, and multiple hetero-sexual partners, either, but it's done and pretty much celebrated all over the world.

The "slippery slope" that we (and I include myself here) claim will happen if gay marriage is legalized, it did not begin with gay marriage. It begins with every single one of us who does not live up to our vows, to stay together, to forsake all others, etc., whether taken before God, or Mother Earth, or whatever.

Multiple partners would have been deviant behavior generations ago. Gay sex just 30 years ago, and today pedophilia. That will change, but not because of gays, but because of us.

It's pathetic how all of us (once again, I include myself) have so much to say about others' sins, or misbehavior, but can find any and all justifications for our own.

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, did you enjoy the play? :lol:

This never ending desire to paint today as not only worse than the generation before but, bleakly so, fascinates me.

Beating ones wife, forcing yourself on her, is now seen as criminal and not simply the husbands God given right. Slavery is no more in this nation. We have a kinda black guy as potus who may or may not be bisexual. Women hold senior positions, make millions. Minorities flock to the US, still, to seek a better life. We argue now whether Trayvon Martin was killed in self defense or not when as little as a generation or two ago, a white mob might have hung him for being in the wrong neighborhood, Skittles or not. Abortions, like 'em or not, are done in a clean professional environment and not some seedy outlaw fashion. We pewl about voting rights not because of someone being denied the franchise but, because some think one per customer, one per breathing citizen customer, is quite enough. And gays no longer live in fear of secret bars and meeting places being found out and facing ruin in a nation that, not too long ago, felt that they were the last group it was OK for everyone to pick on.

We may not have a perfect union but, we also have much to celebrate and few problems that are, medically, scientifically, engineering wise, are beyond us. We are, in many ways, a more coarse society. In others, less so. Much less so. All in all, we are still the best thing going and simply need to find some common ground, now that picking on women, blacks and queers are all passe, some common ground to unify us and coalesce out hate around.

I give you the white, heterosexual male.

:buddies:

Needles

On an unrelated topic, if someone got a sex change to a woman from a man and then got married to a man would that be considered gay marriage?

My first post! :)

libby

This never ending desire to paint today as not only worse than the generation before but, bleakly so, fascinates me.

How do you get that from my post? I never said this generation was somehow worse than other times in history; in fact, I believe these things are cyclical.

If you think that this society is as moral/altruistic/self-disciplined as it can be, then you have a very low standard. The gov't encourages bad behavior and decision making with many of it's policies, which is a new phenomenon in world history, as far as I can tell. Personal resposiblity lies with nobody.
However, my original point was that for anyone here who might suddenly be up in arms about the morality, or even the potential legal precedent set by gay marriage, they need to look at themselves and how they've contributed to the decline of sexual mores.
For the heterosexual community to be free to act on their urges, without so much as a raised eyebrow, how can we demand chastity from the gay community?
I even feel badly for Catholic priests (not the pedophiles, but, for example, the one in today's headlines). They fall in their efforts to be chaste, and it's a worldwide scandal, yet they are still men in a world that celebrates relieving every urge. It must be a tremendously difficult vow to fulfill. People break marriage vows all the time and, again, no one bats an eye. For a priest, his vows are the sacramental equivalent, but when he falls it's somehow considered a graver error. Why? Because he preaches? If that's the case, a divorced person cannot say that he believe marriage should be forever. A smoker can't say " don't smoke", etc.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
How do you get that from my post? I never said this generation was somehow worse than other times in history; in fact, I believe these things are cyclical.

If you think that this society is as moral/altruistic/self-disciplined as it can be, then you have a very low standard. The gov't encourages bad behavior and decision making with many of it's policies, which is a new phenomenon in world history, as far as I can tell. Personal resposiblity lies with nobody.
However, my original point was that for anyone here who might suddenly be up in arms about the morality, or even the potential legal precedent set by gay marriage, they need to look at themselves and how they've contributed to the decline of sexual mores.
For the heterosexual community to be free to act on their urges, without so much as a raised eyebrow, how can we demand chastity from the gay community?
I even feel badly for Catholic priests (not the pedophiles, but, for example, the one in today's headlines). They fall in their efforts to be chaste, and it's a worldwide scandal, yet they are still men in a world that celebrates relieving every urge. It must be a tremendously difficult vow to fulfill. People break marriage vows all the time and, again, no one bats an eye. For a priest, his vows are the sacramental equivalent, but when he falls it's somehow considered a graver error. Why? Because he preaches? If that's the case, a divorced person cannot say that he believe marriage should be forever. A smoker can't say " don't smoke", etc.

This is how;

but because our society has become so saturated with sex as purely recreational, and not sacred at all, there is not one leg to stand on from a "what God intended" perspective.

Sounds downward to me. :buddies:

Vince

Ya know, there are so many more important issues at stake than the dumbazz gay marriage debate. :doh: