One More Experiment

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
You've probably figured out by now I like to experiment and try different cooking methods. Tonight was a smoked NY Strip.

Found a bone-in NY strip in the freezer, decided that was tonight's dinner. After defrosting, seasoned it with the usual, salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder, turmeric, and for a different flavor, malt vinegar, then into a vacuum sealed bag to marinated for a few hours at room temp.

Thought about how to cook it... smoked sounded interesting, but didn't want to do the whole heavy smoke thing. The smoker puts out a huge cloud of smoke when first lighting, so thought maybe I could get a "cold" smoke to start, then finish on a hot grill. Put the steak on the cold smoker and lit it. Left it in until the smoke pretty much disappeared, took the steak off, turn the smoker up to 500*. When it got to temp, put the steak back on to sear it.

Really, really good flavor, not like any steak I've ever had. It was delicious. Just a bit more than a hint of smoke, but not strong. The malt vinegar gave it a completely different flavor. I'll do that again fer sure.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
@Sneakers what kind of smoker do you have?
A Pit Boss, small table-top size. Perfect for what I need. This one is only sold at WalMart.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
You've probably figured out by now I like to experiment and try different cooking methods. Tonight was a smoked NY Strip.

Found a bone-in NY strip in the freezer, decided that was tonight's dinner. After defrosting, seasoned it with the usual, salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder, turmeric, and for a different flavor, malt vinegar, then into a vacuum sealed bag to marinated for a few hours at room temp.

Thought about how to cook it... smoked sounded interesting, but didn't want to do the whole heavy smoke thing. The smoker puts out a huge cloud of smoke when first lighting, so thought maybe I could get a "cold" smoke to start, then finish on a hot grill. Put the steak on the cold smoker and lit it. Left it in until the smoke pretty much disappeared, took the steak off, turn the smoker up to 500*. When it got to temp, put the steak back on to sear it.

Really, really good flavor, not like any steak I've ever had. It was delicious. Just a bit more than a hint of smoke, but not strong. The malt vinegar gave it a completely different flavor. I'll do that again fer sure.
smoked steaks are out of this world. Just had some over the weekend. Have you added smoked burgers to your experimental list? Dear gawd my mouth is watering at 8am thinking about those...hafta grab some for my husband to smoke this weekend. Just amazing.