One of Those Days...

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Feeling really good about projects around the house. Just had a new entry door installed in the family room, been waiting on that for quite a while. The original door was too shallow after I bumped the walls out 6". Looks great now. I had a pretty new, maybe a year old, storm door on the outside, so I had to take that off before the new door could go in, the door company said it was my issue since it's not part of the door system they were installing. Ok, fair. No problem. Take it off, put it on the side. New door goes in. Today I start putting the storm door back up. Got out the old instructions, drilled and mounted the door frame pieces, hung the door and closed it. Well.... almost closed it. On the latch side of the door is a 2" gap top to bottom. wtf....

When they measured for the new door, the opening was able to accommodate a 34" standard door. The original door was only 32". I had no idea the new door was larger. So now the storm door is 2" too small. :doh: Never even considered something like that.

Ordered a new one, same make/style, and hoping the screw holes will line up with the ones I just made in the brand new door frame.

Anyone need a white, slightly used 32x81" Larson Savannah storm door?

SamSpade

Feeling really good about projects around the house. Just had a new entry door installed in the family room, been waiting on that for quite a while. The original door was too shallow after I bumped the walls out 6". Looks great now. I had a pretty new, maybe a year old, storm door on the outside, so I had to take that off before the new door could go in, the door company said it was my issue since it's not part of the door system they were installing. Ok, fair. No problem. Take it off, put it on the side. New door goes in. Today I start putting the storm door back up. Got out the old instructions, drilled and mounted the door frame pieces, hung the door and closed it. Well.... almost closed it. On the latch side of the door is a 2" gap top to bottom. wtf....

When they measured for the new door, the opening was able to accommodate a 34" standard door. The original door was only 32". I had no idea the new door was larger. So now the storm door is 2" too small. :doh: Never even considered something like that.

Ordered a new one, same make/style, and hoping the screw holes will line up with the ones I just made in the brand new door frame.

Ha! I realize this is an old post - now - but the first thing I did was go out to the porch to check the dimensions of my weird-ass, custom made porch door.

Nope. Worth a try.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Ha! I realize this is an old post - now - but the first thing I did was go out to the porch to check the dimensions of my weird-ass, custom made porch door.

Nope. Worth a try.
Thanx for looking! :lol:

I decided to use the old 32" storm on my garage door, fits fine. And since the garage door was a POS, I used the old exterior door from the family room to replace that one too. All fitted, just needs to be sanded and painted.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

There are extensions, (look like a squared U that slip on from the bottom), that can be installed on those doors to allow for variances in height.