Online Dating and the ex

USWWarrior

It's a Jeep thang!
In honor of Vrail and her love for the online dating world, I have to ask this question:

How many of you divorced/seperated folks have made a profile on an online dating site and then found your ex-significant other there? What was your reaction?

Just curious.

TruckLuvr

I did a search for my STBXH when I created my profile. I also did a quick check through spokeo. I got a little scared and hid my profile since we are not legally separated. I didn't want him to be able to use the OLD against me. STBXH and I met through OLD 10 years ago.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I found a couple of guys that I'd dated in the past and after reading their profile I was like:

LIAR!

It's not so much that they lied but they had some important omissions. Like "I'm also gay" and "I'm a massive control freak" and "I'm an emotional retard." Oh, and "social drinker" seems to be quite subjective.

TruckLuvr

Like "I'm also gay" and "I'm a massive control freak" and "I'm an emotional retard." Oh, and "social drinker" seems to be quite subjective.

vraiblonde,

I too have found that you have a lot of weeding out to do. The main thing is if you have specifics within your profile about let's say, age and the age range you are seeking, I get all kinds of contacts that are outside of that age range. I also found that the "social drinker" is prominent which I take to mean that they are still into the bar scene regularly. I feel for you with the one about being gay, I think I would have lost it on that one.

FED_UP

I found a couple of guys that I'd dated in the past and after reading their profile I was like:

LIAR!

It's not so much that they lied but they had some important omissions. Like "I'm also gay" and "I'm a massive control freak" and "I'm an emotional retard." Oh, and "social drinker" seems to be quite subjective.

:killingme

Radiant1

Soul Probe
I'm pretty sure that the guys have to do just as much weeding, and I'm also pretty sure that more than a few women aren't totally honest either. It's not like they're going to type "I'm a raging alcoholic who goes bipolar once a month with five babies daddies and have been married and divorced three times." :lol:

I never did see a profile for my ex-husband, but I have seen co-workers.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's not like they're going to type "I'm a raging alcoholic who goes bipolar once a month with five babies daddies and have been married and divorced three times." :lol:

Exactly. Which is why it's better to meet people IRL instead of computer dating. At least if you know people who know him (or her) you can get a heads up on that sort of thing.

"So, tell me about so-and-so...?"
Forget him, he's gay; or She has a thing for men who smoke crack and an aversion to birth control.

Nice to get that out of the way before you invest any time.

dontknowwhy

LIAR!

:killingme:killingme

When did you realize he really WASN'T gay??
This is polite man code for "you need to be put in a straightjacket, locked in a rubber room, & pumped full of Thorozine you frickin psycho!!" just for future reference vrai

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
:killingme:killingme

When did you realize he really WASN'T gay??
This is polite man code for "you need to be put in a straightjacket, locked in a rubber room, & pumped full of Thorozine you frickin psycho!!" just for future reference vrai

So you're saying that men turn gay rather than simply tell a woman they're not interested in her? An extreme version of "the fade"?

Apparently it's worse out there than I thought.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I'm pretty sure that the guys have to do just as much weeding, and I'm also pretty sure that more than a few women aren't totally honest either.
Understatement of the year.... :lol:

Posting a pic of a 5'-8", attractive brunette then showing up as a 4'-11" tall x 4' wide blonde is NOT funny! :mad:

Neither is using a picture of your mother from the 60's (mom was cute, daughter, not so much). :barf:

Disclaimer: I am not referring to R1 with either of the above. She is a cutie.

Im_Me

Back when I first had a profile I was letting a friend read it to comment. She happened to look down at my responses and saw her ex-husband and she was pissed. She made me delete him right away (I wasn't interested anyway) Kind of uncomfortable.

I had a short exchange with my ex when I first signed up, along the lines of making sure we were on different sites. :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
When I was on Match it kept trying to hook me up with a guy I was already sorta kinda seeing, who I liked okay but he wasn't "the guy". I thought it was interesting because we *are* very compatible on paper, but not so much in reality.

CaneCorso

LIAR!

:lmao:

First time I tried on-line dating the first woman they matched me up with was the woman I just had a nasty break-up with! Pretty much left after my trial subscription was up thinking what a waste... but I did enjoy reading her profile and rolling on the floor laughing my @$$ off!

I think you should put together a guide to decoding online dating descriptions i.e. "healthy appetite for life = I'll eat anything not nailed down to the table"