Online Dating and the ex

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
No I wouldn't and couldn't. Still to much of an open wound for me. How can you date when all you think of is what went wrong and why are my kids so sad and angry all the time?

Last edited:

lucky_bee

RBF expert
When I was on Match it kept trying to hook me up with a guy I was already sorta kinda seeing, who I liked okay but he wasn't "the guy". I thought it was interesting because we *are* very compatible on paper, but not so much in reality.

Although online dating works for some, this is the main reason I'd never bother. Any guy I've met that was perfect for me on paper, was just...blah. Having a site tell me how compatible this person would be, sounds like they'd try and match me up with someone just like me.

1. I don't want to date me.

2. Any of my successful/fulfilling relationships have always been with guys that I only shared a few similarites with.

Having someone a little opposite of me makes everything more interesting in so many ways. An online dating site won't find that for me.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Although online dating works for some, this is the main reason I'd never bother. Any guy I've met that was perfect for me on paper, was just...blah. Having a site tell me how compatible this person would be, sounds like they'd try and match me up with someone just like me.

2. Any of my successful/fulfilling relationships have always been with guys that I only shared a few similarites with.

Having someone a little opposite of me makes everything more interesting in so many ways. An online dating site won't find that for me.

To me compatibility is subjective. You can have a laundry list of what you want in a guy, but the one that fits the suit is - like you said - blah. Then there's the guy who only has a few of the items on your wish list but you had chemistry, hit it off, and fell madly in love.

I'm a big fan of being madly in love; mutual passion makes up for an awful lot of incompatibilities. I mean, sure, you want a companion but hopefully you also want a lover. Otherwise you'd just hang out with your existing friends and call it good.

But that's just me; I know a number of couples who aren't madly in love and have no passion to speak of, but they've been perfectly happy together for many years.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
To me compatibility is subjective. You can have a laundry list of what you want in a guy, but the one that fits the suit is - like you said - blah. Then there's the guy who only has a few of the items on your wish list but you had chemistry, hit it off, and fell madly in love.

I'm a big fan of being madly in love; mutual passion makes up for an awful lot of incompatibilities. I mean, sure, you want a companion but hopefully you also want a lover. Otherwise you'd just hang out with your existing friends and call it good.

But that's just me; I know a number of couples who aren't madly in love and have no passion to speak of, but they've been perfectly happy together for many years.

:yay: Exactly. I'm not looking for someone that I argue with day in and day out, but I DO need someone that has their own life and own opinions. I'm one of those people that wants someone to knock my socks off continually. Passion is a huge thing for me. Agreeing on everything gets boring.

Arguing every once in awhile, then knocking my socks off is much more fun :love:

mitzi

In honor of Vrail and her love for the online dating world, I have to ask this question:

How many of you divorced/seperated folks have made a profile on an online dating site and then found your ex-significant other there? What was your reaction?

Just curious.

Mine showed up as my NUMBER 1 MATCH. :killingme

bcp

In My Opinion
I found a couple of guys that I'd dated in the past and after reading their profile I was like:

LIAR!

It's not so much that they lied but they had some important omissions. Like "I'm also gay" and "I'm a massive control freak" and "I'm an emotional retard." Oh, and "social drinker" seems to be quite subjective.

so I guess my ad wont get any hits.
Ugly fat mentally unstable and poor old guy that drinks like a fish and often needs to be driven home seeking physically fit 25 year old to buy his drinks, drive him home then have sex with him should the noodle awaken.
Must like cats and cockroaches.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Ugly fat mentally unstable and poor old guy that drinks like a fish and often needs to be driven home seeking physically fit 25 year old to buy his drinks, drive him home then have sex with him should the noodle awaken.

:lol:

I would applaud your honesty.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

That's the key; 'on paper'.

I presume there are some people who know themselves so well that they can, in fact, make a list, that will be accurate, of the kind of person they want in terms of;

sex
family
money
entertainment
vacation
food
cleanliness/house keeping
conversation/intellect/character
conflict resolution

...all of it, and it will work for them forever.

But, it seems to me that how those things actually go together, the mixing of two people, how it actually works in practice, add in kids, family, work, laundry, dinner, pets, neighbors, friends, the weather, health, ALL of that, you simply can't know how it will, or won't work, unless and until you dive in.

And that's what the vow is for; "To have and to hold, in health and sickness, no matter how ####ing awful you become to one another, now matter how things evolve or devolve, you are freaking stuck, no matter what, and will, under any and all circumstances suck it up, take responsibility for your mess and deal with it, period, end of story, too bad for you, so help me god. You may now kiss and good luck, pal!"

USWWarrior

It's a Jeep thang!

I did that once. Actually got a few responses that I shouldn't be so hard on myself...

USWWarrior

It's a Jeep thang!
Mine showed up as my NUMBER 1 MATCH. :killingme

This is exactly one of the reasons I started this post. I busted up laughing.

Oh and for the record, she is/was/will not ever be by number 1 match anymore in real life.

Last edited:

USWWarrior

It's a Jeep thang!
I'm pretty sure that the guys have to do just as much weeding, and I'm also pretty sure that more than a few women aren't totally honest either. It's not like they're going to type "I'm a raging alcoholic who goes bipolar once a month with five babies daddies and have been married and divorced three times." :lol:

I never did see a profile for my ex-husband, but I have seen co-workers.

I think I met her and she had 3 different profiles...:killingme

USWWarrior

It's a Jeep thang!

And I quit doing the online stuff because I realized my heart wasnt into establishing another relationship. So why continue, not only mis-leading her but mis-leading myself. Which some ladies might then accuse me of being gay...:killingme

I find the produce section at the grocery store is a better venue than online sites...grinning

JUST KIDDING!!!

sunnyside393

Omg!

That's the key; 'on paper'.

I presume there are some people who know themselves so well that they can, in fact, make a list, that will be accurate, of the kind of person they want in terms of;

sex
family
money
entertainment
vacation
food
cleanliness/house keeping
conversation/intellect/character
conflict resolution

...all of it, and it will work for them forever.

But, it seems to me that how those things actually go together, the mixing of two people, how it actually works in practice, add in kids, family, work, laundry, dinner, pets, neighbors, friends, the weather, health, ALL of that, you simply can't know how it will, or won't work, unless and until you dive in.

And that's what the vow is for; "To have and to hold, in health and sickness, no matter how ####ing awful you become to one another, now matter how things evolve or devolve, you are freaking stuck, no matter what, and will, under any and all circumstances suck it up, take responsibility for your mess and deal with it, period, end of story, too bad for you, so help me god. You may now kiss and good luck, pal!"

LMAO.....I just got out of a relationship from a local guy, prominent businessman, that you described perfectly with the whole vow thing! :yahoo

acommondisaster

And I quit doing the online stuff because I realized my heart wasnt into establishing another relationship. So why continue, not only mis-leading her but mis-leading myself. Which some ladies might then accuse me of being gay...:killingme

I find the produce section at the grocery store is a better venue than online sites...grinning

JUST KIDDING!!!

I've noticed that to meet single men, the produce department is not nearly as good as the frozen dinner aisle. Yes, I'm married, but I often stop to get a dinner on my way to work. I see way more men when I'm getting Stouffer's than when I'm getting one of those premade salads.

I've noticed that to meet single men, the produce department is not nearly as good as the frozen dinner aisle. Yes, I'm married, but I often stop to get a dinner on my way to work. I see way more men when I'm getting Stouffer's than when I'm getting one of those premade salads.

Maybe that's why I never meet anyone......... I never buy frozen dinners. I opt for bagged salads and stop to squeeze the melons. :biggrin: