Opener stories anyone?

cmhurley1

Yesterday morning was pretty nice, i was kinda worried about it because of the 15 mph winds that were supposed to blow through, but apparently i had no need for concern.

At 5:30 i was just getting settled into my stand, i had been there for about 2 minutes when i heard one moving through, from the sound of it it was hitting my salt block. So i sit quietly, and all of the sudden this deer just starts snorting at me (I'm assuming it was me)... what a way to start the opener, i was quite discouraged, so this deer takes off, and turns around and comes back in just to snort at me a few more times. Off the deer went.

So I shrug it off and continue my wait, finally- shooting light rolls around.

Now, i hunt on my Grandad's property. He owns a nice 70 acre section of land that i hunt the back of, and neighboring it is a 700+ acre farm that some fellas at the end of the road own/hunt. So its about 15 minutes after shooting light, and i start to hear the 'whirrr' of an engine and see some headlights coming through the woods. I guess I'm gonna have to buy these jokers a new alarm clock or something to get their butts in stand on time, but what I'd really appreciate is if they would not hunt RIGHT on the edge of our property,the engine stops 125 yards from my stand, and the guy gets into his blind... so far, all this morning has brought me is a headache and a bit of distaste towards our neighbors.

The next hour and a half goes by fairly quietly, except for the 4000 tree rats running all over the place. All of the sudden the squirrels just disappear, things get dead quiet, and a slight movement through some thickets catches my eye, off the nail comes the gun. Now I guess the guy that had a bit of trouble getting out on time fell back asleep in his blind or something, because these 2 deer came right from his direction. i take a look through the binoculars and see the first deer is a small spike, and see the second one looks to be a small 8. They were cruising through, and didn't give me much time at all, the spike just kept going and was gone before i knew it, but the 8 point stops to check things out, offering me a very sharply quartered away, 60 yard shot. It was a bit sharp for my liking, but i was wasn't about to pass up the opportunity, i take the shot off hand. Well the deer takes off slowly, tail down but besides this i had no indicator of a hit. He ended up going about 25 yards and bedding down, 5 minutes later he goes belly up.

So i gave him another 15 min. just to be sure, and climbed/fell down, leaving my pack in my stand i was so excited! I walk up on him and find that he was actually a fairly wide 6 point. I also, with much disgust, found i had placed my shot a little far back and had clipped the deers gut. But on opening him up i found that i had also, thankfully, blown his liver away and gotten his right lung. He's nothing to big but he's my best to date, as well as my first morning buck, and I've just been replaying those 60 seconds through my mind ever since!

so yeah, any other bored fellow hunters with a good story feel free to share!

Attachments

• DSC07969.jpg
    DSC07969.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 142

LusbyMom

You're a LOON :)
Congrats on your kill! My hubby killed his first buck yesterday and today my 9 year old son killed a small button buck himself.... the boy is so happy and proud of himself! He does say it looked bigger before he killed it :lol:

Attachments

• Hunting 019.JPG
    Hunting 019.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
Congrats to all, I haven't heard much but I seen my neighbor had a nice 8 pt hanging in his tree yesterday afternoon, said that was all he seen all morning because of the wind

cmhurley1

Congrats on your kill! My hubby killed his first buck yesterday and today my 9 year old son killed a small button buck himself.... the boy is so happy and proud of himself! He does say it looked bigger before he killed it :lol:

Thank you, congrats to your husband and son as well. That's a great shot he put on that deer, mustn't have gone far at all, seems he's a natural.

I hunt a property off Gallant Green Rd. We have a 6 Point to Open rule.

7:45 I had a NICE 6 point come thru. 15 yards from stand, max. He stopped broadside to me. Perfect shot opportunity. Also gave me a chance to look at the body. Nice big rack, skinny neck, slim hind legs. YOUNG buck. I let him walk. He'll be a monster next year.

9:30 had a 4 point basket rack come thru. Young deer. Let it go as per club rules.

4:30 had a nice looking doe down at the creek (100 yards). Shot her. She did the verticle leap, landed, crumpled and did the dirt dance. Climbed down and went to get her. She turned out to be a he. 18 month spike 4 pt. buck, JUST starting to split (3/4" tines). Bad genetics, good to get him out of the herd.

cmhurley1

I hunt a property off Gallant Green Rd. We have a 6 Point to Open rule.

7:45 I had a NICE 6 point come thru. 15 yards from stand, max. He stopped broadside to me. Perfect shot opportunity. Also gave me a chance to look at the body. Nice big rack, skinny neck, slim hind legs. YOUNG buck. I let him walk. He'll be a monster next year.

Sounds like a great hunt, i don't think I could pass up on such an opportunity, I'll never be a real trophy hunter lol, i didn't even consider letting this deer walk, i still wouldn't have if i had known he was a 6, I just kinda saw him and went into auto pilot, congrats on your success!

Last edited:

JoeMac

Here's my opening day story:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzz

It was too windy for me to get up that early. Although it seemed calm for a few minutes right after sunrise. I'll go some evenings this week and connect I'm sure.

LusbyMom

You're a LOON :)
haha touche, i had a blast on my early season bow hunts, but i don't know if I'll ever stick one. their just to sneaky for me

Now my son wants to get a bow... he loves hunting! This morning while he was still sleeping he must have been dreaming about it... he was talking in his sleep about killing the deer... get it kill the deer :lol:

ylexot

Super Genius
Now my son wants to get a bow... he loves hunting! This morning while he was still sleeping he must have been dreaming about it... he was talking in his sleep about killing the deer... get it kill the deer :lol:

I'm thinking of switching to crossbow for hunting. I like regular archery for recreation, but just think that a crossbow would be much simpler/better for hunting...better range, flatter trajectory, can be used easily while sitting, fewer things to screw up with bad technique.

SoMDGirl42

Now I guess the guy that had a bit of trouble getting out on time fell back asleep in his blind or something, because these 2 deer came right from his direction.
Take comfort in the fact that if that guy did fall asleep, he probably pissed his pants if he was only 125 yards away when you shot! :killingme

somdshootnet

JoeMac... I am very disappointed in you !! You copied my story word for word !:killingme

Here's my opening day story:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzz

It was too windy for me to get up that early. Although it seemed calm for a few minutes right after sunrise. I'll go some evenings this week and connect I'm sure.

Sounds like a great hunt, i don't think I could pass up on such an opportunity, I'll never be a real trophy hunter lol, i didn't even consider letting this deer walk, i still wouldn't have if i had known he was a 6, I just kinda saw him and went into auto pilot, congrats on your success!
Finger was on the trigger when I made the "let it walk" decision.

bulldog

haha touche, i had a blast on my early season bow hunts, but i don't know if I'll ever stick one. their just to sneaky for me

Don't give up the bow hunting...you'll get one and when you do the thrill you feel will be over the top.
Yeah, they are sneaky little boogers, but remember the basics: Get in early, use the wind to your advantage and sit still. You can't get away with near the amount of movement while bow hunting...trying to get one inside of 30 yards...as you can get away with gun hunting where you have better range.
Lastly, practice, practice, practice. Climb your tree and shoot your bow just like you were shooting at a deer...hunting clothes and all.
Good luck...you'll get em.

ashliekay711

I went saturday and sunday afternoon, missed a NICE 7 point saturday (rushed the shot, completely missed, and i was pissed)

but sunday afternoon i shot a button buck, pretty small, (this year's fawn) but it lined up for a perfect broadside shot, got it on the right side right in the lungs, ran about 30 yeard to my right and dropped. Like i said he was really tiny, but i honestly didn't care, saturday was the first time i had been hunting by myself, and suday was the first time i killed anything.

Attachments

• 1129091811a.jpg
    1129091811a.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 1129091817a.jpg
    1129091817a.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 1129091812.jpg
    1129091812.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

somdshootnet

I agree don't lose your fight to take a deer with a bow, it took me 5 years before I got the right situation. I finally had my first bow deer when I was 15. My father is a religious bow hunter and to see him with a gun in his hands is a tad bit odd to say the least, I had more than my fair share of bow practice, but, it does not come easy.

Don't give up the bow hunting...you'll get one and when you do the thrill you feel will be over the top.
Yeah, they are sneaky little boogers, but remember the basics: Get in early, use the wind to your advantage and sit still. You can't get away with near the amount of movement while bow hunting...trying to get one inside of 30 yards...as you can get away with gun hunting where you have better range.
Lastly, practice, practice, practice. Climb your tree and shoot your bow just like you were shooting at a deer...hunting clothes and all.
Good luck...you'll get em.