opinions please...

ElliesMom

If a person has an accident while training a horse, is accused of abuse, and tried, not convicted, but fined and will have the charge removed after a probationary period, should they still be allowed to work with horses in the future?
or
work with horses, not training, and under owner supervised situations.
also,
is it acceptable to continually harass this person after the situation has been resolved in court? well over two years ago now. (called three times in one night and verbally abused by the same person)?

Yes the individual still has all of thier own horses, and there have never been anymore "isssues" nor will there ever be becasue the incident in question was a once in a lifetime HORRIBLE ACCIDENT.

I am so mad that some people cant let an accident (granted a horrible accident) go after having been resolved in court over two years ago).

if you know names I dont think this is the place to name them, so please dont. I am just irritated with the situation, would like to vent and get the opinions of people I have come to respect.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What horrible thing did you do?

I do not have horses, I have cats. And if you had had an "accident" with cats in the past, you would never - EVER - get near one of my cats. Ever. Better safe than sorry, I say.

Last edited:

ElliesMom

Not me, I refuse to deal with other peoples animals because of this though.
I never want to be accused of abuse for something accidental.

It basically equates to walking someone elses dog, having the dog pull away and getting hurt because of it, be it by fighting with another dog or hit by a car. Sure, preventable, but the animal was under your supervision, therefor you are liable. Is it abuse (by reason of neglect?), or an accident? and sould the reprecusions of it linger as badly as they have.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Not me, I refuse to deal with other peoples animals because of this though.
I never want to be accused of abuse for something accidental.

It basically equates to walking someone elses dog, having the dog pull away and getting hurt because of it, be it by fighting with another dog or hit by a car. Sure, preventable, but the animal was under your supervision, therefor you are liable. Is it abuse (by reason of neglect?), or an accident? and sould the reprecusions of it linger as badly as they have.

If I knew you and knew you weren't some igtard who didn't know how to deal with animals, I'd chalk it up to an accident and not hold you responsible. Stuff happens.

So what happened? The horse went off and got hurt?

devinej

if they were tried and not convicted, then i'd say yes they should technically be allowed to continue working with horses for pay. however, i would suggest that they do all that they can to pursue education about horse training, and also consider the safety of the facilities they work at so that the accident does not happen again. and i do not think its right to continue harrassing anyone about a past event like that.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
If a person has an accident while training a horse, is accused of abuse, and tried, not convicted, but fined and will have the charge removed after a probationary period,

HUH.. Not conviceted, but fined..

Not Convicted but the charges will be removed after probation??

Doesn't Probation and Fines come with a conviction??

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
I guess it really depends on the situation. Accidents happen and then there are people who do really stupid things that cause accidents. I would have to know the situation and the person. If they were not convicted....well OJ wasn't convicted either :whistle: nevermind. It depends.

ElliesMom

Sometimes horses dont tie well.
tying lessons are dangerous in adult horses who dont trust.
Not earning trust before tying equals a nasty accident.
this is where the he said she said comes in.
The horse got HURT! badly. from paniking. more he said she said.
Abuse allegations were leveled, not by the owner, by other people on site.
Went to trial.
Paid fines equal to the value of basically the basically ruined horse.
(individual was already going to do that regardless of court)
Over two years ago.
My friend still has guilt, is not training anyones elses horses EVER again. Thier chioce.
Is starting a horse related business (going to school for this business) and advertising.
The abuse accuser called three times in one evening threating to basically blackball and badmouth them out of business after finding a business card advertising the new business.
My friend has paid, and is still paying, fo basically an accident, a HORRIBLE one no question. But the intent was never to cause harm.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Well, since we don't know the whole story it's hard to say but, someone who is teaching a young horse how to tie should know how to do so safely. If they do not know that I have to say that I would not want that person working with my horses.

Is this the horse that flipped over and broke it's back? If so, from what I heard of that story (and perhaps you can clear it up because it is possible that I heard a fabrication) it WAS idiocy to such a degree that I would have to agree with an abuse charge.

I don't understand why the accuser would continue to contact the person and threaten them. But, as a fellow horse owner if I believed that a so called trainer was likely to cause harm I'd sure as heck spread the word.

*Just saw that you added that they aren't planing on training. Is it possible for you to tell us what they are planning on doing? Boarding, transporting, breeding, etc. All of those would most likely be a "heck no" in book.

Last edited:

ElliesMom

No, natural hoof stuff, personally I dont understand why they are bothering.

The horse was older, 5-8 with established trouble tying. And no it did not break its back it had temporary sight loss as well as even more trust issues than it had started with.

But there was a lot of back and forth about the method, which was the question of abuse. But the method that was utilized was way old school and trust was not established when a tying "lesson" was intitiated at a second meeting.

I dont personally approve of the method, but the intent to injure simply wasnt present when the horse panicked, and knew from previous experience that pulling super hard got them free. It didnt work and the horse got badly hung up and panicked worse.

covekat

There is also something called Slander, so the accusing party needs to tread carefully. Accidents happen when dealing with 1000 pound animals. Not everyone has the same training methods either. It's up to the animals owner to find out ahead of time what methods will be tried in relation to the horses problems. That is a huge part of being a responsible owner, to interview the trainer at length.

C

campinmutt

There is also something called Slander, so the accusing party needs to tread carefully. Accidents happen when dealing with 1000 pound animals. Not everyone has the same training methods either. It's up to the animals owner to find out ahead of time what methods will be tried in relation to the horses problems. That is a huge part of being a responsible owner, to interview the trainer at length.

I so argree.... when she took the horse to that trainer...was technique ever discussed? did they agree to try that method?I have a friend who took her young horse to a very well known and respected trainer....while the horse was tied it got spooked, pulled back, broke free and flipped over....hitting its head, suffered a brain injury and was later euthanized.....Inscurance paid the owner and then went after trainer.....you have to know who you are leaving your horse with and what they plan on doing with your horse while it is in their care....accidents can still happen

Beta84

They're out to get us
Can't any legal action be taken on the people harassing her? At the very least, some sort of restraining order where they can't call her or be near her? That's not something she should be stuck dealing with.

I've heard accidents happen with horses all the time and people continually are allowed to work with horses after this accidents. They're unpredictable, as can be any animal. If someone wants her to continue to work with their horses then more power to them. If it was settled in court then each person can make their own decision. :shrug:

T

toppick08

Can't any legal action be taken on the people harassing her? At the very least, some sort of restraining order where they can't call her or be near her? That's not something she should be stuck dealing with.

I've heard accidents happen with horses all the time and people continually are allowed to work with horses after this accidents. They're unpredictable, as can be any animal. If someone wants her to continue to work with their horses then more power to them. If it was settled in court then each person can make their own decision. :shrug:

You ever saddle a horse ?........

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I think they're saying they were training the horse to stand tied to something (like a hitching post, cross ties, etc.).

What exactly was done to the horse? What method was used?

If so, I don't understand how that could be dangerous. I would think that a 5 - 8 y/o horse would already be accustomed to being tied to a hitching post.

Cowgirl

If so, I don't understand how that could be dangerous. I would think that a 5 - 8 y/o horse would already be accustomed to being tied to a hitching post.

You'd think. Probably his owners along the way just left him out in a field and didn't mess with him. There are a ton of people who just breed or get horses and don't halter train them even.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
You'd think. Probably his owners along the way just left him out in a field and didn't mess with him. There are a ton of people who just breed or get horses and don't halter train them even.

Thanks. It has been years since I have been around horses on a regular basis and never encountered such a thing.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Abuse allegations were leveled, not by the owner, by other people on site.
Went to trial. Paid fines equal to the value of basically the basically ruined horse.
If it went to trial, they were either aquitted or found guilty.
How are fines leveled if not convicted?