opinions please...

duchess1

Opinion: NEVER NEVER NEVER tie a horse, not any horse. I always use the Aussie Ring by Clinton Anderson. Tying is dangerous for all horses because you can never be prepared for what may happen (spook, etc) Carry on!

Cowgirl

Opinion: NEVER NEVER NEVER tie a horse, not any horse. I always use the Aussie Ring by Clinton Anderson. Tying is dangerous for all horses because you can never be prepared for what may happen (spook, etc) Carry on!

Opinion: I'd never pay $25-$40 for a piece of metal that should only cost $5 or $10. :biggrin: Carry on!

Spicober

So is riding...you NEVER know what can happen LOL...

ElliesMom

If it went to trial, they were either aquitted or found guilty.
How are fines leveled if not convicted?

there are convitions that are 'forgiven' if the act that brought them to court is not repeated.

the way I remember and understand the proceedings I attended were that yes since the horse was in this persons care they are liable, therefore in the wrong, but that the event was in esscence an accident.

If I am wrong, then sorry, but that is how I recall the proceedings.

C

campinmutt

there are convitions that are 'forgiven' if the act that brought them to court is not repeated.

the way I remember and understand the proceedings I attended were that yes since the horse was in this persons care they are liable, therefore in the wrong, but that the event was in esscence an accident.

sounds like they had to pay retrobution (sp?) for loss of use of the horse,because it was in their care ... but not forund guilty of abuse ...????

ElliesMom

sounds like they had to pay retrobution (sp?) for loss of use of the horse,because it was in their care ... but not forund guilty of abuse ...????[/QUOT

This individual still has the horses they owned previous to this mayhem, and yes they paid retrobution for the 'worth' of the injured horse, they planned on doing that anyway, they had planned on paying all vet costs for the accident.

I dont really remember much about that. I just think its nuts that someone is so still stuck on an accident, that is apparently fairly common, that they will go to extreme that the accuser has.

I was also looking for some opinions from the folks here, from the extremely conservative, to the extremely liberal equine folks.

ElliesMom

I was taught to tie using an "emergency release knot" that a horse cannot break free of, but can be pulled out, no matter how tight in an emergency. Teaching a horse that pulling equals an escape cant be a good thing.

Your nifty ring would be nice for a horse that doesnt pull at thier lead when tied. Not everyone is trained that well.

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
If so, I don't understand how that could be dangerous. I would think that a 5 - 8 y/o horse would already be accustomed to being tied to a hitching post.

You never know what a horse is going to do. My handsome buckskin who has never shown a bit of stress with being tied anyplace or time freaked out for no reason and by the time I got back across my stable yard to get him he was already down and hanging. I pulled the quick release tie and after a few shaky moments he got to his feet again with no damage to anything but my saddle. He has never done it since, I have no idea why he flipped out or if he will do it again. Animals do random shyte that can't be predicted and when they are 1300lbs of panicked idiot there often isn't a lot you can do either until they run their course.

fredsaid2

I've seen these before but unless you put a knot in the end of the lead rope wouldn't it slide through the tie blocker if the horse pulled enough?

fredsaid2

sounds like they had to pay retrobution (sp?) for loss of use of the horse,because it was in their care ... but not forund guilty of abuse ...????[/QUOT

This individual still has the horses they owned previous to this mayhem, and yes they paid retrobution for the 'worth' of the injured horse, they planned on doing that anyway, they had planned on paying all vet costs for the accident.

I dont really remember much about that. I just think its nuts that someone is so still stuck on an accident, that is apparently fairly common, that they will go to extreme that the accuser has.

I was also looking for some opinions from the folks here, from the extremely conservative, to the extremely liberal equine folks.

I'd say that since trainers are not regulated by law, this ‘trainer’ can do as they please, i.e. continue to train/not to train - whatever. The 'victim' should cease harassing the 'trainer' directly but should express her opinion to friends and acquaintances and tell of her experience as she see fit. Maybe she needs more time to ‘get over it’ than you. Our attachments to our animals are emotional, it’s not like a car the mechanic messed up on.

Duckz

I like to loop a piece of baling twine around whatever I'm tying to, then tie the lead rope through that. The horse can pull at the rope and it will hold, but if there is an emergency and the horse flips out, the baling twine will break. It will also keep your cross ties, trailer ties, etc. from breaking, thus reducing the need to replace them every time some idiot horse freaks out. Pretty cheap solution too :coffee:

C

campinmutt

I like to loop a piece of baling twine around whatever I'm tying to, then tie the lead rope through that. The horse can pull at the rope and it will hold, but if there is an emergency and the horse flips out, the baling twine will break. It will also keep your cross ties, trailer ties, etc. from breaking, thus reducing the need to replace them every time some idiot horse freaks out. Pretty cheap solution too :coffee:

another great use for bailing twine !!

ElliesMom

I'd say that since trainers are not regulated by law, this ‘trainer’ can do as they please, i.e. continue to train/not to train - whatever. The 'victim' should cease harassing the 'trainer' directly but should express her opinion to friends and acquaintances and tell of her experience as she see fit. Maybe she needs more time to ‘get over it’ than you. Our attachments to our animals are emotional, it’s not like a car the mechanic messed up on.

Thats a great intelligent response!

fredsaid2

Great idea!

devinej

i have used the blocker tie rings before. i kinda like them. depending on how you put the rope through, it lets them pull away easily or slowly, and you can catch the end of the rope before it pulls through. but worth $30? don't know about that. they are just like half of a loose ring bit. i like teaching them not to pull, not a huge fan of things that break, but keep a knife handy.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!

I do that too with the bailing twine. I also like those ties that have velcrow in the middle and have emergency release snaps on the ends. Elam has them at his store.

CountryLady

luvmyponies

Accidents happen! That is why all Trainers should be insured. Any time you provide “care and custody” (boarding or training) of an animal, you are potentially liable and should be insured to CYA.

I have had friend tie their own horse at a trailer, and they left the lead rope long enough for the horse to nibble some grass. The horse got hung up and broke its neck. VERY unfortunate! Walking away from a tied horse has the POTENTIAL of being dangerous no matter the training. But we have all done it at one point. BUT walking away from an UNTRAINED horse or allowing the horse to pull back to the point of injury isn’t the smartest thing to do and the court could still lean to the side of negligence. Still don’t know ALL the circumstances. ABUSE, NO. Negligence, ….Probably.

Every horse is different. The training should be adapted to the individual horse. Not every horse responds the same to the same type of training. Having been dealing with rehab horses with a variety of training levels (mostly lack thereof), and having to deal with training a lot of mature horses to safely tie (that have never been taught to do it safely before). It is hard to imagine how the horse could have gotten that seriously injured with the trainer right there. It is all hind sight now, but If you are training a horse and it panics, I would think it would be in everyone’s best interest to deal with the panic situation first and for most. It is hard to teach (continue a lesson) a horse that is coming unglued. SOMETIMES IT JUST TAKES TIME.

I was taught to tie using an "emergency release knot" that a horse cannot break free of, but can be pulled out, no matter how tight in an emergency. Teaching a horse that pulling equals an escape cant be a good thing.

I am not a big fan of breakaway halters and such for that very reason. It is not a good thing for a horse to learn that if it pulls hard enough that it can get free. But you have to be there to release a quick release knot, or else what’s the point.

This is a very good “pony club” method.

Harassment is wrong!
Slander is wrong!
Your friend should have the right to train, but it sounds like your friend has set new limitations on the abilities they have.

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY!
Trainers should know their limitations, and TRAINERS SHOULD HAVE INSURANCE!
:howdy:

Think about it if you get into a car accident, and it’s your fault, should your driving privileges be revoked?

That is why they call it an accident.
:coffee: