Ordinances

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Oops, I mean the cat got loose again.

That's some serious ninja cat. It up for taking down a black bear or a mountain lion too? They've been reported to be returning closer to urban areas and a couple have had to be taken out recently. :whistle::

bigbob

"Hogfagther"
I moved to MD (Charles County) about a year ago. The home that I'm moving into has deer in the back yard regularly. What is everyone's take on shooting deer, squirrel, rabbit, turkey, etc in a back yard? I'm not sure I personally consider it actually hunting...plus I can't find the ordinance regs about it. I've heard of other people doing it. Thoughts?

You need to take a close look at the covenants for your subdivision !

I'll bet a dollar to a donut that they have a no hunting provision - - - I have deer in my yard all the time, and they are untouchable by law - - -

Check Charles county ordinances too - - - they should be available on line - - -

antwheat

I am the Decider!
You need to take a close look at the covenants for your subdivision !

I'll bet a dollar to a donut that they have a no hunting provision - - - I have deer in my yard all the time, and they are untouchable by law - - -

Check Charles county ordinances too - - - they should be available on line - - -

Thanks bibbob. I will check and do assume as much. I've searched for Charles county ordinances and just can't find them online. That's why I posted this, hoping I could get a link. Again, thanks!

thatguy

Thanks bibbob. I will check and do assume as much. I've searched for Charles county ordinances and just can't find them online. That's why I posted this, hoping I could get a link. Again, thanks!

DNR says you cant hunt within 150 yards of an occupied deweling unless you have permission from the owner.
But as been suggested, your HOA probably has rules against you hunting in the neighborhood.

antwheat

I am the Decider!
DNR says you cant hunt within 150 yards of an occupied deweling unless you have permission from the owner.
But as been suggested, your HOA probably has rules against you hunting in the neighborhood.

Thanks Thatguy. I do see that in the DNR regs (COMAR), but the section that I saw it in was pertaining to public land only and firearms training course. I haven't been able to find anything that specifically discusses this in regards to private land.

bulldog

Thanks Thatguy. I do see that in the DNR regs (COMAR), but the section that I saw it in was pertaining to public land only and firearms training course. I haven't been able to find anything that specifically discusses this in regards to private land.

What makes you say that? Under the general hunting regulations it says it is illegal to..."Hunt, trap or shoot at wildlife within 150 yards of an occupied structure or camp without permission of the owner or occupant. This distance is 50 yards for archery hunters on private land in Frederick County only". This says nothing about public land only and I'm certain that it also applies to private land. With the exception of Frederick County, what applies to a gun applies (non-logically) to a bow.

antwheat

I am the Decider!
What makes you say that? Under the general hunting regulations it says it is illegal to..."Hunt, trap or shoot at wildlife within 150 yards of an occupied structure or camp without permission of the owner or occupant. This distance is 50 yards for archery hunters on private land in Frederick County only". This says nothing about public land only and I'm certain that it also applies to private land. With the exception of Frederick County, what applies to a gun applies (non-logically) to a bow.

The only place I see "150 yards" when I do a search in COMAR for "150 yards" is in section 08.01.07.04 is applies only to "Chesapeake Forest Lands". That's why I say that.

Can you post the section where private lands are discussed? That will clear it up for me. Thanks.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Maryland Department of Natural Resources - General Hunting Regulations: 2010-2011 Guide to Hunting & Trapping in Maryland

The distance is a minimum of 150 yards without permission (except Frederick county archers) statewide. This includes both public and private lands.

To the original question: if you don't live in an HOA that prohibits it, or in LaPlata (municipality) and if your yard/lot is big enough to have the 150 yards from your neighbor, you can take a deer in your yard. If you have neighbors outside the 150 but still fairly close I'd use a bow.

bulldog

Maryland Department of Natural Resources - General Hunting Regulations: 2010-2011 Guide to Hunting & Trapping in Maryland

The distance is a minimum of 150 yards without permission (except Frederick county archers) statewide. This includes both public and private lands.

To the original question: if you don't live in an HOA that prohibits it, or in LaPlata (municipality) and if your yard/lot is big enough to have the 150 yards from your neighbor, you can take a deer in your yard. If you have neighbors outside the 150 but still fairly close I'd use a bow.

Just hope that after you shoot it, it does not run into your neighbor's yard to die. Depending on their view and your relationship with them, going to recover that deer would be considered trespassing.

antwheat

I am the Decider!
So, what is your decision?

Are you going to shoot deer in your back yard or not?

No sir. I think it would just be pushing the envelope. I'll stick to Myrtle Grove again this year. I saw several out there last year. I was kinda on the fence about it anyway, cause I'm not sure that I could really call it hunting. I wanted to hear other people's opinion and find out what the regs/ordinances said about it.