Pain at back of heel

laynpipe

I woke up with pain on the back of my left ankle. Hurts so bad I'm walking with a strong limp. It's about 1 inch up from the heel where the achilles tendon is. Was fine when I went to bed. I get this from time to time with no discernable pattern.

How long do I have to live?

Hopefully you've croaked already.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
Google has diagnosed me with this; "plantar fasciitis".
Probably not PF. I had that in 1995 and it isn't a heel pain but an arch pain.

I also just finished seeing a foot doctor for the last 2 months for exactly what you've described but he can't fix it. He gave me foot stretching exercises to do, a cordizone shot, shoe inserts and pills and it still hurts! X-rays said no heel spurs either.

Mine is off and on also; the longer I stay on my feet, the more it hurts. Sometimes when I sit or lay down it hurts and sometimes it doesn't bother me at all. His final suggestion: take some Advil or Tylenol if it continues to hurt. I'm going to get some tomorrow. Guess we're getting old...

Nanny Pam

I woke up with pain on the back of my left ankle. Hurts so bad I'm walking with a strong limp. It's about 1 inch up from the heel where the achilles tendon is. Was fine when I went to bed. I get this from time to time with no discernable pattern.

If I were you, I'd PM that JP numbers whatever person.

:lmao:

Pete

Repete
:lmao:

Google has diagnosed me with this; "plantar fasciitis".

I had that once. It is more in the bottom of the foot when you first get up in the morning. Hurts like hell until you walk on it a while and stretch the ligament that runs from the heel, through the arch to the ball of your foot.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
A girl I work with has something similar. They are telling her possible stress fracture. She has to get a MRI. She is a runner and went from 5k's to half marathons too fast. She's pissed. She's a total gym rat and can't stand not being able to use the treadmill.

musiclady

Sounds like a heel spur to me. Get better shoes and/or orthotics inserts. Even with all that, I still had problems. I just bought those Avi Motion exercise rocker shoes and, it miraculously doesn't hurt anymore. Seems that I put too much pressure on my heels and this shoe makes me stand differently so it eases the pressure. Good luck, it's all trial and error.

Pete

Repete
Sounds like a heel spur to me. Get better shoes and/or orthotics inserts. Even with all that, I still had problems. I just bought those Avi Motion exercise rocker shoes and, it miraculously doesn't hurt anymore. Seems that I put too much pressure on my heels and this shoe makes me stand differently so it eases the pressure. Good luck, it's all trial and error.

:yeahthat: and if you don't want to do all that I have a new bench grinder that would take that spur right off.

Last edited:
T

toppick08

Probably a spur.....'cause if you fractured it..it would be swollen to the size of a football....trust me...hope it gets better.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
I got some Advil today and took 2 this morning and the pain is gone. I was on my feet all day and there was no pain. It started to come back about 6pm so I took one more and it went away. I'd try that before you waste time and money on a foot doctor like I did...

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Not a heel spur. The pain is not on the heel or arch, it's on the back of my ankle about 1.5 inches above the heel. Pain is gone already.

Pretty sure it was PF because I read to stretch it and wear good support shoes. I kept my work boots on vs. changing to tenne's after work and wa la, almost back to normal within 2 days.

JLS

Ok. Since I seem to falling apart these days (physically).. pain in left heel.. just started - started last week (i've been walking with the better weather and alot more at work as well) and my work shoes hurt - the only thing that feels alittle better is tennis shoes - but in the morning when I first get up - it hurts for a second.. but after standing on it for a while - getting ready for work it tends to feel alittle better.. spur?

lovinmaryland

Ok. Since I seem to falling apart these days (physically).. pain in left heel.. just started - started last week (i've been walking with the better weather and alot more at work as well) and my work shoes hurt - the only thing that feels alittle better is tennis shoes - but in the morning when I first get up - it hurts for a second.. but after standing on it for a while - getting ready for work it tends to feel alittle better.. spur?

Yes :yay:

I have been dealing with one for almost a year :bawl:

The thing that has helped me most is a cortisone injection, OMG so nice!

JLS

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF............... not good.. does the pain ever just go away?? I heard those shots hurt.. I don't like needles anyway either.. but I also don't want my body adjusting itself to not feel the pain on my foot and mess up my bad back.. Its like my whole circle of my heel is hurting.. up toward my arch too...ugh.. as much as we travel to places where we walk everywhere and we got Disney coming up next year.. ugh..

Yes :yay:

I have been dealing with one for almost a year :bawl:

The thing that has helped me most is a cortisone injection, OMG so nice!

lovinmaryland

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF............... not good.. does the pain ever just go away?? I heard those shots hurt.. I don't like needles anyway either.. but I also don't want my body adjusting itself to not feel the pain on my foot and mess up my bad back.. Its like my whole circle of my heel is hurting.. up toward my arch too...ugh.. as much as we travel to places where we walk everywhere and we got Disney coming up next year.. ugh..
I thought it would go away also and it didnt. It actually got worse. I know have tendenitis (sp) and ankle issues because of me walking differently on the heel.

I am scared to death of needles and it hurt like HELL!!! But I had no pain for a good month or so. IMO Worth it :yay:

JLS

Well - I laid off my feet as much as possible yesterday and last night and wearing my tennis shoes again to work.. didn't hurt too bad this morning getting up.. and taking it easy today as much as I can.. hopefully it'll keep getting alittle better.. ugh...

I thought it would go away also and it didnt. It actually got worse. I know have tendenitis (sp) and ankle issues because of me walking differently on the heel.

I am scared to death of needles and it hurt like HELL!!! But I had no pain for a good month or so. IMO Worth it :yay: