Pandas...

Hessian

I am utterly baffled.
Why are the Pandas such a hot commodity?
Why would people line up for hours to glimpse a lazy overgrown skunk?
Why does the US government pitch out $10,000,000 per fuzzball to a communist country?

I just simply don't understand this panda worship...front page of WP...top story on network news. This is just plain sad.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Hessian said:
I am utterly baffled.
Why does the US government pitch out $10,000,000 per fuzzball to a communist country?

I just simply don't understand this panda worship...front page of WP...top story on network news. This is just plain sad.

Because they're cute, and we need a little more "cute" in the world.

StarCat

Hessian said:
I am utterly baffled.

because they are endangered.

Hessian

I suspect...

it is easy news.

You don't have to go far,...pay travel & lodging.
You don't need to put people at risk.
There is no "angle" to the story.
Thus,...our lazy media runs it day after day.

To actually send someone to "The People's Republic" and report on how "endangered" they really are...or find out how the Chicoms spent our $$, or investigate where in our budget we found the $$ to pay for them.-this would take too much work.

Its a lot easier to interview a 6 year old...
"What did you like about the Panda visit today???"
ugh.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Maybe it's because they are so few of them, estimated at only 1600 living in the wild. If there were as many of them as there are cats and dogs they probably wouldn't be considered as anything spectacular or interesting at all.

I will agree that $10 million is a lot to rent one, but like anything else that is in short supply it's going to cost you.

tomchamp

Ken King said:
Maybe it's because they are so few of them, estimated at only 1600 living in the wild. If there were as many of them as there are cats and dogs they probably wouldn't be considered as anything spectacular or interesting at all.

I will agree that $10 million is a lot to rent one, but like anything else that is in short supply it's going to cost you.

You can't compare them to cats and dogs...they are not pets at all...who would want a Panda..living in their house? They are cute when they are young, but I'll bet you would not want to be around one when they are pissed. They are not domesticated...that would be like trying to make a Polar Bear a pet...

StarCat

tomchamp said:
You can't compare them to cats and dogs...they are not pets at all...who would want a Panda..living in their house? They are cute when they are young, but I'll bet you would not want to be around one when they are pissed. They are not domesticated...that would be like trying to make a Polar Bear a pet...
did you know, they arent soft either? They have REALLY coarse hair. I never knew that. I always thought they would be all soft and cuddly, but they are really kinda funky.

tomchamp

StarCat said:
did you know, they arent soft either? They have REALLY coarse hair. I never knew that. I always thought they would be all soft and cuddly, but they are really kinda funky.

Just like a Polar Bear isn't really white..well their fur is clear and the skin is black. Makes them look white, but it's just a solar panel!

StarCat

i think the lil thing is awful cute. I wouldnt pay umpteen hundred dollars to see him, but i did buy a big picture of him while i was at the zoo :lol:

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
StarCat said:
:yeahthat: but I still want to hug them.

My aunt doesn't remember this-but she is so infatuated with them that years ago I make her one of black & white bows. remember when the 'bow maker' came out, and gave you directions etc..to make differemt things.......... well that's how old I am........ But I have pictures of the panda made of bows to prove I really made it for her. I think it was her birthday or something. Her name is Florence, but she is still "Aunt Flippy" to us. She is a real fun nutcase.....

ahhhhhh the good ol' days.......