Paso, need dog vaccine advice

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
luvscats said:
the links you provided for dogs are wonderful. got any links re vaccines for cats. Am interested in doing vaccinations at home. My cats do go to vet for teeth cleanings and exams but I could save a bundle on vaccinations. Thanks :confused:

Where do you live? You can buy your own vaccines locally for under $5

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Dont know anyone up that way..Is there a Southern States up that way? Also Giant used to carry vaccines not sure if they still do..

luvscats

I don't know of a Southern States in the immediate area but I hear that a local feed/animal supply store called Hatchers carries vaccines, and Ihear that Whitesell Pharmacy in Lusby sells vaccines also. I'm just a bit reluctant to purchase the vaccines until I get a chance to read up on what to buy.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
luvscats said:
I don't know of a Southern States in the immediate area but I hear that a local feed/animal supply store called Hatchers carries vaccines, and Ihear that Whitesell Pharmacy in Lusby sells vaccines also. I'm just a bit reluctant to purchase the vaccines until I get a chance to read up on what to buy.

They should be able to help you where you buy...not a ton of choices on dog/ cat vaccines...equine has aot to choose from and you need to be knowledgeable..

CRoyal

Infinite Impetus
Mousebaby said:
I am looking to buy the distemper vaccine for my dogs. Thing is I'm not real sure what I need to buy. What I am looking at is at Dr.s Foster and Smith, its called "Prevent/Vac Canine Coronavirus KV" is this what I need to buy? Or do you have another suggestion? :popcorn:

Corona is not DHLPP (or sometimes now DAP, which removes some of the parts of the vax that can trip up some dogs and is current for 3 years instead of only 1)... and there are other vaccines aside from the Distemper vaccine that your pet should have. DHLPP is a combo vax that includes Distemper, Hepatitis, Lepto., Parvo and Parainfluenza. (big nasty viruses) If this is your dogs first round of the DHLPP vac, be aware that it is a series and the series must be completed for the vaccine to be completely effective.. If your dogs spend time outside they should have the lyme vaccine.. Frontline or not. If they ever come in contact with other dogs they should also have the bordetella vax. . and there are others as well. Corona doesnt really need to be given after the dog is a year or so old.

I agree that there is a lot of over-vaccinating going on and after a few years, yes, most vaccines are still effective... but not all of them, and not 100%. Then again no vaccine is ever 100%. It is a bit of controversial issue in the pet health community and I have yet to find a vet that will reccomend that a pet go without his or her annual vaccines.

I also firmly agree that even though you maybe saving money by doing your own vaccines your pets must still see the vet annualy for a routine health exam. I cannot stress how important it is for your dogs to see the vet, they can catch things that would never ever pick up on.

Don't forget that the Rabies vaccine is mandated by the state and can only be admin by your vet.

I guess my conclusion is that since you have to go to the vet for an exam and a rabies vaccine, among with others, you might as well have your vet admin the dhlpp.. it is not the actual vaccine that is expensive, it is the office visit (whic varies greatly by hospital) and the vet exam..

Gluck!!

W

WhoCares

The one vaccine that has to be done is the rabies. There has been positive rabies in the county so don't skimp on that. There are rabies clinics around the county if going to the vet for the expense is a problem.

MorganLover

CRoyal said:
Corona is not DHLPP (or sometimes now DAP, which removes some of the parts of the vax that can trip up some dogs and is current for 3 years instead of only 1)... and there are other vaccines aside from the Distemper vaccine that your pet should have. DHLPP is a combo vax that includes Distemper, Hepatitis, Lepto., Parvo and Parainfluenza. (big nasty viruses) If this is your dogs first round of the DHLPP vac, be aware that it is a series and the series must be completed for the vaccine to be completely effective.. If your dogs spend time outside they should have the lyme vaccine.. Frontline or not. If they ever come in contact with other dogs they should also have the bordetella vax. . and there are others as well. Corona doesnt really need to be given after the dog is a year or so old.

In regards to the Lept You need to know how your breed reacts to Lepto. Some dogs, Shelties, collies and some others have SERIOUS reactions to Lepto and should not get vaccinated with it. Those breeds also tend to have bad reactions to ear might treatment. So make sure your breed can tolerate the vaccinations and what is in them. As well as live and killed virus's in the vaccinations themselves. Just FYI

MorganLover said:
CRoyal said:

In regards to the Lept You need to know how your breed reacts to Lepto. Some dogs, Shelties, collies and some others have SERIOUS reactions to Lepto and should not get vaccinated with it. Those breeds also tend to have bad reactions to ear might treatment. So make sure your breed can tolerate the vaccinations and what is in them. As well as live and killed virus's in the vaccinations themselves. Just FYI

how can you find out? I'm trying to find out if schnauzers are known to have any reactions with vaccines and I'm having little luck.

CableChick said:
MorganLover said:
how can you find out? I'm trying to find out if schnauzers are known to have any reactions with vaccines and I'm having little luck.
I did all the standard vaccines with mine for the first few years. Now that her immune system is built up, I have her titered and Lymes and rabies are the only two that are given religiously.

IMO, you can't skimp on the shots as a pup especially since you are exposing him to classes and most definitely if you know you will be boarding him at times or taking him to dog parks.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
kwillia said:
CableChick said:
I did all the standard vaccines with mine for the first few years. Now that her immune system is built up, I have her titered and Lymes and rabies are the only two that are given religiously.

IMO, you can't skimp on the shots as a pup especially since you are exposing him to classes and most definitely if you know you will be boarding him at times or taking him to dog parks.

They need the puppy shots, just as a child needs their kiddy shots.

Lyme vaccine is not 100% effective and while I gave Lyme shots until a few years ago, I've had two dogs develop erlichia. So, I don't do the Lyme shots either.

cattitude said:
kwillia said:
They need the puppy shots, just as a child needs their kiddy shots.

Lyme vaccine is not 100% effective and while I gave Lyme shots until a few years ago, I've had two dogs develop erlichia. So, I don't do the Lyme shots either.

What is the correlation between lyme shots and the erhlichia?