Pat Robertson suggested on-air that American operatives assassinate Venezuelan Pres

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I hope he...

...starts doing a live prayer;

"Dear Lord, if it be thy will, please have one of our wet boys zap that bastard right between the eyes and send his soul to you, posthaste, for further disposition...Amen"

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Robertson again puts his Size 11 Florschiems in his mouth. This is the same guy who endorsed Jerry Falwell's irresponsible "You made this happen" comment after 9/11.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...2/103-4706896-9753467?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance

Students of history will find the book rife with errors. John Adams-who was in London when the Constitution was drafted and first read its provisions weeks after the framers had completed their task-is credited as that document's "chief architect." And in a section on the "Jewish backlash" to anti-Semitism, Robertson suggests that both the Anti-Defamation League and the American Jewish Congress were created after the Holocaust, their founders having decided that "the future safety of American Jews would exist only if secularism replaced Christianity in the public arena." (The organizations date to 1913 and 1918, respectively.)

tirdun

staring into the abyss
Robertson has also :
- 2001: calimed the Sept 11 attacks were a result of homosexuality and atheism
- 2003: claimed that feminism causes women to kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians
- 2004: prayed for the death of a liberal Supreme Court Justice

There's more, but I think that's a good pattern indicator.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
"We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability," Robertson said Monday on the Christian Broadcast Network's "The 700 Club."

"We don't need another $200 billion war to get rid of one, you know, strong-arm dictator," he continued. "It's a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with."

"You know, I don't know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it," Robertson said. "It's a whole lot cheaper than starting a war ... and I don't think any oil shipments will stop."

I'm not impressed. The title of the article made it sound like Robertson was running around with a pitchfork going, "Kill Chavez!! Kill Chavez!" which would have been more interesting.

Qpid

he only said it cuz Chavez said he thought US was gonna kill him anyway.... :lol:

the comments still should have not been made.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
vraiblonde said:
I'm not impressed. The title of the article made it sound like Robertson was running around with a pitchfork going, "Kill Chavez!! Kill Chavez!" which would have been more interesting.
That's a good point. It's a problem with many headlines, because the format doesn't allow nuance of fact. From the story, I think it's obvious that Robertson wasn't a raving madman, but he did cross a line. That's not an easy thing to describe in a single sentence.

SamSpade

tirdun said:
Robertson has also :
- 2003: claimed that feminism causes women to kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians

Didn't he claim that his praying diverted Hurricane Gloria *away* from harming Viginia Beach?

(And thereby GIVING it, to us, in New England?)

What a nitwit. He's always been embarassing to conservatives.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
SamSpade said:
What a nitwit. He's always been embarassing to conservatives.
I agree. When he talks about conspiracies by secularists to destroy Christianity, he sounds just like the Al Sharptons who see racist conspiracies everywhere.

Triggerfish

tirdun said:
Robertson has also :

Also that only Jews and Christians should be in the government.
That the state dept should be nuked.
Christians should get mad and take back the country.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
May I ask why we care what Pat Robertson says or thinks? He's a minor-league televangelist, not a person of any authority. There are lots of nuts in the world and I think my "un-ban me right now" penpal is more interesting than Pat Robertson.

The only reason this guy gets press is because the news people like to hold him up as an example of a conservative Republican.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
vraiblonde said:
May I ask why we care what Pat Robertson says or thinks? He's a minor-league televangelist, not a person of any authority.
I always had the impression that he was in the "majors" like Falwell and Dobson. My personal opinion is that the fundamentalist televangelists help make the extremism of Dominionism palatable to mainstream Christians. They do this by falsely claiming that all of Christianity is under assault by non-believers. As I said earlier, that's just like Al Sharpton scaring blacks by falsely claiming that "The Man" is trying to keep them down.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Nobody should listen to Falwell, Sharpton, Robertson, or Jackson. They have a knack for talking about things they know nothing about under the guise of preaching or representing Christians.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Tonio said:
As I said earlier, that's just like Al Sharpton scaring blacks by falsely claiming that "The Man" is trying to keep them down.
The difference is that Al Sharpton's loony ideas are treated with respect and given credence in the MSM. Pat Robertson is treated with disdain, which is as it should be.

Hillary Clinton met with Al Sharpton and kissed his ring during her Senate run. Most politicians pandering for the black vote do. No Republican that I'm aware of meets with Robertson to get his blessing on behalf of Christians.

John Kerry and Al Gore both cared whether Sharpton endorsed them or not. No Republican cares about Robertson's endorsement.

Am I getting my point across? I just woke up and my brain isn't functioning yet :yawn:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
vraiblonde said:
Hillary Clinton met with Al Sharpton and kissed his ring during her Senate run.
Puke! I remember Sharpton's behavior during the Tawana Brawnley fiasco. I think it's disgusting that he claims to speak for blacks and that so many white Democrats believe that claim.

Maybe not Robertson specifically, but would you agree that the fundamentalist movement in general has a lot of influence in the GOP?

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Tonio said:
Puke! I remember Sharpton's behavior during the Tawana Brawnley fiasco. I think it's disgusting that he claims to speak for blacks and that so many white Democrats believe that claim.

Maybe not Robertson specifically, but would you agree that the fundamentalist movement in general has a lot of influence in the GOP?
Yes, I think so - at least, I hope so. That's a big reason why I'm a Republican and a life member of the RNC.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Railroad said:
Yes, I think so - at least, I hope so. That's a big reason why I'm a Republican and a life member of the RNC.
See, and I don't, simply because I'm not a religious person. I could certainly be wrong but, from my perspective, I don't think the fundies have a lot of pull in politics at all just because there aren't a whole lot of them. While most Americans believe in God, very few of them describe themselves as "fundamentalists" or "evangelicals".

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
vraiblonde said:
See, and I don't, simply because I'm not a religious person. I could certainly be wrong but, from my perspective, I don't think the fundies have a lot of pull in politics at all just because there aren't a whole lot of them. While most Americans believe in God, very few of them describe themselves as "fundamentalists" or "evangelicals".
I don't describe myself as a "fundie" or an evangelical, either, but I figure most non-Christians lump the more conservative Christians together under one umbrella, so I put myself in that category for purposes of this discussion.

The Republican Party and Christians have a lot in common - morality and commonsense are a couple of examples. Perhaps that better describes the relationship between the two organizations as I see them.