Patriots/Chargers

Otter

Nothing to see here
BTW: Pats or Dolphins? I was thinking about it earlier; The Dolphins still get my vote; they did most of it with their #2 QB. Does anyone think the Pats are undefeated sans Brady? I don't think so.

I can't say, no one can IMHO. Different eras, different rules. Dolphins, no cap, no HUGE salaries, if a owner wanted to spend money on quality backups, he could(as Cooke did for the Skins in the 80s). Dolphins had 3 quality RBs, great receivers, an old pro in the backup QB spot, Morrall probably would have been a starter on a dozen teams or so in the era, wasn't his fault that he backed up Unitas most of his career.

Patriots, for this era, are far more dominant than any team I've seen. 3 Super bowls, having to deal with the cap, having to deal with guys that get the golden parachute with other teams just because they played on a SB winning team. I'm in the tank for the Pats just cuz of the 'cheating' thing, want them to run the table. They did no different than any team out there and paid a huge price for getting caught, I love the payback they are getting on the NFL teams.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
See the Bears...

I can't say, no one can IMHO. Different eras, different rules. Dolphins, no cap, no HUGE salaries, if a owner wanted to spend money on quality backups, he could(as Cooke did for the Skins in the 80s). Dolphins had 3 quality RBs, great receivers, an old pro in the backup QB spot, Morrall probably would have been a starter on a dozen teams or so in the era, wasn't his fault that he backed up Unitas most of his career.

Patriots, for this era, are far more dominant than any team I've seen. 3 Super bowls, having to deal with the cap, having to deal with guys that get the golden parachute with other teams just because they played on a SB winning team. I'm in the tank for the Pats just cuz of the 'cheating' thing, want them to run the table. They did no different than any team out there and paid a huge price for getting caught, I love the payback they are getting on the NFL teams.

...are still the most dominant team I've ever seen. Even though they lost one they just owned everybody and had one off night. These Pats, they did not own the Giants or Colts or Eagles or Ravens. They didn't even dominate the Jags or Chargers. They just make play after play after play.

RangerJohn

Unfortunately the Patriots have the aura of invincibility. My Chargers beat the point spread at least, and made it a competitive game. This was despite having a peg-legged QB, their star RB on the bench with a bum knee, and Gates gimping along with a dis-located toe (he not only dislocated it...he can't even find it!)

No they couldn't get into the end zone, and lost the game. But damn they gritted their teeth and gave the Patriots a battle. Intercepting Brady 3 times; Rivers nutting up and playing well despite two bum knees (left MCL, right ACL), and damned if Norv hasn't learned to be a leader.

I had my doubts about firing Schottenheimer, I had even more about Norv...and back in October....I was ranting "PLAYOFFS???!!!" like I was Jim Mora.....but they sucked it up and made an impressive run, knocking off the defending Suiper Bowl champs when no thought they had a chance. Good season...now when to pitchers and catchers report?.....oh yeah...in 25 days!

GO PADRES!

tomchamp

Unfortunately the Patriots have the aura of invincibility. My Chargers beat the point spread at least, and made it a competitive game. This was despite having a peg-legged QB, their star RB on the bench with a bum knee, and Gates gimping along with a dis-located toe (he not only dislocated it...he can't even find it!)

No they couldn't get into the end zone, and lost the game. But damn they gritted their teeth and gave the Patriots a battle. Intercepting Brady 3 times; Rivers nutting up and playing well despite two bum knees (left MCL, right ACL), and damned if Norv hasn't learned to be a leader.

I had my doubts about firing Schottenheimer, I had even more about Norv...and back in October....I was ranting "PLAYOFFS???!!!" like I was Jim Mora.....but they sucked it up and made an impressive run, knocking off the defending Suiper Bowl champs when no thought they had a chance. Good season...now when to pitchers and catchers report?.....oh yeah...in 25 days!

GO PADRES!

I know how you feel.. I Have Battered Bills Syndrome.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08

GO PADRES!

Have I told you lately that I love you? :huggy:

RangerJohn

Have I told you lately that I love you? :huggy:

I'm just a poor SoCal boy in exile! I get home 3-4 times a year for a Chargers Game, some Padres, and OTL. Still belong to OMBAC after all these years (Old Mission Beach Athletic Club...or sometimes Old Men Behaving As Children....take you pick!)

Attachments

• SD Card Clean up 081.jpg
    SD Card Clean up 081.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 26

donbarzini

...are still the most dominant team I've ever seen. Even though they lost one they just owned everybody and had one off night. These Pats, they did not own the Giants or Colts or Eagles or Ravens. They didn't even dominate the Jags or Chargers. They just make play after play after play.

But Ditka himself, when asked on ESPN, said that the Pats would have "killed us".

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'll...

But Ditka himself, when asked on ESPN, said that the Pats would have "killed us".

...have to take his word for it.

However;

DEFENSE;

Dent, McMicheal, Hampton, Perry; I see pressure on the qb and run stuffers plus speed to get to the edge

Marshall, Singletary, Wilson; I see speed and hitting, violent hitting.

With Duerson and Fencik, I see smarts and the ability to make plays.

OFFENSE;

Without listing them, I see an damn good O line and, let's see, what's his name? Oh yeah, Walter Payton.

With Gault and McKinnon there's some speed to stretch the D.

And McMahon was enough of a gunslinger to put pressure on the D as to just what he's up to.

Obviously, comparing teams from different generations is speculation at best, but, everyone that got pressure on Brady, beat up on Moss and hit hard for 60 minutes put them on the ropes. I just see the Bears knocking Brady on his azz all day, the linebackers blowing people up and the WR's becoming frustrated.

On the other side, you're just no containing Payton all day AND shutting down the pass.

In Superbowl 26 the Redskins just beat up, all day, an incredibly potent offense full of star players. That's what I see the Bears doing; just physically beating up the Patriots.

donbarzini

But the "supplements" in this era are much better, as are the masking agents; than they were in that era. Therefore, while Da'Bears were the "bully" in their time, I would be willing to bet that the comparative sizes would leave them sorely wanting.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Right...

But the "supplements" in this era are much better, as are the masking agents; than they were in that era. Therefore, while Da'Bears were the "bully" in their time, I would be willing to bet that the comparative sizes would leave them sorely wanting.

...but I don't think of these type questions in a literal time capsule/transport them exactly as they were to play those guys exactly as they were. I look at it from the individual players mind set and attitude.

If Wilbur Marshall were playing today, I think he would be one of the most explosive, athletic linebackers in the game. I think Dent would be a dominant d end. I think Singletary would be a perennial pro bowler and so forth.

I mean, the Cardinals of today would destroy the '85 Bears in a time capsule game for the very reasons you suggest; Today's O lines would just push the time capsule 85 Bears all over the field and the Cardinals d line would do the same to the Bears O line.

All an athlete or a team can be is the best in their day; for a game, a season, several years. I just think the collection of great players the Bears had, which as otter pointed out in the Dolphin/Pats question, would in and of itself be impossible with today's free agency and all, would beat today's Pats if all else was equal.