Paw Paws are dropping!

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Never knew they were edible.

Used to see those things everywhere.

If I ever take up deer hunting again, I'll have to plant them around the place.

Hannibal

I didn't realize they were around here to be honest (never really looked for them either). Have family property in Paw Paw, WV and that is quite a big thing out there. Never ate one but they were great for target practice when sighting in the rifles in prep for deer season.

softtouch

If you see Zebra Swallowtails there are Paw Paw trees in the area.

Attachments

• zebra_swallowtail_2019-8-9_loess_bluffs_nwr.jpg
    zebra_swallowtail_2019-8-9_loess_bluffs_nwr.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 175

Hessian

If anyone would like to part with some seeds I would love to try and grow them !
I have 10 seeds out of my first snack---you are welcome to them. (Got some cool history behind them too---the sapling they came from was a seed I harvested from General Smallwood's home over in Charles County!)

Hessian

Banana-Apricot flavor...lousy shelf life. Can be put in pudding, breads, smoothies. yogurt and even beer. BIG seeds.

frequentflier

happy to be living
If you see Zebra Swallowtails there are Paw Paw trees in the area.
My (almost) two acres is being converted into a pollinator sanctuary. Even though I only recently started, there a lots of butterflies and caterpillars. I have a holding area next to my garage with a couple dozen natives ready to plant once the weather breaks.

NextJen

Raisin cane
Checked my trees, lots of fruit on them. A few dried up fruits were on the ground. I picked them up, so if anyone near the Dunkirk area wanted seeds, PM me.

Erk

There are several spots along the trails in Greenwell state park that have clumps of them. I normally score a dozen or so.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

There just might be a reason these haven't been cultivated to the extent they aren't at grocery stores, as it seems the Pawpaw fruit contains a potent neurotoxin called annonacin that causes Parkinson’s disease and many other neurological conditions.

From the American Chemical Society, "Pawpaw fruit was reported to contain the known neurotoxin, annonacin, at a concentration of about 30 μg/mL."

From an NIH abstract in 2009, "An assessment of the potential human health risk of overconsumption of fruit and acetogenin bioavailability and degradation studies should be pursued."