PCB has incredible music festivals

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The problem is that they're expensive :yikes:

And you have to buy the whole weekend, you can't get a day pass. This poses a problem for locals who, you know, work or can't block out a whole weekend for fun. They're meant for tourism and people come from all over the world to party down on the Beach. It's not as famous as Coachella or SXSW but I understand it to be heading in that direction.

Also they don't give you times and dates for the performers. So like if I wanted to see Brad Paisley I'd have to pay my big ass ticket price and either get lucky or camp out the whole three days because there's no telling when exactly he will take the stage.

Anyway, there's something major happening almost every month. The good news is that it's about 5 miles (and a world) down the strip from us so we'd only become impacted by it if we wanted to. We live our lives mostly on the east side of the city, and the big action is on the west side. Even the tourists on this side are older and more mellow than the beach kiddies. We have two Publix that are the same 4 mile distance away from us, but one is east and maybe a 10 minute drive, and the other is to the west and can take a half hour to get to.

So if you wanted to come down for a festival weekend what you'd do is stay at one of the Front Beach hotels, close to the action, and rent a scooter or golf cart to get around. You'd be in walking distance to a number of restaurants, bars, and shops, and a shuttle will take you to the park where the concerts are. The independent C-stores sell frozen margaritas and daiquiris to go, so you stop and get a drink to enjoy while you cruise the strip (don't cause a problem and the cops won't bother you).

If you wanted to come down and laze around on the beach, you'd check the event calendar and pick a week when there's nothing major going on and it's not at the height of tourist season. April and May are good, as are October and early November. I think May is Bike Week but those folks aren't so interested in the beaches, they're doing biker things and if you stay on the east side you won't see them hardly at all.

Only a few tourists are smart enough to stay on the east side (where we are) and hit the beach at St. Andrews State Park. We discovered this before we were locals so we knew the skinny before we made any decisions.

I do love living in a resort town. It's hectic and crowded if you want it to be, but it doesn't have to be if you know what you're doing. There is ALWAYS something to do and you would have to eat every meal in a restaurant for a year to hit each one of them.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Here's what I find interesting about this area. There is an uninhabited island less than a mile from the tip of this island. It has no amenities. Nothing. Not even a portapotty.

Yet every day there are multiple shuttle boats that ferry people over there for the day. When I'm near the marinas, I see them coming back from their day at Shell Island. They are loaded down with wagons that have all sort of coolers, umbrellas, chairs and fishing gear. Families go there for the day to dig for shells and play in the water.

The shuttles run every half hour from 9am to 4pm. An adult ticket is $22 and kids are $15. We'll have to take a ride over at least once to say we did it. Who knows, it could turn out to be something really enjoyable. No doubt based on the number of people going over and back, it's quite popular. Surprising since the local beaches are awesome and there's no fee to go to the beach here.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Who knows, it could turn out to be something really enjoyable. No doubt based on the number of people going over and back, it's quite popular.

Tourists do all kinds of dumb things that aren't fun.

Walking the beach picking up shells.
BOring.

Birdwatching.
AYFKMRN??

Take innumerable pictures of trees and pinecones.
:eyebrow:

And the #1 dumb thing tourists do?

Eat at the same crappy chains they can get back home.

:drummer:

lucky_bee

RBF expert
And the #1 dumb thing tourists do?

Eat at the same crappy chains they can get back home.

:drummer:
I'd rather starve then visit another area and eat at a chain restaurant I can eat at back home.

I recently had to go to out of state with Liberty for all of 24 hours and we made sure to eat any possible meal and snack from local places only. We definitely ate a lot but every crumb and calorie was worth it :burp:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'd rather starve then visit another area and eat at a chain restaurant I can eat at back home.

I recently had to go to out of state with Liberty for all of 24 hours and we made sure to eat any possible meal and snack from local places only. We definitely ate a lot but every crumb and calorie was worth it :burp:

There is an Olive Garden in Times Square. That never fails to piss me off.

Yeah, can't wait to hit the Big Apple...and eat at Olive Garden. :burning:

lucky_bee

RBF expert
There is an Olive Garden in Times Square. That never fails to piss me off.

Yeah, can't wait to hit the Big Apple...and eat at Olive Garden. :burning:
Dont get me started 🤬

Listen, our first meal was as Zaxby's but it's fried chicken and we don't have one, and we needed a fast meal and why not the amazing chicken at Zaxby's 😂 this was later rectified by eating proper fried chicken and waffles at a local favorite the next day though 😂

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Dont get me started 🤬

Listen, our first meal was as Zaxby's but it's fried chicken and we don't have one, and we needed a fast meal and why not the amazing chicken at Zaxby's 😂 this was later rectified by eating proper fried chicken and waffles at a local favorite the next day though 😂

My first meal when I hit Texas is typically Whataburger, which while not a national chain is still a chain. But that's a nostalgia thing. When visiting a new place I want to eat their food.

What's the other chicken tender chain? Monello and I ate there once in I think Charleston WV. It was in walking distance from our hotel and we were starving. It was pretty tasty but we've never done it again.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
My first meal when I hit Texas is typically Whataburger, which while not a national chain is still a chain. But that's a nostalgia thing. When visiting a new place I want to eat their food.

What's the other chicken tender chain? Monello and I ate there once in I think Charleston WV. It was in walking distance from our hotel and we were starving. It was pretty tasty but we've never done it again.
Whataburger :notworthy