Peanuts, anyone?

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Hmmmm......Lawsuit-shy, are we? :loser:

US Airways to stop serving peanuts Sat Jun 3, 7:44 PM ET

Full Story: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060603/ap_on_re_us/brf_us_airways_peanuts

PHOENIX - US Airways will stop serving peanuts on its flights because of concerns about passengers who are allergic to the snacks.

The airline expects to exhaust its peanut supply this month and will then offer passengers pretzels or mixed nuts without peanuts.

Passengers may still bring their own peanuts or food items containing peanuts on flights.

"The flight may not be peanut-free, but we will no longer serve them," Valerie Wunder, a spokeswoman for US Airways Group Inc. said Saturday.

Several other major airlines have already stopped serving peanuts after peanut allergy groups expressed their members' fears of a dangerous in-flight reaction.

Last edited:

Toxick

Splat
sweetpea said:
How about don't eat the damn things if you're allergic. :duh:

But if the airline serves them, you HAVE to eat them don't you?

Not to deviate too far off the track - but are allergies a strictly human phenomenon? Can a dog, or a goldfish or an elephant be allergic to something? I don't believe I've ever seen or heard of an animal having an allergic reaction to anything.

If it is a human thing, what is it about humans that make us suseptable to an allergy.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Toxick said:
I don't believe I've ever seen or heard of an animal having an allergic reaction to anything.

Dogs can have food allergies, my GSD is allergeric to anything containing corn products and sorghum.

Back on topic...
This seems to be just a feel good measure if they still allow people to bring their own peanuts. I've seen articles where some schools don't allow the students to bring any peanut products into the cafeteria because someone might be allergic to them.

bcp

In My Opinion
Hey lets all start a movement of people that are afraid of heights.

lets see if we can make the airlines run their planes down the highway instead of in the air to keep us happy and safe./

donbarzini

bcp said:

lets see if we can make the airlines run their planes down the highway instead of in the air to keep us happy and safe./

:clap: :notworthy :notworthy

bcp said:

Yeah, and they wouldn't need the wings so they could take those off and we could call them busses. :lmao:

fttrsbeerwench

Dear Lugz, I would have streaked the airport, but I'm a afraid of heights and they won't let me have peanuts. :jameo:

Your buddy,
The peanut butter streaker

Pete

Repete
Sharon said:
Dogs can have food allergies, my GSD is allergeric to anything containing corn products and sorghum.

Back on topic...
This seems to be just a feel good measure if they still allow people to bring their own peanuts. I've seen articles where some schools don't allow the students to bring any peanut products into the cafeteria because someone might be allergic to them.
Yea, somone could fall asleep with their mouth open (mouth breathers :duh:) and someone could accidently wing a peanut across the plane and WHAMO instant inflight emergency. I think they should prohibit peanuts within 300 feet of airplanes.

bcp

In My Opinion
Pete said:
Yea, somone could fall asleep with their mouth open (mouth breathers :duh:) and someone could accidently wing a peanut across the plane and WHAMO instant inflight emergency. I think they should prohibit peanuts within 300 feet of airplanes.

so what you are saying is that you think peanuts should fall under the control of homeland security?

Agee

Hasn't only been a few years since the peanut paranoia invaded?

Was a goober allergy test developed, and now the majority of the masses are allergic? :jameo:

"Some times you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't"
"Goobers and Rasinettes"

Last edited:

Pete

Repete
bcp said:
so what you are saying is that you think peanuts should fall under the control of homeland security?
Yes, or at least it should be added to the Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms jurisdiction. The ATFP. A peanut could be a deadly weapon or the cause of a horrible accident. Think about it, terrorists get a hold of a truck load of Planters Dry Roasted, scatter them in the local water supply and WHAMO, hives, wheezing, it would be horrible.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
When I flew to Phoenix in February, I was rathered surprised to see Southwest was serving peanuts. It does seem like there are more cases of peanut allergy but whether this is due to people now being more sensitive to peanuts or peanuts have become more common in our diets and thus more chances for reactions, I don't know. It's not a recent phenomenon, that I do know. I know a guy who died in the early 70's after eating chili that he didn't know used peanut butter as its secret thickening ingredient.

Peanut allergies range from mild to life-threatening. I have a friend whose son is deathly allergic to them and has to be on constant guard to make sure he doesn't accidentally ingest them in even the tiniest amounts. He also always carries an Epi-Pen wherever he goes just in case.

It's like me and my reaction to MSG. It's not life-threatening (at least so far :yay: ) as it's not a true allergy but it's mighty uncomfortable and I have found MSG in the weirdest products. Who would have thought canned vegetables would have it in them?