Pediatrician in Calvert

The wait @ Dr. Silpa's office sometimes is horrible. But I wouldn't go anywhere else. We book all our appts. w/ Melissa or Dr. Silpa and love them to death, as they do our two boys.

Dr. Silpa's experience is amazing and the fact that she is a Neonatologist is even better. She is the only one in the county that I know of.

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
Speedy70 said:
He's still around? :faint: My mom took me to him when I was younger. :lol: Is his office still in Huntingtown?

Both his kids are docs now too. Son was in my HS Drama class.

chewy3384

Captain Obvious!
CableChick said:
The wait @ Dr. Silpa's office sometimes is horrible. But I wouldn't go anywhere else. We book all our appts. w/ Melissa or Dr. Silpa and love them to death, as they do our two boys.

Dr. Silpa's experience is amazing and the fact that she is a Neonatologist is even better. She is the only one in the county that I know of.
I agree. Silpa has lots of experience. I went to her when I was little and my daughter now does as well. Although I later went to Dr. O'cronin in annapolis and he was excellent as well. He was always very to-the-point and frank, but extremely accurate in his diagnosis and treatment. I'm not sure if he still practices pediatrics however.

poster

Speedy70 said:
He's still around? :faint: My mom took me to him when I was younger. :lol: Is his office still in Huntingtown?

My daughter loves him! We are ALWAYS seen quickly and I've never had a problem with an emergency visit to him they schedule right away. He talks with my daughter not me when she sees him so she thinks she's all that when we leave - wonderful bedside manner for kids.

poster

CableChick said:

I used Dr. Silpa first and then switched. I think she's a wonderful doctor but found myself making appointments with Melissa to be seen quicker which didn't make sense to me, I wanted to see Silpa that's why I was there. It wasn't worth waiting and sticking with them for primarily well visits and typical kid stuff.

If my daughter had an extreme health issue however I would go back to her if needed.

beachbunny

SoMd Realtor
I LOVE Dr. Silpa and Dr. Lukban's office. I see Melissa most of the time and she is amazing. Always attentive to the childrens feelings and quick to let me know what I need to do to keep everyone healthy.

Dr. Lukban was so sweet when I first had my son and she visited me in the hospital to see him she walked into my room and saw him and instead of just checking him out and talking to me for a minute she quiickly picked him up, snuggled and rocked him for a while asking me about how we both were doing and later began her exam on him. She is such a warm and caring person and has always gone above and beyond in my expectations with all of my children.

After you are a regular there for a while, as we are... I will just call in and talk to one of the doctors for a question and sometimes I don't even need to come in for an appointment. It was a god send when the kids got into poison ivy last week and we were all itchy and needed help fast!

MyDarlin

MyDarlin
I'm glad this thread is here for Calvert pediatricians!
I'm with Dr. Brooks family practice and I'm just not satisfied (something about his attitude).
I do like Dr. Larson, and the NP is nice too.
IMHO Dr. Brooks is really against prescribing medication. I'm more for a balanced approach. We had a miss diagnosis (several visits) of a fungal infection. He was insistant that it was eczema. Had a culture done, but they NEVER called with the results, and after I asked at the office and called again, they still couldn't produce it.
Had to get Larson to give a referral to derm.
Went to dermatologist and had the results in a few secs (they are equipped for this).
He also gave me a hard time about getting a tetnus for same son who fell on some rusted rebar. He was due for tetnau is 3 months. I had to politely argue to get it and then as I was leaving I heard the receptionist talking ugly about me, but she didn't see me standing at her window (back turned). She got a few choice words from me and is now extremely polite.

While I know this isn't horrible service, I think I could do better.
Since Hawitt was mentioned I'll see if they take my ins.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. :whistle:

poster

I'm glad this thread is here for Calvert pediatricians!
I'm with Dr. Brooks family practice and I'm just not satisfied (something about his attitude).
I do like Dr. Larson, and the NP is nice too.
IMHO Dr. Brooks is really against prescribing medication. I'm more for a balanced approach. We had a miss diagnosis (several visits) of a fungal infection. He was insistant that it was eczema. Had a culture done, but they NEVER called with the results, and after I asked at the office and called again, they still couldn't produce it.
Had to get Larson to give a referral to derm.
Went to dermatologist and had the results in a few secs (they are equipped for this).
He also gave me a hard time about getting a tetnus for same son who fell on some rusted rebar. He was due for tetnau is 3 months. I had to politely argue to get it and then as I was leaving I heard the receptionist talking ugly about me, but she didn't see me standing at her window (back turned). She got a few choice words from me and is now extremely polite.
While I know this isn't horrible service, I think I could do better.
Since Hawitt was mentioned I'll see if they take my ins.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. :whistle:

I would have walked right then with my child's medical records. That absolutely is horrible service. If tetnus is needed and due soon or has never been received then it should be given at the time of incident NOT 3mos. later!!
Plus you're already in the office right, why make you come back in 3mos. for what can be done now? As for the staff, when going to the doctor (especially during a sick visit) there is enough personal worry to deal with. If the staff isn't pleasant then why subject yourself to the extra stress?

We use Hawitt - love him, also his daughter practices in Dunkirk. We see her in his absence and have been just as happy with her.

By the way his staff is wonderful, they're all VERY friendly and will take the time to get to know you.

MyDarlin

MyDarlin
Thanks for the info. I am going to call Dr. Hawitt...they accept my ins.
As for Dr. Silpa, while I don't doubt she is a fabulous ped., I just can't stand wasting my time in a dr's office, is my time not as valuable??
This is by no means the fault of the dr's, but the fault of the scheduling personel and/or parents asking quesitons not related to the visit. JMHO

I had a great ped. once that was a talker. The staff understood this and booked his appts longer than the other dr.'s in the practice, or they would let me know if the appt wasn't first thing in the a.m., there may be a wait, b/c he gets behind during the day. I think it really depends on the office staff/manager.

aperson

We loved Dr. Hawit, but our insurance changed and he wasn't in our list of providers. We now use Dr. Mehta, who our OB/GYN dr. uses, also. We like him and his staff. We haven't had problems with making appointments and they are helpful when you call with a question.
:starcat:

jsouthan

We use Bayshore Pediatrics (410-535-5959). Dr. Singh is my kids primary ped. there, but I would not hesitate to see Dr. Chiu or Dr. Skolnick anytime when I need a sick appointment. I have always been able to get a same day sick appointment without a problem. They also have hours from 5-7pm each night for sick visits. Kinds like their own little urgent care. I have never had to wait more than 5-10 minutes in the waiting room and no more than that once I was in the exam room either. I can imagine those folks that love their doctor and all, but I just could not have my kid sitting there for an hour or more just waiting to see the doctor.

We use Bayshore Pediatrics (410-535-5959). Dr. Singh is my kids primary ped. there, but I would not hesitate to see Dr. Chiu or Dr. Skolnick anytime when I need a sick appointment. I have always been able to get a same day sick appointment without a problem. They also have hours from 5-7pm each night for sick visits. Kinds like their own little urgent care. I have never had to wait more than 5-10 minutes in the waiting room and no more than that once I was in the exam room either. I can imagine those folks that love their doctor and all, but I just could not have my kid sitting there for an hour or more just waiting to see the doctor.

That's who we went with, except my son sees Skolnick. :yay:

TimAllen

Any recommendations for a pediatrician in Calvert (preferably near the hospital)? Or, any pediatricians that I should stay away from? I checked with my insurance company and there are several listed, but I don't know anything about them (I can't even pronounce their names :lol:).

Dr. Silpasuvan / Dr. Lukban in Prince Frederick. They are great. We take our Daughter there. What is also nice is Dr Silpa knows all her patients, if she sees you out and about she says hi and knows your childs name, I think that is great!

Last edited: