People are trying to get around YouTube's new ad-block rules with alternatives

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Over the last few months, some YouTube users have noticed a new popup message warning them to turn off their installed ad-blocking apps in order to continue watching videos on the service. Now, according to a report from Wired, popular ad-blocking apps like Ghostery and AdGuard are seeing record numbers of uninstallations, with users largely citing the YouTube rules as a reason for it.

However, that doesn't mean those users are just accepting YouTube's copious advertisements or paying for YouTube Premium ($13.99/mo) to get rid of them the preferred way. Instead, as Android Authority noted and as you can easily find on Reddit, people are frantically searching for working alternatives.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a free alternative that's guaranteed to work perfectly on an indefinite basis right now.

• One popular browser extension called uBlock Origin seems to be the easiest and best bet right now, with users claiming it works best on Firefox (though it's worked for me on Chrome, too).
  • AdGuard's paid tier also seems to work, per Android Authority.
Some folks are switching browsers to Firefox or even Microsoft Edge just to find a way to watch YouTube videos in peace.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Some folks are switching browsers to Firefox or even Microsoft Edge just to find a way to watch YouTube videos in peace.
I use FireFox but the ads are still forced. I wouldn't even mind so much if they were real ads, but most of them are just crap. "How to lose weight fast on this rice diet" and such. You can skip the ads after a few seconds, but the real video is constantly interrupted.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I've noticed a popup at the beginning of videos telling me to disable Ad block, but after about 5 seconds, the little clock in the upper right hand corner turns to an X that I click on and the popup goes away. :sshrug:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I use one called AdBlock that works.
I've noticed a popup at the beginning of videos telling me to disable Ad block, but after about 5 seconds, the little clock in the upper right hand corner turns to an X that I click on and the popup goes away. :sshrug:
I use AdBlock Plus too, but YT flags it, gave the 5 second countdown to dismiss the warning for a while, then the warnings disappear for a day or two, and THEN you get the "you can watch 3 vids before we block you", and they do. Renders YT useless with the ad blocker. They'll catch up to you eventually.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I use AdBlock Plus too, but YT flags it, gave the 5 second countdown to dismiss the warning for a while, then the warnings disappear for a day or two, and THEN you get the "you can watch 3 vids before we block you", and they do.

I saw that for a day, right before Ad Block updated

Grumpy

I use AdBlock Plus too, but YT flags it, gave the 5 second countdown to dismiss the warning for a while, then the warnings disappear for a day or two, and THEN you get the "you can watch 3 vids before we block you", and they do. Renders YT useless with the ad blocker. They'll catch up to you eventually.
^that

TPD

the poor dad
How the hell can I make any money if y’all are blocking the ads on my videos?! Mama needs a new coat - winter is coming!

stgislander

PREMO Member
I just had Fox News website tell me to disable my Ad Blocker. The thing is I don't have an ad blocker installed. Just plain old Firefox and Duck Duck Go.

Until I figure out what's going on, I can't access the Fox News website.

Grumpy

I just had Fox News website tell me to disable my Ad Blocker. The thing is I don't have an ad blocker installed. Just plain old Firefox and Duck Duck Go.

I didn't think I had one installed but found one enabled in extensions in Firefox

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

maybe Duck Duck go ?