People Freak Out After Oregon Strikes Law Banning Self-Service Gas Stations

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
“I don’t even know HOW to pump gas and I am 62, native Oregonian…..I say NO THANKS! I don’t want to smell like gasoline!” one woman wrote in a comment on a survey the new station posted Dec. 29. The poll elicited more than a thousand responses.

Another shared her opinion, with several commenters suggesting full-service gas stations are safer than those permitting residents to feel the exhilaration of filling their own tanks.

“It is safer for people, if a station attendant does the service. The only advantage of pumping the gas yourself, would be paying a few cents less a gallon. Getting older, and being disabled, I’d rather have the help!” another person wrote, noting there are times when attendants are welcomed.

Still other Facebook denizens were dismissive toward those expressing concerns about a change to the six-decade old law. “It’s official. Oregon is full of mentally defective, full grown children, incapable of the most mundane of adult task,” wrote one person whose reaction was a common one on the thread.

:jet:

:killingme

This_person

“I don’t even know HOW to pump gas and I am 62, native Oregonian…..I say NO THANKS! I don’t want to smell like gasoline!” one woman wrote in a comment on a survey the new station posted Dec. 29. The poll elicited more than a thousand responses.

Another shared her opinion, with several commenters suggesting full-service gas stations are safer than those permitting residents to feel the exhilaration of filling their own tanks.

“It is safer for people, if a station attendant does the service. The only advantage of pumping the gas yourself, would be paying a few cents less a gallon. Getting older, and being disabled, I’d rather have the help!” another person wrote, noting there are times when attendants are welcomed.

Still other Facebook denizens were dismissive toward those expressing concerns about a change to the six-decade old law. “It’s official. Oregon is full of mentally defective, full grown children, incapable of the most mundane of adult task,” wrote one person whose reaction was a common one on the thread.

:jet:

:killingme

I wonder if they are aware that full-service stations are not outlawed, and they can be catered to by any of those that stay in business.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
They should provide a service for disabled customers needing assistance. Most stations have a button that you push to get someone to help you.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Those who love their full service gas stations have obviously never sat in line at one. It takes a good bit longer to get gassed up when you have to wait for someone else to do it.

I've been gassing my own car since I was 16, so it boggles me that someone in their 60s wouldn't know how to put gas in their car. Even when I was a kid back in the late 70s it was rare to find a full service gas station.

Clem72

I wonder if they are aware that full-service stations are not outlawed, and they can be catered to by any of those that stay in business.

Though it can often be a hassle early in the morning or late at night finding full service. But if you are able bodied enough to drive, you should be able to pump gas.

This_person

Though it can often be a hassle early in the morning or late at night finding full service. But if you are able bodied enough to drive, you should be able to pump gas.

These people seem to be able to, just don't want to.

If they don't want to, there are other options. That's all I'm saying.

chevylover

PIP ~ My Baby Boy!
Now I understand why I was asked by a woman from New Jersey for help at a local pump! I had no idea there were people who didn't know how to pump gas, let alone were not allowed to in their state.

black dog

Free America
Now I understand why I was asked by a woman from New Jersey for help at a local pump! I had no idea there were people who didn't know how to pump gas, let alone were not allowed to in their state.

N J has had full service forever.. only for a short period back in the 50's or 60's did some stations offer self service. And then the State outlawed self service.

glhs837

Power with Control
why ?

are people in NJ to ignorant to pump gas ?
a labor / union thing ?

Thats' always been my take. I assume that the Mob found it a great place to hide fake jobs for guys on a crew. Tony "Da Kneecappa" Liguini, he needs a paycheck and a job to show his parole officer after is last stint upstate. Gas station jockey is virtually handmade for that sort of thing.

officeguy

why ?

a labor / union thing ?

The official reason is that it is just too dangerous to allow people to pump their own gas. As you know, in the 48 other states that do allow you to pump your own gas, cars are blowing up left and right every day.

In reality its a job creation measure.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Thats' always been my take. I assume that the Mob found it a great place to hide fake jobs for guys on a crew. Tony "Da Kneecappa" Liguini, he needs a paycheck and a job to show his parole officer after is last stint upstate. Gas station jockey is virtually handmade for that sort of thing.

minus the Mob, I always guessed a make work UNION thing .... but yeah Mob / UNION tie in for the win

black dog

Free America
why ?

a labor / union thing ?

If I remember right the was one gas station owner that wanted to ad self service to all of his stations. A the time all of the states gas station owners had a gentlemans agreement to what they all would charge per gallon...
When this one man added self service to his stations and dropped his price on self service gas he instantly became the cheapest in the state.
So the other owners lobbied along with the State petroleum institute to outlaw self service.. gotta remember that NJ has many refineries and is a huge fuel importer.
Follow the Money...

black dog

Free America
The official reason is that it is just too dangerous to allow people to pump their own gas. As you know, in the 48 other states that do allow you to pump your own gas, cars are blowing up left and right every day.

That's bull$hit... It was about making another 5 to 8 cents a gallon...

It began with this observation: "The Garden State self-service gas station ban dates back to 1949, when the New Jersey Legislature passed the Retail Gasoline Dispensing Safety Act, primarily over concerns about the safety of consumers pumping petroleum themselves."

Well, that's the cover story the legislators gave at the time. What they were really up to is a lot more devious - and corrupt as all get out.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nj.c...as_was_banned_in_nj_corruption_not_safety.amp

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
It began with this observation: "The Garden State self-service gas station ban dates back to 1949, when the New Jersey Legislature passed the Retail Gasoline Dispensing Safety Act, primarily over concerns about the safety of consumers pumping petroleum themselves."

49 :shrug:

Interesting the 1st Self Service Station opened in 1947.

I didn't think Full Service finally went away until the 1970s and the gas crisis

http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf...s_was_banned_in_nj_corruption_not_safety.html

"It was Irving Reingold who created the crisis that led to the law banning self-serve gasoline. Reingold, a workaholic who took time out only to fly his collection of World War II fighter planes, started the crisis by doing something gas station owners hated: He lowered prices. Fifty-one years ago, gas was selling at 21.9 cents a gallon. The price was rigged by a gentlemen's agreement among gas station owners.

"Reingold decided to offer the consumer a choice by opening up a 24-pump gas station on Route 17 in Hackensack. He offered gas at 18.9 cents a gallon. The only requirement was that drivers pump it themselves. They didn't mind. They lined up for blocks.

"The other gas station operators didn't like the competition. Someone tried shooting up Reingold's station. But he installed bulletproof glass, so the retailers looked for a softer target - the Statehouse. The Gasoline Retailers Association prevailed upon its pals in the Legislature to push through a bill banning self-serve gas. The pretext was safety, but the Hackensack fire chief had already told all who would listen that Rein- gold's operation was perfectly safe.

"The bill sailed through in record time, despite the objections of everyone who cared about the public interest. Journalists howled. "Chalk up another victory for the organized pressure groups," said WOR radio commentator Lyle Van.

"Prices went back up. Reingold got out of gas and moved on to other endeavors, such as revolutionizing the sport-fishing business in Florida with boats that were bigger and more luxurious than anyone had seen.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
26195450_281694159023434_8848517193510211536_n.jpg

BOP

Bigot.

Dur-hurds need jobs too.