Pet Adoption Getting Out of Hand

F

Frostillicus

Re: Back to your wanting a GSD

Originally posted by Hello6
My S/O couldn't get a dog from a local rescue group cause he didn't have a fenced in yard.
He sounds gay.

K

Kain99

It's sad really.... A bunch of cranky old hens decideing who is "fit" to take a dog who is living on death row. :frown:

It's ridiculous. I own 56 acres of Non dog fenced yard. I guess I'd be kicked out of the front door. The powers that be... would prefer 1/4 acre fenced yard for the dog to run circles in. :rolleyes:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by cariblue
Please explain to me how visiting a persons house is going to indicate whether or not they're going to care properly for an animal.

Cari, not all places inspect your home. Granted, there's a zealot for every cause and some places go overboard. But they try to make sure a person living in an apartment/small yard situation doesn't adopt a dog that requires lot of space, exercise. Some people are attracted to a certain "look" of a dog rather than one that actually fits into their lifestyle. There are many other things they like to take into consideration. You'd be surprised how many people will say anything just to get an animal and these are the very same people who will ditch it months later.

Last edited:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by Kain99
It's sad really.... A bunch of cranky old hens decideing who is "fit" to take a dog who is living on death row. :frown:

It's ridiculous. I own 56 acres of Non dog fenced yard. I guess I'd be kicked out of the front door. The powers that be... would prefer 1/4 acre fenced yard for the dog to run circles in. :rolleyes:

Cranky old hens? :rolleyes:

Guess your poor doggy crossed into the 57th acre and couldn't find his way back for months. Pets should be supervised or confined. Way too many things than can happen to them, such as becoming lost, hit by a car, being stolen, etc.

B

Bruzilla

"If I were a dog in a shelter, I'd rather be put down than have to go live in a bad home." That's a real easy opinion to have when you're not the one peering out through the chain link fencing, and I think you would have a different opinion if the guy in the heavy boots and lead were coming to get you for the last time.

I have never worked at an animal shelter or for a rescue league, however, I was raised around animals and after raising three kids I have supported a steady stream of animals including dogs, cats, birds, ferrets, and an iguana that they have brought home over the years. I took them in from owners who didn't want them anymore and I nursed them back to health and found new homes for them. Those that I took to the pound were euthenized, so I didn't take very many there after the kitten incident. I did all this at my own cost, and did it with the understanding that it was what was best for the animal. And yes... my wife and I do watch Animal Planet and see the all the horrendous things worthless owners do their pets as seen by the NYC ASPCA. So what does that have to do with this discussion... nothing.

When I said that the adoption process was getting to a point of expense and intrusion into one's life as to make it an undersireable option, there was a hue and cry about how higher fees were needed due to the high costs of operating these shelters, and having sheltered more than a few animals I know that quite well. And that's just the breaks of these activities. If you're going to place unwanted pets you have to be able to move the animals to new owners. Having members of a rescue group taking more and more animals into their own homes isn't any better of a situation than any of those the Animal Nazis mentioned. Some old lady who has dozens of cats running about the house because she won't have them sterilized is no different than some lady with a dozen dogs at her house because she keeps bringing them home to protect them and then doesn't think many adopters are up to snuff. Good intentions or bad, the situation is still bad.

My point is that these rescue operations need to remember to focus on the animal and the owner, and if your rates are too high, or your policies too restrictive, you aren't going to be providing a service to either party. And if your costs get to the point that you can't afford to continue your program, regardless of how valid or essential the costs are, then it's time to put your heart on the back burner and stop providing the support. The more you make yourself an undersirable option the more problems you're going to have.

Lastly... don't let what you see on Animal Planet shape your judgement on adopters as a whole. They pick extreme cases to make the show interesting. How many bad pet owners do they show a year on those shows? 50? 100? Out of how many million pet owners in that area? Using extreme examples to support your case doesn't do much for the credibility of your argument.:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Why get a pet, you can now adopt a convict. NOTE: They like fences too.

B

Bruzilla

Well... after many trips to the TCAS my son found a dog that he really likes. We took the dog out for walk in the back of the shelter and he was very friendly and well behaved, so we adopted him.

The only problem that I encountered was with the Vet's office that was supposed to alter him. When I talked to the vet I got the feeling that I was buying a car at one of those "$1 above dealer's invoice" places. It was like "your adoption fee covers the cost of the basics like altering and rabies vacinations, but hey... let's talk about the options that you can get with this baby!" Before I knew it, the $75 fee to adopt the dog was rapidly expanding into about $500 of nice-to-do options... all for a dog that I had only spent about 20 minutes with. Before long I was about to say "screw the undercoating, just bring the car around." :biggrin:

Now I know why Vets participate in the low-cost spay and neutering programs... like car dealers they're hoping to make up in back-end sales what they lose on the front end. :biggrin:

Hello6

Princess of Mean
Down here in Nawf*ck, the pound makes you pay the $65 fee and all the extra you pay is 16 bucks for the rabies shot at the pet hospital they've contracted to. You can't choose where they get altered, you have to go there. I wasn't too thrilled about the quality of service but they got the job done on the animals I have that were healthy enough to be fixed.
What kind of dog did you end up with?

Hello6

Princess of Mean
Originally posted by Bruzilla
" How many bad pet owners do they show a year on those shows? 50? 100? Out of how many million pet owners in that area? Using extreme examples to support your case doesn't do much for the credibility of your argument.:biggrin:

Yeah, and that's why there are THOUSANDS of pet rescue organizations out there and so many animals needlessly put down because there are so many good pet owners. Extreme examples on Animal Planet aren't blown out of proportion, they are the norm. Kinda like COPS on Fox. The world is FULL of azzclowns and retards. Some hurt people, some start with cruelty to animals.

Cowgirl

Bruzilla, I'm glad you found a dog you like! We'd love to see pics if you have any. (pics of the dog, that is!) :biggrin:

B

Bruzilla

We got a malamute/husky mix. My son has loved wolves all of his life, and he's been harping on me about getting him a wolf hybrid for years. But since they're illegal in Maryland he couldn't get one. So now he's got a nice dog that looks like a wolf but is street legal.

I hate to disagree with you Hello, but the folks on animal planet are not "the norm." You'll never see "the norm" on that channel because it would be too boring. I would also maintain my contention that there would be far fewer animals "needlessly put down" if those offering them for adoption would take a more "businesslike" approach to their services and realize that they are in competition with breeders, pet shops, and the dreaded want ads for a very limited supply of customers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello6

Princess of Mean
Like to disagree with you Bru. The pound I'm volunteering at is all business, not paying much attention to the forms you fill out or checking your home. It has led to some bad stories: dog being starved to death and locked in a closet after being adopted by a Navy couple who decided that going on leave was more important than feeding or taking care of the dog. Dog again, starved to death after being adopted by a homeless couple. PEOPLE SUCK!!! Animal cruelty is so common, it is the norm. Most of the animals that come into the pound were bought from a petshop and backyard breeder, where again, CRUELTY is the norm. (note I said backyard breeder, not reputible breeder) The business type attidude is what puts these animals in peril in the first place: GIVE ME MONEY$$$$$ I don't care what kind of life the dog is going to gave as long as I get my cash. That's business.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Hello, I know just where you're coming from. Bru fails to see that animal rescues are pretty well educated and know exactly what they're up against and don't euthanize their animals. I've just given up arguing with someone who doesn't really KNOW what goes on with shelters and rescue organizations.:rolleyes:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Bru fails to see that animal rescues are pretty well educated and know exactly what they're up against and don't euthanize their animals.
I fail to see that, too. If they don't euthanize and they don't adopt out to just any ol' body, what do they do with the animals?

And if abuse is the norm (meaning that it happens more frequently than not) with animal owners, shouldn't we outlaw anyone from getting a pet? You know, just to be safe?
:confused:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by vraiblonde
I fail to see that, too. If they don't euthanize and they don't adopt out to just any ol' body, what do they do with the animals?

Vrai, they keep them. They are fostered or kept in a facility that the rescue owns. I can't speak to every rescue only the ones I'm familiar with. Many rescues, especially those that are breed specific, have waiting lists. Granted, older dogs or ones that have "issues" take a little longer but they have trainers, vets, etc. and do the best that they can to get the dogs as adoptable as possible.

Hello6

Princess of Mean
And if abuse is the norm (meaning that it happens more frequently than not) with animal owners, shouldn't we outlaw anyone from getting a pet? You know, just to be safe?
:confused:

Just like you should outlaw having kids, since child abuse is so prevalent.:duh:

Won't somebody please think of the children??:bawl: :bawl: :rolleyes:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by Hello6
Just like you should outlaw having kids, since child abuse is so prevalent.
But child abuse isn't the norm - it's the exception. And obviously child abuse isn't all that prevalent, either, because they just did some study that said 70-some-odd% of teens think their parents are doing a good job.

If animal abuse were the norm, I think I'd see more of it, since almost everyone in my neighborhood has at least one pet.

Hello6

Princess of Mean
If animal abuse were the norm, I think I'd see more of it, since almost everyone in my neighborhood has at least one pet.
That's cause they're beating the dog in the house, away from prying eyes.
"Gee Officer, he seemed like a normal guy. Always quiet and kept to himself" after they find 8 bodies in the crawlspace.

Our disagreement was weather Animal Planet shows were exaggerated or the norm. I still say its the norm because of all the dogs I see put to sleep because they are stray, given up by a selfish irresponsible owner. If it weren't prevalent, there would be no need for rescues or the pound itself.