Pet Poison Helpline

Auntie Biache'

Is there a pet poison hot line, like there is for people? I swear, what I had to go through last night...if I could have reached through the phone, I would have throttled someone.

Auntie Biache'

What happened? Is your dog ok?

She is. A neighbor brought me some spider lilies. I set them next to the run fence, and went back in the house to finish dinner. When I went back out to put the lilies into water until I could get them in the ground, Boomer had pulled a bunch through the fence. They have a bulb that's kind of like an onion, lots of juice. She was throwing up, but no plant material was coming up, so she must have gotten enough of the juices from just trying to pull them through the fence.

Anyway, we finally got through it. The ER vet wouldn't even see her until we had a case number with the poison hotline, which costs 60 bucks. One time good deal, mind you. Then another 150 with the ER visit. I don't mind paying it. What pissed me off was trying to set this crap up while waiting for my dog to start going into convulsions. I don't even know where to begin to deal with this so I don't have to go through it again. No one should have to go through this if their pet has possibly been poisoned.

frequentflier

happy to be living
She is. A neighbor brought me some spider lilies. I set them next to the run fence, and went back in the house to finish dinner. When I went back out to put the lilies into water until I could get them in the ground, Boomer had pulled a bunch through the fence. They have a bulb that's kind of like an onion, lots of juice. She was throwing up, but no plant material was coming up, so she must have gotten enough of the juices from just trying to pull them through the fence.

Anyway, we finally got through it. The ER vet wouldn't even see her until we had a case number with the poison hotline, which costs 60 bucks. One time good deal, mind you. Then another 150 with the ER visit. I don't mind paying it. What pissed me off was trying to set this crap up while waiting for my dog to start going into convulsions. I don't even know where to begin to deal with this so I don't have to go through it again. No one should have to go through this if their pet has possibly been poisoned.
Glad he is ok!

Auntie Biache'

Glad he is ok!
Me, too. I hope I never have to go through that again. I'd much rather the vet increase my visit amount, and have a direct communication in place. That would be so transparent, and so much quicker. I just don't get this idea that I need to spend 30+ minutes on the phone with the poison hotline, setting up a one time account, to get a case number for the vet, so s/he can call to discuss what to do. That's insane. A pet could have permanent neurological damage by then, if not dead.

Auntie Biache'

Okay, that's infuriating. Did they say why or is it just more "because we can" ****tard bureaucracy?

I suspect it's to pay for overhead/employees. However, there has to be a better way. I pet could die before you get through this process.

Oh, they said because the poison hotline knows more about poisons. When the hell did veterinarians stop knowing about how to treat poisoned pets?

Auntie Biache'

stgislander

PREMO Member
Damn Goldens. They'll eat anything and everything. Mine is notorious for that.

I'm glad she's doing better. :buddies:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Co-worker had a similar incident happen with his dog recently. Called the vet and was told to give 1 teaspoon (5 ml) for every 10 pounds of body weight of 3 % hydrogen peroxide (higher percentage is toxic) every 15 minutes until the dog throws up. It eventually worked and saved him a trip to the emergency vet.