Petco

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
For the dog's itchy skin the employee ideally would have said, "Look at these shampoos..." (first pushing the store brand), then would have suggested a diet change, "Perhaps you would like to move to a food that includes Omega-3s..." (for which the store probably also has their own brand, or one they sponsor). So I'd say the fault there is a shoddy employee, because if the company allowed everyone to be that way the company would look stupid - not to mention they would lose a lot of money not promoting their in-house brands.

I agree and will also add, it's a chain retailer and NOT a specialty store. I think a PETCO would be the last place I'd go for advice on my pet.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I think having birds as pets is the epitome of mean. Imagine this, you are a tropical bird, you live in a rain forest or jungle and you have the gift of FLIGHT. You can soar around, you can fly over there --------> than then back over there <----------------- you can perch in a tree top, on a bush, basically anywhere you want. Perhaps the closest to pure freedom ever, the ability to fly. Sure life is hard sometimes but her you can FRIGGIN FLY!

So you get nabbed in a net while cruising through the rain forest. Next thing you know you are crammed in a 2 square foot cage and your primary flight feathers are snipped so even if you were allowed out of prison you would have to walk to get away and you were never equipped to walk.

Just plain mean.

You totally forgot the ability to poop on people's heads and get away with it.

rmorse

I agree and will also add, it's a chain retailer and NOT a specialty store. I think a PETCO would be the last place I'd go for advice on my pet.

I'd tend to disagree. I go to both chain and speciality, and have found that you get the idiots/people who don't know jack at both stores. I would agree that they seem to be proportionately more prevelant at Petco/Petsmart.

However, given that there is still a risk that the people at the specialty stores don't know jack, I would still go to both for advice. I would not buy anything off of there advice though. I would research what they are saying when I get back home to the interwebz.

I have gotten very good advice from peeps at Petco/Petsmart, and crappy advice from specialty stores. Bottom line is - Don't blindly follow anyone. Everyone is trying to get you to buy their stuff. Do your research.

glitch

Devil's Advocate
You are correct. They belong to the owners and are not for sale. As soon as it warms up, they will be out of the store.

Well, that makes me feel a little better about the situation but I still don't feel they're being provided with an adequate habitat. But, that's just my opinion.

Teach

Confirmed Sybarite
Well, that makes me feel a little better about the situation but I still don't feel they're being provided with an adequate habitat. But, that's just my opinion.

Every spring and summer the turtles live in the owner's fenced backyard. They are inside the pet store during the cold months, and inside the owner's house during severe or unseasonably cold weather in spring/summer/early fall. I know this because my daughter and her friend like to go to that pet store and wondered where the turtles were. Asked and answered.

jrsgirl2007

Everyone will be able to go into any pet store and find an issue with something. My only point in posting is to make sure that all of the facts are known before posting anything negative on a community forum about our local businesses. No one is perfect and, certainly, no business is perfect. With that being said, I hope everyone who is interested in purchasing a pet will research everything they can before hand. It will eliminate the unknowns and will, hopefully, help people enjoy and care for their pets for as long as they live. I've seen too many people get a pet because they thought it was "cool", only to discover that the care and maintenance was more than they could handle.

BuddyLee

Football addict

Attachments

• 282nk7r.jpg
    282nk7r.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 62

frequentflier

happy to be living
Everyone will be able to go into any pet store and find an issue with something. My only point in posting is to make sure that all of the facts are known before posting anything negative on a community forum about our local businesses. No one is perfect and, certainly, no business is perfect. With that being said, I hope everyone who is interested in purchasing a pet will research everything they can before hand. It will eliminate the unknowns and will, hopefully, help people enjoy and care for their pets for as long as they live. I've seen too many people get a pet because they thought it was "cool", only to discover that the care and maintenance was more than they could handle.[/QUOTE]

The animal shelters and rescue groups are full of those *cool* animals.

B

Bean

We were back at Petco on Saturday and I witnessed a store employee, thin black male jumping at the bird enclosures and roaring loudly. I asked for the store manager and was told she was not available. It honestly took great restraint not to throttle the punk.

rmorse

We were back at Petco on Saturday and I witnessed a store employee, thin black male jumping at the bird enclosures and roaring loudly. I asked for the store manager and was told she was not available. It honestly took great restraint not to throttle the punk.

Wasn't me, I'm the thin white male.

EDIT: Next time, ask for the Manager on Duty. There is only one store manager, but there is always a manager on duty.

Last edited:

Sydney

I'd shop somewhere else.

Cheshire_Cat

Tattoo ADDICT!

What I don't understand is if you have such a problem, and you have so much self restraint, why you don't restrain yourself from going into the store at all? You have not responded to anything that has been said in this entire thread that YOU started, except to complain, again. I still have not seen any response to the question of if you have spoken to anyone at the store. If not, then why not? It seems to me that your true concern is not for the birds. It seems as though you are visiting this store just for the sake of an argument and attention getting. Which leads me to believe that you are an antagonizer, and have nothing better to do with your time.

frequentflier

happy to be living
What I don't understand is if you have such a problem, and you have so much self restraint, why you don't restrain yourself from going into the store at all? You have not responded to anything that has been said in this entire thread that YOU started, except to complain, again. I still have not seen any response to the question of if you have spoken to anyone at the store. If not, then why not? It seems to me that your true concern is not for the birds. It seems as though you are visiting this store just for the sake of an argument and attention getting. Which leads me to believe that you are an antagonizer, and have nothing better to do with your time.

Maybe Bean is looking for a job and figures he or she can stir up enough sh!t to get people fired? :mystoreisnothiring: