Photgraphers

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by Sharon
Tonio where do you get this stuff from?

I was married in a Southern Baptist Church and we had alcohol and dancing.

Believe it or not, from http://www.etiquettehell.com

Here are some samples:

My cousin, Chad, married a beautiful girl named Kiley last summer. Their wedding was gorgeous, the dresses were beautiful and the church was perfect. Aside from her large family seeming like a rather motley and restless bunch, everything was fine during the ceremony. Our side of the family is very small, so the antics on the bride's side of the church were pretty obvious, but I thought nothing of it because there were a large number of teenagers. Everything at the church went off without a hitch. Now Chad and Kiley became Baptists during their engagment. This meant no liquor at the wedding, and certainly no open bar. The buffet dinner was nice and people seemed to have a good time dancing despite the lack of alcohol. The reception started at 8:00. By 9:30, the reception hall was nearly empty. Confused and dissappointed for Kiley, I began to gather my own family and said my goodbyes to the bride and groom. I had to take my elderly grandmother home 35 miles away, so I had planned to leave early anyway. The new Mr. & Mrs. seemed unconcerned that pretty much everyone had left. But I was wrong. I went outside in the parking lot to pull the car around for my grandmother and found a wild, drunken tailgate party in full swing. Kiley's family, apparently aware in advance of the lack of an open bar, had brought along their own beverages. Kegs full. Coolers were everywhere, ice spilled out of trunks and everyone, including all those underage, were rip-roaring-wasted and whooping it up. Many of the girls weren't wearing their shoes anymore, or even some of their clothing. People were hollering, guzzling, fighting. I managed to rescue my car from the lot and retreive my grandmother (also a staunch Baptist) without her witnessing any of the mayhem. I couldn't beleive that the attractive, smart, well-educated and well-employed Kiley belonged to these people in the parking lot. I no longer wonder why no one had ever met anyone from Kiley's side of the family until just a few days before the wedding. Guests1004-01

Much to mine and Holly's disappointment, there was no dancing. Seems that
somebody on Keith's side of the family invoked a "no-dancing" ban for
religious reasons. (Keith's family is Southern Baptist.) Funny how the
bride was not informed of this beforehand!

Now it's time for toasting the happy couple. To my disappointment, they used
Seven-Up, but between Holly's family being Mormon and Keith's being Southern
Baptist, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. But I decided it wasn't
going to kill me, so I raised my glass up with everybody else--except one
blonde witch standing next to me, who said, and I quote, "What the f*** do I
care about their happiness?" I looked at her, completely stunned, and said,
"Excuse me?" She looked at me and said, "You heard me b****. Why should I
care if they're ever happy?" I responded in a whisper, "You will raise your
glass with a smile on your face or I will break your damn jaw." Yes, I know.
Hardly the way to handle the situation, and I was immediately sorry, and I
felt badly. It could have gone way bad. But I guess the girl thought I
meant it, because she raised up her glass. Didn't smile, but as long as she
kept quiet, I didn't care.

Turns out she was Keith's ex-girlfriend. She heard he was getting married
and managed to get the details from *somebody* and crashed his wedding!

J

justhangn

Originally posted by blueeyes76
My aunt and uncle are strict Baptists and they didn't come to my brother's wedding because there was alcohol!

Mental note, marry not a Baptist. :biggrin:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Tonio where do you get this stuff from?

I was married in a Southern Baptist Church and we had alcohol and dancing.

I'm pretty sure the "true" Southern Baptists are strictly opposed to drinking, dancing and gambling. Oh yeah, and smoking too!

The meaning for Southern Baptist in this context is similar to jews and orthodox jews, with the Southern Baptist religion being very strict.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by cattitude
I'm pretty sure the "true" Southern Baptists are strictly opposed to drinking, dancing and gambling. Oh yeah, and smoking too!

Maybe that's why they asked me to leave. :lmao: j/k

~~~~~~~
Tonio

I have found that Baptists are like the Heinz 57 of dogs. Each church has their own set of rules and how strictly they are enforced among the members. Before joining the SB's I was going to a Baptist church and they were very uptight there and also very hypocritical.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I have found that Baptists are like the Heinz 57 of dogs. Each church has their own set of rules and how strictly they are enforced among the members. Before joining the SB's I was going to a Baptist church and they were very uptight there and also very hypocritical.

Thanks for the info, Sharon. I don't know a lot about the different Protestant denominations. I attended the Unitarian Universalist church for a couple of years, but I found that the congregation was beset with infighting.

When I was a kid, my family went to a Lutheran church for a while. One time the kids rejoined the congregation after Sunday School, and a preacher pulled two kids up to the pulpit to tell the story of Job. He had one pretend to have her tongue cut out, and the other pretend to have his eye put out. This was pretty scary to me. I thought, "Why is he telling stories about mutilating children?"

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Photographer

I am using DP Photography in Waldorf. My uncle owns Captured Moments (they have a picture booth in the mall by JC Penny) and he trained him. He is very reasonable and does top quality prints.

Also, my sister used Darrin Farrell and he exposed all her phots. She didn't have any then had the nerve to get upset when she asked for her deposit back. Thank god my fiancee and my uncle brought digital cameras and took them behind him for backup or there would be no memory of her wedding at all.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Re: Photographer

Originally posted by jeneisen
I am using DP Photography in Waldorf. My uncle owns Captured Moments (they have a picture booth in the mall by JC Penny) and he trained him. He is very reasonable and does top quality prints.

Also, my sister used Darrin Farrell and he exposed all her phots. She didn't have any then had the nerve to get upset when she asked for her deposit back. Thank god my fiancee and my uncle brought digital cameras and took them behind him for backup or there would be no memory of her wedding at all.

I saw them in the phone book today. Do you have a price list for them???

Cheetah

If you want someone to provide classy, traditional photos, I can recommend the person we used. We used Mark Uehling in Bowie, if he still lives there (this was over 5 yrs ago). That may be a bit far from where you live. He does photography as a hobby, so he is VERY reasonable (around $600-700???) and far from pushy or in your face. He basically lets you run the show and you show him the kind of poses and such you want. He also came up with some cute candids for us. He only does one wedding a month and is very quiet/conservative person. We ended up using the wedding proofs as our album in a nice proof-size photo album we received as a shower gift. We also had many reprints made up for family and friends. I know so many friends that got the fancy, expensive wedding photography packages with photo shoots, etc. and now their albums are collecting dust in the closet. Just some food for thought....

Cheetah

Mark Uehling Photography - 301-262-0601. I think that was his home residence, so his family might answer the phone.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
I had a friend who used Darrin before and I was there at the wedding. I can only hope he has gotten better in his photographic abilities. The pics were awful IMHO. But since they are divorced now I doubt they care about the wedding photos. :wink:

We used Darrin a few years ago for a large family photo session and it sucked!!!!! The pics weren't great, and outrageously priced. Not to say he's generally bad, but the experience I had with him wasn't great.

watercolor

yeah yeah
UGH! Well with all that being said about Images, will most definatly not go there. LOL

Anyway, Lauren...who are you getting? Just wondering. I checked on the one from Jenneisen and man!!! they are expensive. 1500 for just the package we want. 750 deposit, that is non-refundable. GEEZE. hello?!?! I am on a budget here :lol:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
My advice about wedding photography is to go as basic as you can, and then buy what you want after the proof album comes back. Make sure the photographer will give you the entire proof album as part of their service fee.

Sometimes, in our little community, the best don't advertise in the Yellow Pages, or have a storefront.

Harry Cusic and his daughter, Melinda Farr are a local "secret." They don't lock you into all these packages and junk like that. Hire them to do your wedding, and you'll be satisfied, and they won't unload your wallet. You'll get a beautiful album, and then you can buy whatever pics you like, at a fair price. (Not the double-retail price that the photo companies charge.) They have tons of experience, dress formally, and even help to coordinate your wedding as it happens. We used them a few years back. You won't be disappointed.

Look Harry up in the regular white pages, at his residence in Mechanicsville. Again, my frame of reference is over 4 years old, but I'd be surprised if they charge you anywhere close to $1500, even after the Mom's get their albums.

Last edited:

watercolor

yeah yeah
Originally posted by Nodnarb
Look Harry up in the regular white pages, at his residence in Mechanicsville. Again, my frame of reference is over 4 years old, but I'd be surprised if they charge you anywhere close to $1500, even after the Mom's get their albums.

REally? :really: Hrm...will have to check them out. Should I recommend you??:wink:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by watercolor23
UGH! Well with all that being said about Images, will most definatly not go there. LOL

Anyway, Lauren...who are you getting? Just wondering. I checked on the one from Jenneisen and man!!! they are expensive. 1500 for just the package we want. 750 deposit, that is non-refundable. GEEZE. hello?!?! I am on a budget here :lol:

I'm using YourMostPerfectDay.com. They're not what I'd call 'cheap', but there are plenty of perks - like you get all pics on a CD as well as ALL the negatives. So that means that you are able to get the pics you want reproduced at a much cheaper rate by going anywhere you want (since the rights to all pics immediately belong to you). Other photographers charge so much from the start, not counting what they want to charge you afterwards for the pics you order. Check 'em out online anyway, they have samples of some photos by the various guys, etc... Greg (owner) came to our house with samples of albums, pics, videos, dvds, etc... I was really impressed!

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Well DP is pricey but you get what you pay for. Their work is quality work and not as we would say in the "county wedding budget". I got a deal b/c they are friends of the family but when I called around for prices from other photographers with the same experience and equipment, they weren't over priced. Good luck finding one you are happy with. What ever you do just make sure you get to keep the negatives. Laureng is right, its much cheaper that way.