Phyxius - Fly Predator ?

fredsaid2

Do you use fly spray along w/ the Predators? Instructions say to be careful because it will kill the wasps. Flys are not bad yet, have been turning out w/ leg wraps but the different horse flys are bothersome. Tks!

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
I would spray them before spreading the fly predators. Or, away from where I've spread and away from places they may go...so like if you have a dry, place away from any manure or water, maybe there. Generally I only have to spray my guys when I take them off my property. I also use spot on fly repellant that works rather well. But, if you use it do a spot test first, some horse's are too sensitive.

Wait4It..boom

I did the Fly Predators this year too (thx to Phyxius!) and have seen a big decrease in the flies. I started late so we were getting eaten for a short spell. Others that come on the farm have noticed the decrease too. I get my double shipment next month which should finish the rest of the little buggars off, but the deer flies are still bothersome for us too. I think Phyxius does a natural fly spray that doesn't have pesticides, right?
I was considering buying one of the "traps" that attracts the other fly species that the fly predators don't get. Something similar to this: Horse Pal® Horsefly Trap - Newman Enterprises, Omro, WI - biting flies, horse fly, deer fly, yellow fly, greenhead, horsefly, deerfly, fly bites, fly trap, bitingflies, horsepal
Has anyone got one?

fredsaid2

I did the Fly Predators this year too (thx to Phyxius!) and have seen a big decrease in the flies. I started late so we were getting eaten for a short spell. Others that come on the farm have noticed the decrease too. I get my double shipment next month which should finish the rest of the little buggars off, but the deer flies are still bothersome for us too. I think Phyxius does a natural fly spray that doesn't have pesticides, right?
I was considering buying one of the "traps" that attracts the other fly species that the fly predators don't get. Something similar to this: Horse Pal® Horsefly Trap - Newman Enterprises, Omro, WI - biting flies, horse fly, deer fly, yellow fly, greenhead, horsefly, deerfly, fly bites, fly trap, bitingflies, horsepal
Has anyone got one?

This one looks like it could be easy to replicate.

Epps Biting Fly Trap

Seems to be t-posts, tarp, and two pans of soapy water.

Wait4It..boom

It looks simple enough. I can't get over how much they all are though. Figure I could "engineer" one a little cheaper (if it works). Don't want to go through the trouble if it won't.

fredsaid2

wow thats pretty interesting

The site talks of transparent shields so I guess it's not as simple as it appears. Still, I think something like it could be rigged up. I'd love to see those pans full of horse flies, sheep flies and those green headed things!

fredsaid2

I would spray them before spreading the fly predators. Or, away from where I've spread and away from places they may go...so like if you have a dry, place away from any manure or water, maybe there. Generally I only have to spray my guys when I take them off my property. I also use spot on fly repellant that works rather well. But, if you use it do a spot test first, some horse's are too sensitive.

Tks Phy! Since I pulled the leg wraps out of storage they don't appear to be bothered more than if I sent them out sprayed.

I should get my 3rd shipment this week. This month should show how much less the flies are. If I can clean stalls w/o being eaten alive I will say they are a success. :smile:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
This one requires you to dump and refill the soapy water every couple days where the other one does not as the flies are caught in a jar that you empty when it's near full.

I saw plans online to make them both - will see if I can find the links.

QUOTE=fredsaid2;3790859]This one looks like it could be easy to replicate.

Epps Biting Fly Trap

Seems to be t-posts, tarp, and two pans of soapy water.[/QUOTE]

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Horse Journal did a review of these traps and let me see if I can find it - I recall that you have to find the right location for placement, but when you do, they work like a charm!

Has anyone got one?

mingiz

Horse Poor
Very interesting I use to use the plastic jugs that you baited with anything that would rot and water. They worked good but the clean up was gross.....:whistle: